Disney at Oceania?

soloextreme

i dont know if this has already leaked out on the forum because im just simply to lazy to use the search, but i know a daughter of one of the architects on the board at Disney and she said her dad was here visiting to do asbuilts of the property oceania sits on and the surrounding area. him and his crew spent a week here asbuilting the sorrounding area for potential development. she wont tell me anymore than that, and we had to get her drunk to tell us that much. anyone know anything about this?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i dont know if this has already leaked out on the forum because im just simply to lazy to use the search, but i know a daughter of one of the architects on the board at Disney and she said her dad was here visiting to do asbuilts of the property oceania sits on and the surrounding area. him and his crew spent a week here asbuilting the sorrounding area for potential development. she wont tell me anymore than that, and we had to get her drunk to tell us that much. anyone know anything about this?

Thats awesome! Lets hope it pans out. Im not going to hold my breath though.

she insinuated taht it was not going to be a "Disney world or land" but something related to Disney.

Well we need something to fill that gap of a hole in our economy but i would rather do that with high paying jobs and not tourist things but I guess you take what you can.

the whole thing sounds really weird to me. i just dont get it. its virginia beach for god sake. why here?

Who cares as long as it is successful and it helps to fill the void of Oceana. That is if the navy lets go of the land. I've heard on multiple occasion that the navy will not let it go back to the city or state. Thats bs that they send the jets away and then not give the land back.

Very interesting. I'd love to read future developments on this topic.

it would probably have to be 'decontaminated' as welll.....

Yes, cleaning up former military bases takes years. <_< But other cities have found the old bases useful to turn in airports, and other economic development around the cities. But with the corporates going on (Corporate Landing, West Oceana Corporate Park, etc), I'd see a high-tech training school or some high-paying jobs instead of homes on the site. We already have enough homes, so to attract high-paying jobs, we need something to train the graduates of colleges or high schools to enter the high-tech workplace with ease. It's sad there are too few high-paying jobs around here, since the region is suffering from a brain drain. A lot of people have usually left HR for Richmond, Northern VA, Raleigh-Durham and Charlotte.

I'd see the high-tech center working with ODU, NSU and TCC to help people enter the workforce with more skills and the region will not have a brain drain. :)

First of all welcome to the forum odu. It is always good to see new people here. Secondly, I have been preaching for sometime now about the need for more decent paying jobs in the region. I too realize at one time brain drain was/still could be a big problem but I am hoping it has slowed somewhat - although I really don't know. We have some good schools and such but still we lag in wages. The cities need to do more to recruit and retain these kinds of businesses for our region.

ODU's 2005 State of HR Report

Check out the chapter on High Tech Jobs and the one on Creative Class.

HR leads Richmond in total high tech jobs, number of firms, and high tech growth but lags in total wages. Both are way behind NoVa. And they trail growth in Cville and Roanoke/Blacksburg.

NoVa cited GMU's growth as a catalyst in high tech growth. Considering the growth around Tech and UVa, it is easy to see university research drives high tech growth. Like NoVa will gov't research, HR has military research. What it lacks is a strong research university. ODU needs to step up. It looks like they have a plan in place by including a research park in their building campaign. NSU has the RISE center, but ODU is really the leader.

Let's go over here and discuss this more. It is interesting to note that we have more high tech firms and such (I will take time later to read the report). But what is the exact correlation between having a research university and high or better paying jobs? I can understand it from a small perspective that yes, having research in the area could benefit all .. but just how and to what extent a research university impacts a region I cannot grasp.

That's how we roll up at GMU! :lol: GMU is also part of the Washington Consortium (or something to that effect) where it works with universities like GW and Georgetown on various fronts.

Also, these stats seem to make pretty good sense. NOVA has the largest population center (though it is way ahead in high-tech by leaps and bounds) followed by the 2nd highest concentration center, followed by the third and so on...

It would be really nice to see some type of consortium develop amongst HR universities.

Archived