Lifestyles shopping center

jschutMTU

Found this today:

http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=3935252

Grand Rapids, October 4, 2005, 12:19 p.m.) There was a blow to a proposed development along the ever-growing East Beltline Tuesday. At Grand Rapids City Hall, officials said "no" to a request to build.

A representative from Evergreen Properties left in a huff after the Grand Rapids City Commission unanimously rejected a request to rezone the property for what was being called a lifestyles shopping center.

The property is at Old Orchard located on the northeast corner of Knapp and East Beltline. Evergreen Properties wanted to turn the area into a new type of shopping mall, one where you can drive up to the stores from the outside.

There were a few problems. The area wasn't zoned for it, and there are already plans to build another lifestyles center just down the block in Grand Rapids Township. That project is still being discussed and debated.

The Grand Rapids Planning Commission approved the rezoning in August, but Tuesday the City Commission felt they could bring in more tax revenue from the way the land was originally zoned.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Found this today:

http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=3935252

Grand Rapids, October 4, 2005, 12:19 p.m.) There was a blow to a proposed development along the ever-growing East Beltline Tuesday. At Grand Rapids City Hall, officials said "no" to a request to build.

A representative from Evergreen Properties left in a huff after the Grand Rapids City Commission unanimously rejected a request to rezone the property for what was being called a lifestyles shopping center.

The property is at Old Orchard located on the northeast corner of Knapp and East Beltline. Evergreen Properties wanted to turn the area into a new type of shopping mall, one where you can drive up to the stores from the outside.

There were a few problems. The area wasn't zoned for it, and there are already plans to build another lifestyles center just down the block in Grand Rapids Township. That project is still being discussed and debated.

The Grand Rapids Planning Commission approved the rezoning in August, but Tuesday the City Commission felt they could bring in more tax revenue from the way the land was originally zoned.

Wooohoooo! Power to the People! Stick to small strip malls on 28th Street, Evergreen!

Evergreen Properties wanted to turn the area into a new type of shopping mall, one where you can drive up to the stores from the outside.

:rofl:

Whoa-ho-ho!!! Now thats a wacky idea if I ever heard one. Way to think outside the box, Evergreen! <_<

hooray, hooray, for good common sense, and for different governmental units working together (gr township officials did some lobbying here from what I understand)

there is still the issue of the evergreen folks having forced a proposal on the grtownship ballot (via a misleading petition drive with shady door-to-door tactics) to try to force the township to gut its progressive zoning ordinance (which is in conformity with all long-range zoning plans all the governmental entities agreed to earlier)...

the developer for the other area a mile further north (4mile, ne corner) is so far in conformity with all current zoning in his plans last I heard, but if the evergreen ballot proposal passes, gr township progressive zoning codes will be gutted, and pandora's box will be open along the whole east beltline corridor...

ugh...

:(

So this was supposed to be exactly like Eastwood Towne Center then.

I doubt it. Eastwood was built in one big chunk by Aikens, so if flows together. Evergreen's would have been more like Celebration Village, too many outlots, difficult to walk from the "street" to the "outlots", etc.. Plus a nice 40' high block retaining wall on the Eastern side :wacko:

IMHO -

I think "lifestyle" centers are kinda jive in the first place. Really just strip malls with souped up facades. Perhaps making fat assed citizens walk a little more to shop is a good thing, but I'm not sure the "Disneyland-ization" of an downtown shopping experience helps the cause of urban renewal.

I mean, if you're from the burbs, why support government efforts (i.e. tax breaks for development, shifting of infrastructure expenditures, etc.) to renew a city's core when you can have a similar look and feel outing without such nasty realities as the homeless, broken glass, noise, and all the other things we love (or at least expect) about the nitty-gritty city.

Besides, if you GOTTA go to a GAP or Pottery Barn, why not encourage and support one that sets up shop in a rehabed building or neighborhood?

I think "lifestyle" centers are kinda jive in the first place. Really just strip malls with souped up facades. Perhaps making fat assed citizens walk a little more to shop is a good thing, but I'm not sure the "Disneyland-ization" of an downtown shopping experience helps the cause of urban renewal.

Against lifestyle center.

I mean, if you're from the burbs, why support government efforts (i.e. tax breaks for development, shifting of infrastructure expenditures, etc.) to renew a city's core when you can have a similar look and feel outing without such nasty realities as the homeless, broken glass, noise, and all the other things we love (or at least expect) about the nitty-gritty city.

For the lifestyle center?

Besides, if you GOTTA go to a GAP or Pottery Barn, why not encourage and support one that sets up shop in a rehabed building or neighborhood?

Against it.

I'm a bit confused by this post.

was it meant to be like the "lifestyle" shopping center in Novi??

Fountain Walk

They're all pretty much one in the same, although I have seen some better than others. theSuburbs, if you have been to the Village of Rochester Hills, they are looking to put one similar to that at 3 Mile and Beltline (not at this location being discussed). I think Kib was being sarcastic in the second part. In my opinion, suburban malls will never die, it just depends on what takes their place. Like Kib said, if it gets the fat asses out of their cars to walk more, it might not be a bad idea.

Twoshort -

"I think "lifestyle" centers are kinda jive in the first place."

That would put me in the against category ! Sorry if I was unclear...

BTW - RE: Drinking beer during a movie

Here's a linky to a couple of guys in Portland helped change the face of the city:

MacMenamins

Long story short: They started out with a goofy little tavern serving beer other than Bud, PBR, etc. Thier father is/was a lawyer, and got a state bill passed allowing microbrews made on premises to be served. In the process of building thier now empire, they've rehabed old movie theaters, a couple of abandonded schools and the old county "poor" farm into pubs, B&B's, and resorts (of sorts).

Best movie I saw powered on beer was Madonna's "Truth or Dare" The whole place was pretty drunked up and doing a Mystery Theater 3000 during what was a presumptious self-serving film effort. Plus a dollar gets you in the door !!!!

Best movie I saw powered on beer was Madonna's "Truth or Dare" The whole place was pretty drunked up and doing a Mystery Theater 3000 during what was a presumptious self-serving film effort. Plus a dollar gets you in the door !!!!

Mystery Theatre 3000 :rofl: I loved that show! Is that on anywhere anymore?

Archived