Lets Talk About Beer!

torgo

I'm afraid to ask, andy. What is lawnmower beer?? Please tell me it just means you drink it while mowing the lawn :P

Exactly! The cheap stuff you drink while mowing the lawn. I mean, who would power down a Founders Breakfast Stout when its 95 degrees out and you are dying of thirst? Not me. I would take an Oberon though :D

BTW: What were you afraid I was gonna say?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly! The cheap stuff you drink while mowing the lawn. I mean, who would power down a Founders Breakfast Stout when its 95 degrees out and you are dying of thirst? Not me. I would take an Oberon though :D

BTW: What were you afraid I was gonna say?

I kept thinking of White Castle "sliders", and thought this might be the beer version :sick:

Talk about old! I remember 25 cent drafts (Stroh's of course) at the Embassy Bar on Lake Michigan Drive west of GVSU. Went down nicely after class at GVSU in 1972. $25 cent hotdogs too from what I remember.

Today I can't get enough of a well-poured Guinness at either the Black Rose in GR or the Curragh in Holland. Both have well trained bartenders who know how to do it right.

Founders had an Imperial Stout once....mmmmm. You can't get much thicker or yummier than that, 20 proof to boot.

Yah, they still have it. Also breaking the 10% mark are a Belgian Quad and their Devil Dancer "Extreme" IPA. I think they only serve those in 8 oz. glasses now. Gee, I wonder why :lol:

Hey you darn whippersnappers, Publius and I (and probably a few others) are of a similar vintage. (no pun intended there). And when we were of an age, microbrews were something that your buddy made up in his bathroom. (How I recall drinking homebrew made with chlorinated water -- the experience should have been, but alas was not, enough to get me off beer forever).

And I remember those days of Coors in the trunk and Strohs as a distinctive "fire-brewed" beer, not a pathetic Schlitz wannabee.

And you know what, Publius?

Coors is water. Corona is water. Bud Light is water.

Give me Spaten Oktoberfest or a nice Franzsikaner -- something that isn't "ale" but nice a mitteleuropa brau -- and I am happy.

Man, I've been itching for some Pumpkin Ale. NOT Ichabod Ale :sick:

I attempted to buy some at Martha's a couple weeks ago and a buddy told me it was "too early" and that I'd "ruin it" if I bought it outside of October. So I waited. Now it's 9 days into October and I have yet to allow my tastebuds to enjoy the tasty, spicy flavor of a delicious Pumpkin Ale.

That's the last time I listen to one of my friends...

Man, I've been itching for some Pumpkin Ale. NOT Ichabod Ale :sick:

I attempted to buy some at Martha's a couple weeks ago and a buddy told me it was "too early" and that I'd "ruin it" if I bought it outside of October. So I waited. Now it's 9 days into October and I have yet to allow my tastebuds to enjoy the tasty, spicy flavor of a delicious Pumpkin Ale.

That's the last time I listen to one of my friends...

It's gotta be close, some of the bars are advertising it. I'd imagine they'll be getting it in this weeks delivery

I was in Kalamazoo on Saturday night and I was envious of the microbrew options in that town.

They have Bell's Eccentric Cafe, of course, with all of those tasty ales and stouts. But right across the street from Bell's is Kraftbrau, a very understated tap room with eight or nine hand-crafted beers on tap (including root beer for the DD). I tried the Kraftbrau Oktoberfest, which was outstanding. And both pubs are non-smoking, which was all right by me! (For the nicotine addicted amongst you, smoking is permitted outside in the beer garden at Bell's and on the deck at Kraftbrau.)

I would love to see either place expand operations and open up a brew pub in GR. I don't believe there is anything on the local scene that can match the unique atmosphere at either of these places. To our credit, we have some pretty unique spots of our own in which to unwind with a fine malted beverage -- just none quite as nuevo bohemian as Bell's or quite as gritty as Kraftbrau.

I was in Kalamazoo on Saturday night and I was envious of the microbrew options in that town.

They have Bell's Eccentric Cafe, of course, with all of those tasty ales and stouts. But right across the street from Bell's is Kraftbrau, a very understated tap room with eight or nine hand-crafted beers on tap (including root beer for the DD). I tried the Kraftbrau Oktoberfest, which was outstanding. And both pubs are non-smoking, which was all right by me! (For the nicotine addicted amongst you, smoking is permitted outside in the beer garden at Bell's and on the deck at Kraftbrau.)

I would love to see either place expand operations and open up a brew pub in GR. I don't believe there is anything on the local scene that can match the unique atmosphere at either of these places. To our credit, we have some pretty unique spots of our own in which to unwind with a fine malted beverage -- just none quite as nuevo bohemian as Bell's or quite as gritty as Kraftbrau.

I don't know if it is still open, but Club Soda was always THE BEST place to see live bands. Especially when Rollinghead (90's local Kzoo grunge band) was still around righton.gif

The beer garden at Bell's had just opened when I was leaving town.

I don't know if it is still open, but Club Soda was always THE BEST place to see live bands.

Yep. Still open. We actually went down there to see a band at Club Soda, but squeezed in a couple of pints before the show.

We have a few good ones here, they are just too dang far apart. Founders is as good as Bells if you ask me (as far as beer quality, I've never been to the brewery). GR Brewing company at 28th and Beltline has some good ones too, and Schmohz at 28th and Patterson (I think) has a few pretty good ones, too. Unfortunately, you'd waste half your night driving to get to them all in one evening. There are probably others too, but I am coming up blank for others in GR. ;)

Ichabod tastes like an Avon Lady's over-perfumed arm. NOT GOOD!

I have Screamin' Pumpkin Spiced Ale Made by Michigan Brewing Company

www.michiganbrewing.com TOP NOTCH!

Or, Pumpkin Ale By Buffalo Bill's Brewery, Haward, CA

Both are AWESOME.com

Wow! Good info. I just had to run to Meijers :P to get some other stuff, and was looking forward to grabbing some good brew after reading this thread. Boy, Meijer's selection of beer SUCKS and I didn't have time to run anywhere else :( I ended up with some Sierra Nevada gobbledy guck, and treats for me and my wife ;) !

Archived