Lets Talk About Beer!

torgo

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Holy cow, where do I begin?

When I go out, its usually club-like venues, so I stick to light, cheap beers like Miller Lite.

But when I want to drink good beer I don't discriminate. Bell's Oberon and Corona (w/lime...I don't care what man law says) are both fantastic summer beers. Leinenkugel is also pretty good. I've been itching to find some good pumpkin ale (Ichabod just did not cut it for me), so I was glad to see some suggestions here. Anyone looking for some good imports and microbrews for that matter should check out DeReuze's Market across from Rivertown (I know, I know). I went there a few months back to get my dad some beer from England for his birthday that he really likes but is hard to find. I've also been itching to get down to Cincinnati to get my hands on some Christian Morlein!

• 4 months later...

Everyone's favorite beer, Oberon, is being bottled as we speak and will be back on Monday, March 24, 2008! I am very excitied about this years batch. Looks like there will be a few release parties down here in Kalamazoo, I wonder when it will be available in GR. According to the Kzoo Gazette, mini-kegs won't be available until May. Check out how cool the design is this year!

http://www.mlive.com/kalamabrew/index.ssf/...inikeg_lab.html

Another article:

http://blog.mlive.com/kalamazoo_gazette_ex.../ad_lib_43.html

UP kegger anyone?

Everyone's favorite beer, Oberon, is being bottled as we speak and will be back on Monday, March 24, 2008! I am very excitied about this years batch. Looks like there will be a few release parties down here in Kalamazoo, I wonder when it will be available in GR. According to the Kzoo Gazette, mini-kegs won't be available until May. Check out how cool the design is this year!

http://www.mlive.com/kalamabrew/index.ssf/...inikeg_lab.html

Another article:

http://blog.mlive.com/kalamazoo_gazette_ex.../ad_lib_43.html

UP kegger anyone?

I must say Oberon is my favorite summer ale with very little competition. Anhueser-Busch's Beach Bum is terrible. Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat is good to the point that it is like Fruity Pebbles without Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble. I enjoy Sam Adams beers and ales except for their Summer Ale. There is too much lemon zest in it and ruins the beer.

I am surpised that not many people are mentioning the Dark Horse Brewery in Marshall. I went to the World Expo of Beer in Frankenmuth last year and I came way very impressed with their product especially Sapient Trip Ale. It is available in the summer but it is a Belgian Style Triple Ale. I have not been able to find it anywhere. I am not even sure if they distribute it but it is definately worth trying.

Mark May 16th and 17th on your calendars for the World Expo of Beer in Frankenmuth. Its $5 to get in and $1 per sample.

New Holland's Zoomer is being released in conjunction with the Tiger's opener (March 31st) according to their website. If you put an orange in your Oberon, put a lemon in your Zoomer. Red Tulip is also available now for the Spring. Not quite in the same family as Zoomer, Oberon, etc., but Red Tulip is in my opinion a great way to ease your tasetbuds back into the summer brews. It's their special Tulip Time beer. They even got the festival to name it the official beer. I also heard they had to switch the name of Lucid back to Full Circle, but they are still using the much improved Lucid brew.

I love Oberon as much as the next guy (probably more), but between Portland and Seattle and the many breweries in their surrounding areas (Full Sail, Deschutes), I don't think there is any shortage of fantastic beer in the Pacific Northwest. :)

I recommend Elliot Bay Brewery in West Seattle (get the Chocolate stout with the brownie sundae!!) and Elysian Brewing Co. on Capitol Hill (best pumpkin spice beer I've had).

That being said, the way things are going with it, I wouldn't be surprised to see Oberon appearing on the west coast in the next couple of years.

• 11 months later...

Couple of local beer related things:

If you like Oberon, there are 41 places with Oberon release "parties" (some places will likely doing more than others) on Monday where you can sample your first Oberon pint of 2009. Grand Rapids has far more than any other place in the state on this list on the Kalambrew blog.

http://www.mlive.com/kalamabrew/index.ssf/...et_your_fi.html

Also, Beer Wars is a movie about the recent revival of the craft brewing industry and how the big brewers have been trying to keep them from increasing their market share. They could not get a distribution release, so they are doing a live broadcast at theaters around the country at 8pm EDT on Thursday, April 16th.

http://beerwarsmovie.com/

Local screening at Celebration North: http://celebrationcinema.com/?pid=184&id=1542

• 2 weeks later...

Hear the sledges with the bells -

Silver bells!

What a world of merriment their melody foretells!

How they tinkle, tinkle, tinkle,

In the icy air of night!

While the stars that oversprinkle

All the heavens seem to twinkle

With a crystalline delight;

Keeping time, time, time,

In a sort of Runic rhyme,

To the tintinnabulation that so musically wells

From the bells, bells, bells, bells,

Bells, bells, bells -

From the jingling and the tinkling of the bells.

Oh, wrong kind of bells.

Hear the sledges with the bells -

Silver bells!

What a world of merriment their melody foretells!

How they tinkle, tinkle, tinkle,

In the icy air of night!

While the stars that oversprinkle

All the heavens seem to twinkle

With a crystalline delight;

Keeping time, time, time,

In a sort of Runic rhyme,

To the tintinnabulation that so musically wells

From the bells, bells, bells, bells,

Bells, bells, bells -

From the jingling and the tinkling of the bells.

Oh, wrong kind of bells.

I recently got to sample some special cask aged beers at the Beer Advocate Night of the Barrels brew fest in Boston.

You should know that I could live in Greand rapids simply because of that night.

I am a huge fan of double IPA's I love hops, fresh hops, and well I gotta say that I reall really enjoyed the HAND OF DOOM cask aged double from Founders. To me it was the hit of the show.

Founders brought four beers and all four were excelent cask aged. I like a good cask aged beer. I think most people do not. Here is what they brought.

I called my local beer store and tried to get them t order hand of doom, but founders does not distribute. Such a shame since that was a special beer.

Founders Brewing Co. (MI)

foundersbrewing.com

Backwoods beotch

Bourbon barrel-aged Scotch Ale; 10.2%

Curmudgeon

Old Ale; 9.8%

Hand of Doom

Bourbon barrel-aged Imperial IPA; 10.8%

Kentucky Breakfast Stout

Bourbon Barrel Aged Chocolate Coffee Stout; 11.2%

You should be able to scrounge up some bottles of Double Trouble without too much trouble (ha!), especially if you trade on BA. Hand of Doom is just barrel-aged Double Trouble.

Too bad you missed a couple of their other good (GR-only) beers - Canadian Breakfast Stout (breakfast stout aged in maple syrup barrels) and Bourbon Barrel Red's Rye (no catchy name for that one, I guess). Founders also has a new summer beer in bottles replacing Rubaeus, called (I believe) Cherise (cherry ale). Cheers!

Archived