Lets Talk About Beer!

torgo

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow! Good info. I just had to run to Meijers to get some other stuff, and was looking forward to grabbing some good brew after reading this thread. Boy, Meijer's selection of beer SUCKS and I didn't have time to run anywhere else I ended up with some Sierra Nevada gobbledy guck, and treats for me and my wife !

While the beer selection isn't good at most meijers, I've noticed the wine selection is awesome at most of the new ones.. but we're talking beer here.. so never mind.. don't want twoshort to get upset at the offtopicness :rolleyes::lol:

While the beer selection isn't good at most meijers, I've noticed the wine selection is awesome at most of the new ones.. but we're talking beer here.. so never mind.. don't want twoshort to get upset at the offtopicness :rolleyes::lol:

I have found for good beer selection you gotta go to the specialty stores like marthas. Theres also a newer place on kalamazoo just south of m-6 that has an excellent beer/wine selection. And most of the beers in those places are refridgerated, the way god intended. :D

I have found for good beer selection you gotta go to the specialty stores like marthas. Theres also a newer place on kalamazoo just south of m-6 that has an excellent beer/wine selection. And most of the beers in those places are refridgerated, the way god intended. :D

Smitty's in Eastown has a good selection.

So I was a Divani on tuesday night, and we tried this Rasberry beer which the name has left me. It was extremely red (like strawberry margarita red) and SOOOOOO good. They added a shot of chocolate vodka to it, and it was DELICIOUS.. it also ended up costing us $11 each :blink: , but it was a tasty treat.

So I was a Divani on tuesday night, and we tried this Rasberry beer which the name has left me. It was extremely red (like strawberry margarita red) and SOOOOOO good. They added a shot of chocolate vodka to it, and it was DELICIOUS.. it also ended up costing us $11 each :blink: , but it was a tasty treat.

was it the "rubeaus" or whatever its called that founders makes?

Uhm.. i know this is the "beer" thread, but seriously, who doesn't enjoy a good box o wine once in a while. I know its midnight and I'm enjoying my 5 liters of goodness. :lol::alc:

I actually read that it's a growing trend and many of the wineries around the world are switching to box, as the "bag" style preserves wine better than the old cork method. Even though wine snobs think the cork is a requirement.

Just to let you know I tried the Founders Pale Ale draft with Maryland crabcakes at the Bostwick Lake Inn last night..

You may recall it was recommended to me as the lightest of the local beers?

Sorry, lol, but it was still too heavy and stout for me,--it absolutely overwhelmed the taste of any food with it, and I left the glass standing half full..., so Corona is still my preferred beer with good food...

As for wines, the Australian shirazes and cabernets are excellent, better than equivalent Californian cabernets and merlots and at a lower price than the California wines--look for Little Penguin and Yellowtail especially--these good Ausie wines are creating great competition in the wine aisles...

:)

Just to let you know I tried the Founders Pale Ale draft with Maryland crabcakes at the Bostwick Lake Inn last night..

Sorry, lol, but it was still too heavy and stout for me,--it absolutely overwhelmed the taste of any food with it, and I left half the glass standing half full..., so Corona is still my preferred beer with good food...

As for wines, the Australian shirazes and cabernets are excellent, better than equivalent Californian cabernets and merlots and at a lower price than the California wines--look for Little Penguin and Yellowtail especially--these good Ausie wines are creating great competition in the wine aisles...

Next time, try the Extra Pale Ale, as the Pale is rather "hoppy", especially if you aren't used to it. The extra is the closest they have to a "regular" beer. Sorry you didn't like it! :(

And a good Australian wine (that's cheap, too) is the Yellowtail brand. ;)

Sorry, lol, but it was still too heavy and stout for me,--it absolutely overwhelmed the taste of any food with it, and I left half the glass standing half full..., so Corona is still my preferred beer with good food...

I love some of the new Aussie wines. BTW publius, if it ruins the taste of the food, you're supposed to leave half your MEAL on the plate, and finish the beer ;)

Next time, try the Extra Pale Ale, as the Pale is rather "hoppy", especially if you aren't used to it. The extra is the closest they have to a "regular" beer. Sorry you didn't like it! :(

And a good Australian wine (that's cheap, too) is the Yellowtail brand. ;)

Yellowtail Chard is our table wine of choice. I am not as wild about the reds.

For a great cheap Zinfandel, try Cline (about 6.99 a bottle out here). Can that be purchased in Michigan? I remember seeing a lot of really cheap (in California) wine being sold at high prices in the Great Lakes State.

• 1 year later...

I am in love with Bell's HopSlam, Dogfish Head's 120 Min. IPA, and Founder's Devil Dancer. Those are the beers I go ga-ga over, but if I'm on more of a budget that night, I'll usually buy a Founders Centennial IPA sixer or a Mad Hatter by New Holland. I try to support these locals as much as possible. Another great one is the ESB up at Schmohz on Patterson. MMMMMMMM......

BTW, Dad can we get this topic moved to the coffee house? It may be more suited for that forum. Cheers!

Holy cow, where do I begin?

When I go out, its usually club-like venues, so I stick to light, cheap beers like Miller Lite.

But when I want to drink good beer I don't discriminate. Bell's Oberon and Corona (w/lime...I don't care what man law says) are both fantastic summer beers. Leinenkugel is also pretty good. I've been itching to find some good pumpkin ale (Ichabod just did not cut it for me), so I was glad to see some suggestions here. Anyone looking for some good imports and microbrews for that matter should check out DeReuze's Market across from Rivertown (I know, I know). I went there a few months back to get my dad some beer from England for his birthday that he really likes but is hard to find. I've also been itching to get down to Cincinnati to get my hands on some Christian Morlein!

I don't know how you guys feel about Blueberry Ales, but I have has some nasties in the past. There is one by Bar Harbor Brewing Company out of Portland, Maine that is fantastic. It has just the slightest hint of Maine blueberry essence to it - the biggest sin of any flavored ales are overdoing the raspberry/blueberry/allspice/etc. This one is a great beer I drank for a week straight out in Maine and am very happy to be able to find it (semi-regularly) here. I buy mine at Kingma's Market on Plainfield just north of Knapp.

I've been itching to find some good pumpkin ale (Ichabod just did not cut it for me), so I was glad to see some suggestions here. Anyone looking for some good imports and microbrews for that matter should check out DeReuze's Market across from Rivertown (I know, I know). I went there a few months back to get my dad some beer from England for his birthday that he really likes but is hard to find.

Archived