If not Greenville

Greenville

Earlier tonight I was thinking about cities I like. We obviously all love Greenville in this forum, and see it as a great place. But assume you couldn't live in Greenville (assume that it doesn't exist if that makes it easier for you). What are three other places would you consider living?

I will go first. I can think of a few places I would like to live. There are other places I bet I would like, but I am just going by places I've lived/visited/spent enough time in to have a good idea of what they are like. Anyway, assuming I could only pick three, I would consider the following:

1. Washington, DC - As many of you know, I lived in DC from August 2004-May 2005. I really enjoyed my time there, and still miss it. I love the architecture of many of the buildings. It is very dense and feels quite urban downtown. The Metro is amazing. And there are some wonderful restaurants and hotels. I still miss the unique neighborhoods there, like Dupont Circle, Georgetown, and Adams Morgan. One thing I am not too wild about is the traffic. If I lived there, I would hope to live in the Virginia suburbs and live very close to work, or live in the city and walk/ride the Metro.

2. Chicago, IL - I visited Chicago for the first time this summer, and absolutely loved it. I couldn't believe how clean the city is despite being such a large city. It was also landscaped quite well, with trees and nice flowers along the road. One pleasant surprise was how friendly the people there were. People there seemed much friendlier than other big cities. And while it's not cheap, it is much cheaper than New York (that is the main reason why NYC isn't on my list - I love the city, and would love living there if money were no object, but at this point I can't justify the price tag).

3. Atlanta, GA - I have always enjoyed Atlanta. It's not on par with the two cities listed above, but it does have some things going for it that I like. It is fairly close to home, and has a lot to offer in the way of things to do. It has managed to be a big city while still retaining some of its southern charm. I am not crazy about the sprawl there, nor how dirty some of the downtown areas feel. I do like Buckhead, however, and Dunwoody is a nice area as well. I could live in ATL, although I would miss the cooler weather that is found in the other two cities.

Okay, I am very curious to hear where everyone else would consider. Don't hold back! I expect everyone who is a regular here (as well as those who aren't) to respond with their choices. :thumbsup:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most of the places mentioned so far are nice, but between the traffic & the cost of living I would have a difficult time voluntarily moving to those places. DC is great & I love Chicago!

I'd probably not go back to NY because of the cold weather, but would go to Vail, Denver or Colorado Springs because it would be worth the cold.

If I stayed with the same company, I'd probably choose Boston, because I love the town, and I know I would have a great job waiting for me. Although again, cost of living & traffic.

If I changed companies, I'd probably try my hand at somewhere in TX. Maybe Austin.

I just got here, please don't make me leave. :wub:

This is a tough one. Not sure if I have seen enough of any area to say yes I could live there, but I'll.

I have lived in Charleston, and I could live there again but I won't choose it.

1) The Kanai Pennisula, Alaska but only for the Summer

1) Honalulu

ya I know I have two number ones.

2) Salt Lake City, Utah

3) Memphis, TN

Denver would be cool as well.

The other cities that I seriously considered in the southeast before moving to Greenville were Chattanooga, Asheville, and Boone, NC.

Nationwide I would list:

Portland, OR

Davis, CA

Austin, TX

Leadville, CO

Durango, CO (OK maybe ten years ago)

Jackson, WY

Worldwide, I would consider:

Amsterdam

Florence

Any of the lakes north of Milan

Barcelona or Girona

Not counting how I could afford to live there (c'mon powerball tonight)

1. San Diego, CA - vacationed there a year or two ago - loved the weather and actiivites galore

2. Stamford, CT - been there several times for work. Loved the downtown area, and lots to do around where I stayed at

hmmm, that's all i've got. The RTP area of NC is nice as well but just didn't give me the wanna live there feeling. Same for DC - nice to visit but wasn't impressed enough to wanna live there.

Where's "Vail"? In Colorado? I've never heard of it.

It's in the mountains west of Denver. The company my wife works for has an office there. I figure she could work at her job & I could work at the ski areas in the winter and give mountain bike or rafting tours in the summer. :D

Florence

Now is that Florence, Italy or Florence, SC? ;)

I find it interesting there are a couple of you selecting Atlanta & only one so far picking Charlotte. Can I naievely ask why is that? Considering Greenville is smack dab in the middle of those two it's always interesting to view people's persepectives - some would consider Greenville under the 'influence' of either of those two cities, whereas others would consider it part of the greater I-85 metropolis that reaches from Anderson to Raleigh.

