Great day trips from Greenville

gs3

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Folks, this is one of the greatest reasons to live in Greenville - and it is something nobody in the World can take away from us! Great shots. gsupstate!!! :wub:

And don't EVER let them either! ;) 20 years ago, there were parts of Florida that I could never imagine being developed, but the developers have gobbled them up in the past five years or so. :angry:

Can you guys tell me where specifically gsupstate's photos were taken? Thanks!!

And don't EVER let them either! ;) 20 years ago, there were parts of Florida that I could never imagine being developed, but the developers have gobbled them up in the past five years or so. :angry:

Can you guys tell me where specifically gsupstate's photos were taken? Thanks!!

All of the photos execept the last were off of 276 on the way up to Ceasers Head in Greenville County and then on to Brevard in Transylvania County. The last one (the large rock outcropping) is just on the Parkway a few miles west of where 276 intersects the Parkway north of Brevard. Called Devils Courthouse, you can take a trail to the top and the views are spectaular. US 276 is a great day (or morning) trip. Lots to see in a very short distance. :thumbsup:

All of the photos execept the last were off of 276 on the way up to Ceasers Head in Greenville County and then on to Brevard in Transylvania County. The last one (the large rock outcropping) is just on the Parkway a few miles west of where 276 intersects the Parkway north of Brevard. Called Devils Courthouse, you can take a trail to the top and the views are spectaular. US 276 is a great day (or morning) trip. Lots to see in a very short distance. :thumbsup:

Well, that's a relief about the last photo, I was afraid that Caesar's Head had gone "Old Man on the Mountain" on us. ;)

Cool! Thank you! I'm leaving next week and staying in Greenville for six days. :shades:

Well, that's a relief about the last photo, I was afraid that Caesar's Head had gone "Old Man on the Mountain" on us. ;)

That would be awful! Yikes! I felt really sorry for New Hampshire when that happened. :( Since that time though, I always think about it when I'm on any kind of lookout....Chimney Rock, Ceasars Head, etc.....always planning the safest jump/getaway in the back of my mind should anything happen while I'm standing there. Silly I know. :silly:

Cool! Thank you! I'm leaving next week and staying in Greenville for six days. :shades:

Enjoy Greenville and the Greenville area!! Lots to see and do!! :D

That would be awful! Yikes! I felt really sorry for New Hampshire when that happened. :( Since that time though, I always think about it when I'm on any kind of lookout....Chimney Rock, Ceasars Head, etc.....always planning the safest jump/getaway in the back of my mind should anything happen while I'm standing there. Silly I know. :silly:

How funny! I have thought the same thing several times over the years. :lol: Anyone been to Devil's Kitchen overlook at Caesar's Head State Park? Talk about a beautiful view with a blood-tingling thrill! It was closed to the public awhile back, but I believe it opened back up sometime fairly recently.

I finally made it up to Dupont State Forest Sunday and hiked up to Triple Falls, High Falls, and Hooker Falls. These are all well worth the trip. The trails are wide and fairly easy (except for one short steep part.) There's a marvelous swimming hole below Hooker Falls.

High Falls:

160387915_dcfb04d8c5.jpg

Covered bridge at the top of High Falls:

160386880_74bff2188e.jpg

Triple Falls:

160384734_371ae6bfff.jpg

Hooker Falls:

160382689_c6797f4072.jpg

And one more of Hooker Falls:

160381517_51d33fb040.jpg

Absolutely stunning, Beowulf! Thank you for posting these for our enjoyment. :D

Another Great small trip is to Whitewater Falls on the way up to Cashiers, NC. These falls, on the border of North and South Carolinas, are one spectacular place to explore. Beware of the danger though; people have died around the Upper Falls.

I have hiked through the Dupont State forest and further on down the Horsepasture River till it's no longer safe.

That river may be the most wild and dangerous stretch of wilderness in the Eastern US, at least this side of Maine. Only a few people dare travel the length of the banks of that river to its outlet on Lake Keowee.

Here is a picture of High Falls last February.

50659922_f08caac5f0_b.jpg

Beautiful photos Beowulf and whitehourseview!!! :wub:

Part of what first drew me to Greenville was the proximity to these beautiful mountains....you can go hiking in the wilderness all day and then have an urban evening downtown. The best of both worlds!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Awesome pictures all! I love those mountains - give me that over a beach anyday! (I miss my Pennsylvania mountains too!).... Since I live in Columbia, I make a weekend trip out of visiting the Landrum, Tryon, Saluda area (for thrift shops, antiques and mountain roads - Saluda being my favorite of the three I think) and be sure to take the back road (176) from town to town... and whenever I go I stay at the Mountain Inn & Suites at the Flatrock (first Hendersonville) exit off 26 - excellent place, friendly staff, nice rooms, nice breakfast buffet! Last year I decided to head to the mountains/Asheville area but these small towns grabbed my attention and Asheville got pushed to the side!

Several weeks ago I decided to make the trip again and I left Columbia, hit Charlotte (with a purpose) and drove from Charlotte across to the Hendersonville/Flat Rock area, stayed at the hotel mentioned above Fri & Sat nights and then headed down 25 to Greenville on Sunday to spend the day there - wonderful weekend!

I'm definitely saving the info in this thread, thanks all!

K

These little towns are all really quaint! A beautiful drive to Saluda is to take the back way and head up the mountains by the lake in the Greenville watershed area. Sorry, not sure of the road numbers or names, just know the route visually. Anyone know the actual road numbers? There's no stopping on the sides of the road through the watershed area, but it's beautiful and will give you great appreciation for why Greenville's water is so clear and pure. :thumbsup:

Somewhere, if I can find them, I have photos from Saluda from 2004 when we had a really heavy snow. Such an adorable town. I took the photos from the bridge over the railroad tracks, looking down Main and everything is white except the railroad tracks. Love this place! :wub: The Purple Onion is a great homestyle food restaurant in Saluda. Check it out.

One of the best books I've come across is "South Carolina, a Day at a Time" by Caroline Todd and Sidney Wait. It's not a comprehensive list of interesting spots in the state, but it does point out lots of out-of-the-way places.

It's one the few guidebooks to the state that doesn't just dwell on the coast and give a cursory mention to the Upstate.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

A few photos from Cesars Head today:

Two of four cyclists I saw climb to the top of Cesars Head along US Highway 276 today:

244869592_148a0499e1.jpg

People watching the "River of Raptors" flying thousands of feet above in periodic waves of 100+ birds, heading south along their migration paths:

244869601_a461fccd91.jpg

244869603_713367a75b.jpg

Wildcat Branch Falls along Highway 11, near Cesars Head:

244878978_bfee4c1406.jpg

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived