Building Moratorium

NWAboom

Thanks to the bright minds at work in the offices of the city of Fayetteville, attracting new people to the town may soon prove harder than once thought. The recent announcement of the outrageous price tag for a new sewer plant has some officials at the planning office scratching their heads as to just how much more the city of Fayetteville's infrastructure can support. Sometimes we seem to forget about basic infastructure when discussing developments. Watch soon for a flood of developments in the Faytteville area trying to beat the moratorium. Any thoughts as to long term effects on the city or what can be done to prevent this.

The thought of the moratorium is drifting around the planning office according to employees. Nothing is set in stone, but is does seem like a likely solution for a growing problem.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree

While it may cause more problems the cities sewer plant can only take so much. If the building was not put to a stop; the sewage system would fail. As a resident nobody wants that to happen. Does anyone really believe another city in NWA can take on Fayettevilles new connections until the plant is built.

I really wish they'd hurry and get the new sewer plant taken care of. They'd also had a problem in the past because no one wanted it in their area. But I think this could be a sign of things to come. I think all of northwest Arkansas can have problems in the future because of infrastructure problems. This time it was Fayetteville but Benton County is growing at a much greater rate.

I think they really need to build a new sewer plant in Springdale. Or at least minimize the percieved existence of the old one. It was a good location 20 years ago, but now the area is expanding around it. Hell, there is a school half a mile down the road from it. But to tell you the truth, I don't know where I'd put it now.

I think they really need to build a new sewer plant in Springdale. Or at least minimize the percieved existence of the old one. It was a good location 20 years ago, but now the area is expanding around it. Hell, there is a school half a mile down the road from it. But to tell you the truth, I don't know where I'd put it now.

Isn't Springdale adding an expansion to their sewar plant right now. If they do expand it, then I'm sure a regional sewar facility won't be needed for another 10-20 years.

I also think it would be great if northwest Arkansas could work together more on issues like infrastructure. This will become something that could slow down growth in this area. I always thought it would be better if all the cities could work together and help get things done in this aspect.

Ah, here this topic is. I mentioned this in another topic already but since it was pointed out here. There's still hope of Fayetteville getting something done. They've made some changes to the sewer plant plans and they are getting some lower bids coming in.

Why don't they just institute impact fees to pay for a new sewer plant?

Stopping all development seems a bit drastic.

Fayetteville has already implimented impact fees. Maybe it was a problem of a little too late to make a difference. I think Bentonville also impact fees, although it was more controversial for them. But I don't think anyone else has them yet up here.

There are plenty of proposals for Impact Fees up here in Benton County. It can discourage developers in the area.

I don't agree that impact fees are the best answer.

I won't say I think impact fees are the best answer, but I guess I don't really have a problem with them. If it can help pay for infrastructure up here then I'm for it.

Archived