Again though - I have never lived in Greenville & would only stay in Inman during the summer, but from growing up in Rock Hill in the 70's & 80's - the 'big city' was always Washington or Atlanta. So I had only considered Charlotte just as I would consider Columbia, but I wound up in Atlanta, but Charlotte does appear to be more similar to a size like Atlanta than a size like Columbia. Also - what other cities would be considered that could possibly 'mimic' Greenville? My guess would be Knoxville, Huntsville or even Asheville. But I also realize the allure of living somewhere else is to find a city that is not similar to your present - which explains my picks of Denver, Portland, Seattle & nearly any place else outside of the south (except for New Orleans, Charleston & Savannah).

The other cities that I seriously considered in the southeast before moving to Greenville were Chattanooga, Asheville, and Boone, NC.

Nationwide I would list:

Portland, OR

Davis, CA

Austin, TX

Leadville, CO

Durango, CO (OK maybe ten years ago)

Jackson, WY

Worldwide, I would consider:

Amsterdam

Florence

Any of the lakes north of Milan

Barcelona or Girona

I thought about listing Florence Italy myself, or anywhere over there, I love that country.

Now is that Florence, Italy or Florence, SC? ;)

I find it interesting there are a couple of you selecting Atlanta & only one so far picking Charlotte. Can I naievely ask why is that? Considering Greenville is smack dab in the middle of those two it's always interesting to view people's persepectives - some would consider Greenville under the 'influence' of either of those two cities, whereas others would consider it part of the greater I-85 metropolis that reaches from Anderson to Raleigh.

Again though - I have never lived in Greenville & would only stay in Inman during the summer, but from growing up in Rock Hill in the 70's & 80's - the 'big city' was always Washington or Atlanta. So I had only considered Charlotte just as I would consider Columbia, but I wound up in Atlanta, but Charlotte does appear to be more similar to a size like Atlanta than a size like Columbia. Also - what other cities would be considered that could possibly 'mimic' Greenville? My guess would be Knoxville, Huntsville or even Asheville. But I also realize the allure of living somewhere else is to find a city that is not similar to your present - which explains my picks of Denver, Portland, Seattle & nearly any place else outside of the south (except for New Orleans, Charleston & Savannah).

Too funny. I should have been more specific, but I didn't know there was a Florence, SC until you mentioned it.

I didn't mention Atlanta because I lived there for 8 years. I really do like Atlanta, but I doubt I will ever move back. Even though I lived in town, the sprawl affected me. I like places that combine urban life, even on a small scale, with easy access to the great outdoors. It can also be noted that the cities on my list are all very bicycle friendly.

^ Didn't even realize you lived in Atlanta, my question was for those that chose Atlanta as a backup. But I of course can understand moving to a smaller city as well as out of a sprawling large city like Atlanta.

Actually the cities I listed and others I am interested are all smaller than Atlanta, often half the size - but I dont' think there is much of a difference in urbanity. Only because Atlanta has a very small urban core - it really should be the size of Denver or just a little larger than Charlotte. Of course by that arguement Charlotte should really just be a little larger than Greenville ;)

But I love smaller cities, but I also like the variety of experiences that larger cities have. Yeah... I'm rambling way off topic now :)

^ Didn't even realize you lived in Atlanta, my question was for those that chose Atlanta as a backup. But I of course can understand moving to a smaller city as well as out of a sprawling large city like Atlanta.

Actually the cities I listed and others I am interested are all smaller than Atlanta, often half the size - but I dont' think there is much of a difference in urbanity. Only because Atlanta has a very small urban core - it really should be the size of Denver or just a little larger than Charlotte. Of course by that arguement Charlotte should really just be a little larger than Greenville ;)

But I love smaller cities, but I also like the variety of experiences that larger cities have. Yeah... I'm rambling way off topic now :)

Atlanta does have a small urban core for its size, but it is getting better. Midtown has changed a lot since I lived there in the early nineties.

I agree with you about the variety of experieces that bigger cities offer. Greenville offers a lot of cultural amenities for a city of its size, but I still enjoy visiting friends in Atlanta fairly often. Being situated between Atlanta and Charlotte is a big plus for Greenville.

Archived