Best skyline in the Carolinas

krazeeboi

Charlotte has the best buildings but it's hard to say if they have the best skyline. One thing that gives Winston Salem and Columbia an advantage is it's towers are more spread out. Charlotte towers seems to only be in one place. So it leaves a little more to be disired.If Charlotte's skyline was a little more spread out it wouldn't still have a small city feel. All the cities are in arms reach. It's really no city with significant towers strecthing across the city. Untill we see this the tittle for best skyline in the carolinas is up for grabs

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Charlotte has the best buildings but it's hard to say if they have the best skyline. One thing that gives Winston Salem and Columbia an advantage is it's towers are more spread out. Charlotte towers seems to only be in one place. So it leaves a little more to be disired.If Charlotte's skyline was a little more spread out it wouldn't still have a small city feel. All the cities are in arms reach. It's really no city with significant towers strecthing across the city. Untill we see this the tittle for best skyline in the carolinas is up for grabs

I think anyone who says Charlotte does not have the most impressive skyline needs to have their head examined.

Winston Salem and Raleigh come second and third, in my opinion. Greensboro beats any of the SC cities' skylines as well, IMO. Asheville is also fairly impressive, although a closer match to Greenville and Columbia in impressiveness. Personally, I am anxious and excited about the proposals and planned highrises in downtown Greenville. :shades:

I think anyone who says Charlotte does not have the most impressive skyline needs to have their head examined.

I wouldn't go THAT far, since it all depends on what one likes in a skyline. If you place a high premium on architectural variation, Charlotte doesn't fare too well in that regard. In just about every other category however, Charlotte definitely excels--except for sheer number of towers. That honor goes to Myrtle Beach easy.

Winston Salem and Raleigh come second and third, in my opinion. Greensboro beats any of the SC cities' skylines as well, IMO. Asheville is also fairly impressive, although a closer match to Greenville and Columbia in impressiveness. Personally, I am anxious and excited about the proposals and planned highrises in downtown Greenville. :shades:

Winston-Salem and Raleigh are great; Greensboro really only has 4 towers to speak of, and I think at least Columbia's and Myrtle Beach's skylines are far better. Asheville has great architectural variation, but I wouldn't put it in Columbia's league. Greenville's skyline is more comparable to Greensboro's. Spartanburg and Durham are underdogs here, but do have something going. Wilmington's and Charleston's skylines and cityscapes are by far the most charming and graceful in the Carolinas, IMO.

Actually, I see Greensboro's skyline as easily more attractive than Columbia's, despite its fewer number of highrises. And Asheville's is on the same level as Columbia's and Greenville's. I'm not speaking of width, but attractiveness. Greenville's is easily as attractive as Columbia's, although less dense or wide - and that will change before long. ;)

This is certainly a subjective topic, but I strongly disagree on all points. Attractiveness for me depends on several factors: architectural variation, height, density, and expansiveness. Out of Columbia, Greenville, Greensboro, and Asheville, Columbia excels in height (though not by much), density, and expansiveness easily. Architectural variation is up for grabs, but whoever nags that title doesn't do so by any wide margin.

Again, I disagree (which we'll have to agree on) about Columbia's skyline being more attractive than Greensboro. If you think Columbia can enter any comparison between these cities based on height, you're getting far more technical than the vast majority of people even care about. The fact is, none of these cities stand out in the height category - period. Density and width, I give you, but NOT attractiveness. Density and width will come to the others in due time, although there is a solid amount of density on a shorter level in cities like Greenville and Asheville than you give them credit for.

Again, I disagree (which we'll have to agree on) about Columbia's skyline being more attractive than Greensboro. If you think Columbia can enter any comparison between these cities based on height, you're getting far more technical than the vast majority of people even care about. The fact is, none of these cities stand out in the height category - period. Density and width, I give you, but NOT attractiveness. Density and width will come to the others in due time, although there is a solid amount of density on a shorter level in cities like Greenville and Asheville than you give them credit for.

I did concede that Columbia doesn't win by much in the height category in the four cities you brought up. I'd give Raleigh and Myrtle Beach the honors in that particular category overall. And if you can't get technical on UP, where can you get technical? :)

And as I've stated, architectural variation, expansiveness, height, and density are the factors that make for an attractive skyline in my eyes. You have not defined what you mean by "attractiveness," but I did and gave reasons as to why I believe Columbia has the best skyline of the four cities mentioned. Even on the individual tower level, I don't think Columbia is as abysmal as you seem to suggest.

At any rate, between the four cities, I see which one garners the most votes in the poll that you yourself created. That lets me know that my opinion is hardly an anomaly. :)

In the architectural variation category, I totally disagree. It is this category which especially defines "attractiveness" to me. Width (expansiveness as you call it) is probably a safe bet, although it would be difficult to measure some of the other cities that have more variation in terrain, with key structures rising further out. Density is another good bet, if you are looking at it from the right angle, but that does not define attractiveness to me if it lacks signature appeal. I have previously said that what our SC cities need are signature towers to create a unique image for each. Currently, this does not exist at all on the level I prefer.

For the last time, I stated what I personally feel as an individual who has seen all of these cities in person. That doesn't make it the rule anymore than your opinion does. I wouldn't place much value in this random poll, since it is extremely subjective, as I am confident you already know. If there were a way to guarantee the sincerity of each vote, I would do whatever I could to make that available.

