Dowtown Atlanta Revitalization

Newnan_Eric

Does anyone know what became of the proposed Memorial Drive / MLK corridor revitalization? A study was performed a few years ago (see link), but I haven't heard anything about progress on this project.

I know they are proceeding with the Capital Homes redevelopment, but the corridor revitalization proposed some interesting things. The linear park between the two streets leading to Oakland Cemetary would be great. The proposed Gateway Mall extending Eastward from the State Capital Building would have been fantastic and would transform the area that is a wasteland of parking decks.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know what became of the proposed Memorial Drive / MLK corridor revitalization? A study was performed a few years ago (see link), but I haven't heard anything about progress on this project.

I know they are proceeding with the Capital Homes redevelopment, but the corridor revitalization proposed some interesting things. The linear park between the two streets leading to Oakland Cemetary would be great. The proposed Gateway Mall extending Eastward from the State Capital Building would have been fantastic and would transform the area that is a wasteland of parking decks.

Any thoughts?

Hey Newnan Eric, Welcome to the forum glad you found it.

I don't know about Memorial drive but the linear park is still planned. Of course the money to do all of these projects has to be found and since the next streetscape project will be around Centennial Park, this one would be down the road a bit.

BTW there is already a thread concerning downtown revitalization

Hey - we're talking about my neighborhood. Let me tell you what I know.

Much of this plan is in the hand of developers, one of course is Capitol Gateway, which is definitely underway. Part of the linear park is still planned, this would be the last phase of Capitol Gateway, which a retention pond will be built & two city blocks will then become a park. Long term plans do include the State building over the freeway & tearing down the parking deck for a westside park extension. The eastern part of the park towards Oakland Cemetary is still long term. Oakland Gateway is a planned TOD, but still appears far in the future. A project that has been announced, but is still in design is Oakland View (I think that's the name) which received TAD funds for infrastructure improvements. This will be a 4 to 6 story condo with street level retail at Memorial & Boulevard. That same developer has other plans for Memorial Dr, as they were part of the design team for the Memorial Corridor study.

Other plans are for streetscaping & intersection improvements on the east side of Boulevard portion of Memorial Dr. There are a number of other projects in design or under construction towards the proposed Belt Line.

Archived