Great day trips from Greenville

gs3

Just curious to hear from you guys your favorite day trip from Greenville. You know, a gorgeous Saturday, you want to head out, but just for the day. With Greenville's location, there are so many! Your favorites?

I'm curious because this coming Saturday, if the weather is great, I'm heading up to US 64 between Hendersonville and Chimney Rock. Apple country. All the apple stands along this winding road. Pies, jelly, cider, etc. Kind of fun on a gorgeous day in a convertible! :)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great topic, gsupstate! I really love the many weekend options we've got here in Greenville. There are too many to post in a short time, but one of my favorites is visiting the quaint little arts & crafts towns of Highlands and Cashiers, NC. If you like a little alpine flair, Helen, GA is a unique trip. I personally love taking time now and then (not recently) to go fly fishing in the many streams and rivers near highway 11 and north. Ahhh..... Now you've made made wish I was going this weekend. B)

Asheville is always a favorite for me. Hendersonville, too. Sky Top - especially during Apple season. :thumbsup:

A nice trip up U.S. Highway 276 through Brevard, over to Cherokee, and then back along the Blue Ridge Parkway to Asheville is always great during the Autumn!

Athens, Georgia, too.

There are so many :D

This one is not a full day of riding at all, but a very nice trip nonetheless. Check out the quaint little towns of Landrum, SC and Tryon, NC (neighbors) for a wonderful antique and artsy shopping experience. Stop for a lunch break at The Hound and Hare in Landrum. I also LOVE the nice little bookshop/cafe on Main. :wub:

This one is not a full day of riding at all, but a very nice trip nonetheless. Check out the quaint little towns of Landrum, SC and Tryon, NC (neighbors) for a wonderful antique and artsy shopping experience. Stop for a lunch break at The Hound and Hare in Landrum. I also LOVE the nice little bookshop/cafe on Main. :wub:

Ah yes, one of my first explorations when we moved down. :thumbsup:

That is a great day trip Skyliner! :thumbsup: Add on Saluda and stop by The Purple Onion for dinner.

The trips to the mountains are great but here are a few different trips. Try Abbeville for a change of pace and a trip back in time to a old southern town were not a lot has changed. Their are several bed and breakfasts to stay at and you can catch a play at the Abbeville opera house. It is a old town with a lot of civil war history and nice old town square. This can be part of a larger loop that includes Athens.

Pendleton is another old town to explore and is near Clemson.Their are antique stores and restaurants around another old square in Pendlenton. When in Clemson try Nicks on Sloan street for some good bar food or shot some pool at Tiger Town Tavern. Their are several historic homes on campus and the SC botanical gardens are located near the campus also. Weather you are a football fan or not you have to check out death valley and look for the historic cemetery near the stadium.

Thank you for mentioning Abbeville, TREY. That is one of my favorite places to visit on a weekend. I love the historic town center and the rich historic buildings found all around it. While there, you've got to eat at Yoders, the authentic Menonite family restaurant. This is a place you'd typically find only in Central Pennsylvania, around Lancaster. It is very well known and lines can be astronomical, but it is highly worth the wait. :thumbsup:

Landrum, Tryon and Saluda are a great day trip. They are known as the "String of Pearls." Check out Pearson Falls in Saluda- a very relaxing and relatively short hike. The SideStreet Cafe in Tryon is a great restaurant from what I hear.

Landrum, Tryon and Saluda are a great day trip. They are known as the "String of Pearls." Check out Pearson Falls in Saluda- a very relaxing and relatively short hike. The SideStreet Cafe in Tryon is a great restaurant from what I hear.

Thanks for the idea Spartan! I've never seen Pearson Falls. Love all the falls around Upstate and Western NC. Will have to check this one out! :thumbsup:

Side Street Pizza is what you're referring to. It's on South Trade Street (US-176) in downtown Tryon. It's always packed!

Raven Cliff is a good hike by itself. You can do it in half a day, which is nice.

If you've got all day, there is a pretty strenuous hike down into the valley and back up over the falls. In the valley, to get over Matthew's creek there are two cables. You walk across on one cable and hold on to the other. At the top, to cross over the falls, there is a suspension bridge. If you do it, make sure you have a good trail map and maybe a compass or GPS. :shades:

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Here is a great day trip (afternoon trip) from Greenville. The Blue Ridge Barbeque Festival in Tryon. I went last year....really fun. Tryon is such a great little town anyway and only about 45 minutes away. The barbeque was fantastic and met a lot of really cool artist who have moved to the whole Flat Rock / Saluda / Tryon area. Check it out! :thumbsup: It's on June 9 and 10 this year.

http://www.greenville.com/news/brbbq0506.html

Here is a great day trip (afternoon trip) from Greenville. The Blue Ridge Barbeque Festival in Tryon. I went last year....really fun. Tryon is such a great little town anyway and only about 45 minutes away. The barbeque was fantastic and met a lot of really cool artist who have moved to the whole Flat Rock / Saluda / Tryon area. Check it out! :thumbsup: It's on June 9 and 10 this year.

http://www.greenville.com/news/brbbq0506.html

I'll second that about the festival in Tryon. Good blue grass music, excellent bar-b-que competition with participants from all over, not too expensive. Only advice is bring your appetite.

And I would reccomend the Side Street Cafe pizzeria in Tryon - best pizza in the area.

And finally, expect the first rounds of the NCAA baseball playoff next weekend in Clemson.

Archived