Meijer

mpchicago

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A possible silver lining??? If this Meijer does close, it could mean a business boom for some of our neighborhood stores like Fulton Hts (Alger and Eastern) and Family Fare(Mad and Hall). It could also mean an increase in business for other mom and pop clothing and other hard goods stores in neighborhoods where there is a lot of foot traffic. A lot of folks in my neighborhood take the bus to K-zoo and 28th because it is quick and convenient. When this is no longer an option, I hope n-hood stores become a viable option.

A good time for n-hood business districts to start an ad campaign.

A possible silver lining??? If this Meijer does close, it could mean a business boom for some of our neighborhood stores like Fulton Hts (Alger and Eastern) and Family Fare(Mad and Hall). It could also mean an increase in business for other mom and pop clothing and other hard goods stores in neighborhoods where there is a lot of foot traffic. A lot of folks in my neighborhood take the bus to K-zoo and 28th because it is quick and convenient. When this is no longer an option, I hope n-hood stores become a viable option.

A good time for n-hood business districts to start an ad campaign.

I tried shopping at Fulton Hts... not a great selection of items, but I guess not bad for a small shop.

Well.. we call it that too, but I just didn't want to get into another flame war over words..

If your intent is to not get into "flame wars over words", then certain folks need to start to think about what the impact of their words are before they say them. It's far easier to just throw out thoughtless tags and barbs instead of considering that they may cause another the damage of an insult. Hmm, guess that's just one of the luxuries of one particular culture having a superiority complex.

:thumbsup: Those associated must be very proud.

If your intent is to not get into "flame wars over words", then certain folks need to start to think about what the impact of their words are before they say them. It's far easier to just throw out thoughtless tags and barbs instead of considering that they may cause another the damage of an insult. Hmm, guess that's just one of the luxuries of one particular culture having a superiority complex.

:thumbsup: Those associated must be very proud.

I assume this has something to do with a previous thread or post that I have not read yet, or do you find my use and subsequent definition of the word ghetto offensive?

I assume this has something to do with a previous thread or post that I have not read yet, or do you find my use and subsequent definition of the word ghetto offensive?

It has to do with the fact that Ghetto to some may be considered a "minority" issue and thus an insult to said minority group. I think when people refer to the subject in this thread, people, at least the ones I know, don't use the term as directed at any particular race group. I say ghetto meijer b/c it seems neglected, run down, dirty and i need of some cleaning up, not b/c of any particular group that shops there. Because as already mentioned it's probably the most diverse shopping crowd in GR. Now if someone takes offense to that, well then I'm sorry. Things can be described as something without it being racially motivated.

I like alpine meijer, that happens to be the one I go to, even if it is a bit like little mexico. I have heard they are looking to relocate though, it could be the walker and four mile area, I'm not really sure, I had only heard second hand they are looking for land north of six mile.

I like alpine meijer, that happens to be the one I go to, even if it is a bit like little mexico. I have heard they are looking to relocate though, it could be the walker and four mile area, I'm not really sure, I had only heard second hand they are looking for land north of six mile.

Well there is a large Hispanic population from the fulton area north and the river west to the Zoo, so that would explain that. Much like the Asian population around the Godwin Heights area. Lots of good "Heritage" type events on that side of town on the weekends... I like these types of areas, when we were in San Fran we happend to stay in Little Japan, and it was amazing to see menus in both languages, street signs in different languages.

Would the cascade meijers be considered in the Little Europe district? :rofl:

ivew heard both, I think it largely hangs on how the development at that corner does.

Archived