Sylvan Heights

Onyte9

Sylvan Heights is the neighborhood that sits next to Sylvan Park. I lived there when I was a young teen and it was pretty run down and drug and crime infested. I would just like to say man has that area came a long way. I passed through there today and noticed 6 or more new infill houses being built within a block of each other and many more renovations. The good thing about this area is that the quality of the homes being built is great. I know there are many other areas where neighbors are upset because developers build houses that are unattractive and or dont suit the area well ie Salemtown. There are also 3 urban loft type homes that can be seen from I440. I think these homes are awesome. I got a chance to talk to the developer today and he said they are building 7 more, two of wich they are working on right now. He told me the first 3 sold for $125 a sq ft, I believe they are around 2000 sq ft. These infill developments get me excited especially in a area I once lived in.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^ I think I saw those the last time I was in town. I wondered if they were the beginning of something bigger. If they are the houses I'm thinking of, then they have a helluva a view for the money (250K). And they look like something you'd find in Malibu. That's a great piece of land there.

This area from what I gather is south of Charlotte Pike. I'm not real familar with that specific area, but it sounds like some positive developments are taking place which is good news. I've thought for awhile now that some of the areas out in West Nashville off Charlotte Pike were prime for future redevelop and growth if the right planning and concepts were carried out, so maybe this will be the start of such a trend in that general area of town.

The area is bordered by Charlotte, i440, and Sylvan Park. Only rail road tracks seperate it from Sylvan Park. The success in Sylvan Heights is directly related to its proximity to Sylvan Park. As everyone knows Sylvan Park is one of the more successful older neighborhoods in Nashville.

In light of everything going on in the adjacent quarters of the city, I can see that the area has a lot of potential. I guess it's been slowed down a bit b/c of the industrial business along Charlotte.

Those lofts on the hill over I-440 are very noticeable and look like they're of very high-quality materials. Aren't some of them built with a metallic exterior? It seems to me that there is room for even more than the 10 planned there. That's the kind of infill that Nashville needs. Nice start.

Those homes that line 440 parkway look like homes that are built in the hills of California, they are very slick.

Onyte9--you are right about the view from that area too--especially right at the interchange where 440W ends-- it shows Nashville as a dense, urban place more than any other view of the skyline does. Its the best I have seen. I have often wondered why postcards or panos are not shot from that view, but I have found that it is a difficult picture to take, w/out being on the freeway.

Yeah the view is beautiful. I believe most postcards are shot from the other direction so they include the coliseum wich isint visible from the west side. Also if you wanted to take pics of the skyline all you would have to do is turn on 33rd off of charlotte and you actually get a better view than the interstate provides. This is the street the lofts are located on.

As for the lofts yes they are made of high quality materials. Up close they are beautiful. The way the developer talked if they keep selling good he will keep building them. He owns a pretty good area of property on both sides of the road wich I'm sure its took years to aquire. He told me exactly where the next 5 will be located but he was talking pretty fast and pointing here and there so Ipicked up on most but not all. From what I picked up by talking to the guy for just a min or two was that he the developer/architect/carpenter is actually building the homes his self with a team of around 5-10 workers. I'm always in the area so I'm gonna stop by time to time and if I find out anything new I will keep you guys posted.

Archived