All of this aside, fortunately skylines are not the supreme essence of what makes a city great or not. If towers do not provide adequate space for street-level pedestrian activity, they fail to successfully achieve the most crucial element of a city's vitality. In this category, I strongly feel the cities with lesser height and "density" have an edge.

I believe that Columbia's skyline is in a different league from Greenville, Greensboro, and Asheville. It has more towers and density, and while it has it's shoe boxes, there is still architectural variation. It just feels like a big city when driving into it.

I guess you didn't read the post right. Charlotte has the best towers hands down.But to compare columbia's skyline to Greenville's is absurb!!!!! Someone please bring out the pictures!!!!! Columbia has to have atleast the 2nd or 3rd best skyline in the Carolina's. You can't see Greenville"s skyline from their highway.. And if you can you almost have to hurt your eyes so that you won't miss it!!!! Columbia just can't get any credit!!!!!

I think most people would agree as well again as the numerous polls have indicated. Skyliner is just pretty much anti-Columbia ;) Which is pretty obvious.

Of course you know me the best way to settle it is with pictures of the skylines.

Excuse me, that would be absolutely false! If I am anti-Columbia, how come I am one of the very few members from Greenville to actually read and chime in on new developments in your city? You guys need to stop attacking people everytime someone makes a comment you perceive as negative. You seem to care more about belittling other members than carrying on a reasonable discussion. And for the record, although I have made many positive comments about Columbia, I have yet to hear most of you Columbian boosters say even one nice thing about Greenville. Stop this rediculously immature, one-sided pout-fest. Can we not discuss these topics as professionals who see things a little differently? Please! :)

I guess you didn't read the post right. Charlotte has the best towers hands down.But to compare columbia's skyline to Greenville's is absurb!!!!! Someone please bring out the pictures!!!!! Columbia has to have atleast the 2nd or 3rd best skyline in the Carolina's. You can't see Greenville"s skyline from their highway.. And if you can you almost have to hurt your eyes so that you won't miss it!!!! Columbia just can't get any credit!!!!!

It is not absurd to compare your personal favorite to other cities' skylines, regardless of obvious differences between them. The comment that "Columbia has got to have at least the 2nd or 3rd best skyline in the Carolinas" is entirely your opinion, which is not shared by everyone (not even the majority), but that doesn't mean you can't explain why you think this is the case. I have given my reasons for my own viewpoint, and I hope you can respect it as such and nothing more. ;)

Excuse me, that would be absolutely false! If I am anti-Columbia, how come I am one of the very few members from Greenville to actually read and chime in on new developments in your city? You guys need to stop attacking people everytime someone makes a comment you perceive as negative. You seem to care more about belittling other members than carrying on a reasonable discussion. And for the record, although I have made many positive comments about Columbia, I have yet to hear most of you Columbian boosters say even one nice thing about Greenville. Stop this rediculously immature, one-sided pout-fest. Can we not discuss these topics as professionals who see things a little differently? Please! :)

I'm sorry :thumbsup:

I've been to downtown Greenville twice and while it is dense, it reminds me of Charlotte with just that one dense street. I disagree with the statement about Greenville's hard to see skyline, its not that visable but neither is Columbia's from the interstate. I speen more time in Cola as thats were my family is and Cola skyline is bigger to me. The heights seem about the same as well as the density. I would like to see G-ville add a few around N. Main by the Landmark towe as it looks some what isolated. Stands out too much. Im not from SC but i didn't kno Cola and G-ville were competin like they are.

height: Raleigh or W-S

number of highrises: Myrtle Beach

architecture: Asheville or Greensboro

density: Myrtle Beach

overall: Columbia (how's that for a Greenvillian?)

I have always though Gville's skyline is lacking in all of these departments. But I wonder about the expansiveness catagory. Greenville has Scott Towers (14 stories), The odl American Federal Building, and the St Francis Hospital Tower (12 stories) that are all DT. Though these three are not really in the CBD (the AF building is) they rarely make it into skyline shots. In fact I don't think I have ever seen St. Francis or Scott Towers in a skyline shot. Yet Scott towers is a block from the new stadium, and St Francis is only a few blocks down from that. These and the AF building (now BB&T) really make our "skyline" three dimensional and this covers as spread out an area as any of the other cities.

How can Columbia and Greenville's skyline even be in the same league...Columbia is no Charlotte but Greenville's skyline is in a smaller league....If you take away about 20 skyscrapers from Columbia then you're talking...Don't know about architecture and such...I just see Columbia as having the best skyline overall outside of Charlotte

I don't think we've seen a skyline pic of Columbia since the First Citizens tower was completed. It doesn't add much height at all (it's only 9 stories), but it does make a small contribution. Here's a skyline shot from the Finlay Park area; it's next to the black tower:

Finlayparkskyline.jpg

And a nighttime shot; I think it shows up best here:

nightskyline.jpg

It really should have been a taller tower, but the bank didn't want to detract from the nearby Statehouse.

As I've said before, I really do love that First Citizens tower, although it would have been better at fifteen-storys. :shades: For those who don't know, it is the apparently "small" lightly-colored building that peaks around the right side of that dark box just right of center and in the background.

Now here is a low-quality, but nice angled shot of Greenville's skyline. It doesn't show all of the buildings, but it does show more than most pictures. With the soon addition of a few more planned towers, the skyline will begin to thicken up a bit. :thumbsup:

GreenvilleSkyline2.jpg

Archived