Einstein in Jacksonville

newzgrrl

Hello all UPers! I keep taking hiatuses from the forum, but I'm back for now.

Anyway, I thought I'd post about a really cool thing at my newest place of employment. (Lakelander or another moderator, if you believe this is out of line, feel free to delete.)

The Karpeles Manuscript Library Museum's newest exhibit displays important documents by Albert Einstein. There are numerous manuscripts relating to his development of the Theory of Relativity, the Special Theory of Relativity and the General Theory of Relativity. There are also on display letters pertaining to religion and the Holocaust, and a few German physics books.

Admission is always free. On Oct. 5, as part of the Art Walk (take the trolley to visit the Karpeles), a month-long benefit will begin with a reception and silent auction. The beneit is for a New Orleans-based artist who lost her home, studio, and 30 years' worth of work after Hurricane Katrina.

Regular museum hours are Tuesday-Saturday, 10-4 and Sunday Noon-4. The Karpeles is located at 101 W. 1st St. (corner of 1st and Laura). Art Walk hours are 5-9 with an after-party at Main Street Bakery & Deli.

Aside from advertising the show, I'll just say that it's a cool exhibit. I got to put it together the first day we had it and it's really quite inspiring to see ol' Al's signature and handwriting. It almost - ALMOST - made me wish I'd paid more attention in physics class.

And on another related note, the Karpeles is under new management. The current director took over in May and I've been here since mid-August. We're trying to turn around the program and restore its reputation within the community. If you visited a few years ago and were unimpressed, give it another chance. If you've never been before, come on by. It's truly inspiring to see an original document.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived