Major Development in South Metro

Newnan_Eric

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to UP Newnan_Eric

I have a sister in Fayette County, it would be nice to hear whats going on down there.

Thanks. Like I said, I grew up over there, but I am enjoying Coweta now. It's got a good mix of history and new development.

It is interesting though. When I grew up in Peachtree City, there were a lot of old line Fayette County folks that weren't so enthusiastic about all these city-folks moving in. You here the same kind of talk now in Coweta.

:blush:

I am glad to see the I-85 corridor growing so much. Newnan has really taken off in the last 10 years. I wish more development would come to the south Newnan exit (can't remember the number of the exit). I'm from Columbus, but live in Atlanta. I go to Columbus about 1 or 2 times a week. I always stop in Newnan to see all of the new development. Before long, that whole area from Newnan to LaGrange to Columbus will be developed out. I hope to see it one day just as long as its not too much sprawl (if thats possible!)

I'm so glad you're starting a I-85 corrider thread! I feel like the southside had been kind of ignored. And Yes, you're right, you do hear a lot of negative talk from locals about the growth in Newnan and Coweta. But humans in general don't like change and the locals here just don't want their quaint southern town to become just another soulless, sprawless suburb of Atlanta. I don't think it'll ever be though. Newnan's roots just go too deep.

Here is an assortment of other are developments I've had my eye on:

OTHER COUNTIES

DOUGLAS

Tributary

http://www.tributaryga.com/

While not ostensibly on the 85-South Corridor, this is along the Chattahoochee River and could impact growth along 85-South and will feed into the Southwest corner once the South Fulton Parkway is complete.

This place is getting some airplay on local radio now with its ads and is positioning itself as a new type of development. In a way it is, it is one of the few New Urbanism styled developments in the Atlanta area. Unfortunately, you still have to drive to get there.

An interesting footnote: It appears that this is the development that first surfaced as

Here is an assortment of other are developments I've had my eye on:

OTHER COUNTIES

DOUGLAS

Tributary

http://www.tributaryga.com/

While not ostensibly on the 85-South Corridor, this is along the Chattahoochee River and could impact growth along 85-South and will feed into the Southwest corner once the South Fulton Parkway is complete.

This place is getting some airplay on local radio now with its ads and is positioning itself as a new type of development. In a way it is, it is one of the few New Urbanism styled developments in the Atlanta area. Unfortunately, you still have to drive to get there.

An interesting footnote: It appears that this is the development that first surfaced as

Newnan_ Eric, first I would like to say welcome to the forum.

This is a very good idea for a thread discussion. Many times the southside (read everything south of I-20) is not discussed to the level it should be. I am very glad that you are here to help us northsiders understand that amount of development that is taking place on the southside. Someone recently asked about what's going on in southern Fulton county. The CampCreek Marketplace is doing wonders for retail options in the south Fulton area. In addition to it, there is a whole bunch of residential develpoments going up as well.

I eagerly look forward to seeing more information you can provide for us regarding the southside.

Newnan_Eric, our southside correspondant. :lol:

Coweta County is wrapping up the update to their Comprehensive Plan.

Check it out at:

Be Something Different - the Next Level.

I personally prefer the "Village Centers" scenario. Being a bit of a New Urbanism proponent, it follows my preferences the closest.

While I'm sure they intend the comments to come from Coweta residents, it appears that anyone can reply to this initiative.

The Tributary aka New Manchester project is one of the best examples of how a great vision can easily deteriorate into normalcy - even for the highest profile projects. For a little history:

The land purchase for the New Machester property was named "land deal of the decade" by the Atlanta Business Chronicle... it was that big of a deal. The vision was basically a self sustained town of its own featuring new urban or TND principles. The end product was supposed to be an established community with around 10,000 living residences (meaning a population approx. 30,000 people) with residential, commercial, retail and light industrial districts. The entire residential facet would be constructed in fitting with TND principles. The commercial/retail areas would include 1) a "main street" area with boutique shops, cafes, the typical products one would expectout of such a theme; 2) a pedestrian-friendly "regional scale" retail area that would include larger spaces for grocery stores, department stores and other types of retail usually associated with normal shopping centers, 3) large portions of office/professional space, giving residents the opportunity to commit to the "live, work, play" concept so often touted in new urban developments and 3) a luxury golf resort and convention center that would set the standard for Atlanta facilities, especially considering its conveniance to the airport.

Originally New Manchester was supposed to break ground in the late '90s and take up to a decade to fully develop. Numerous concessions were granted by the city of Douglasville, and an entirely new set of zoning conditions were created so the project could move forward. Before it could get off of the ground, though, the group of owners started having difficulty securing financing and as the years passed the ownership group split and in turn also split the property. So then there were two New Manchesters. One was still supposed to include the primary town center, retail and residential portions. The other would include the luxury resort and conference center (at this stage Marriott had signed on to do the resort, golf and conference center)

Now as it stands, with "tributary" almost a year old and nearly a decade late almost none of the original vision will make it to reality. What is being developed now at the tributary portion of New Manchester is the only portion of the entire tract of land that will bear resemblance to the original idea. This area of the project has a TND feel to it (craftsman style homes, high density, rear access garages) and will abut the town center. Beyond this small portion of the entire development everything else will be different. The retail will likely be a large strip mall, like what one would see anywhere. The rest of the residential (which is most of the total residential) will be of a more conventional, cookie-cutter style. The other half of the former partnership (the resort group) failed even worse, though. Marriott was on-board and ready to move forward, the third (and final) golf course architect had been chosen and had started design work; but the developers dropped the ball and now the entire project has be scrapped and replaced with what is now proposed to be an acive adult/retirement community - no resort, no golf, no conference center (the folks up at the tributary sales center don't want prospective buyers to know that, though - they still talk up the presence of a resort and public golf).

In the end, New Manchester will still make its owners tons of money, many people will still buy homes there (even at the currently inflated prices they are pushing - a whole other story in itself) but the project is barely a shell of its former self.

Wow, that is a shame. I have heard that financing is actually the thing that is the biggest hurdle to New Urbanism developmets. The NU planners have been out there working hard to show everyone what it is all about, and now they are finally getting some municipalities to buy in on the idea. Unfortunately, they now are having to educate lenders.

New Urbanism developments do make money. Some are more profitable then conventional suburban developments. Lenders, however, don't like new things. They want what is tried and true.

Arrrggg!

Pathway Communities has released details on their proposed mixed-use development in Sharpsburg (Eastern Coweta County).

See the article in The Fayette Citizen:

Sharpsburg proposal has big reach

- - - - -

Now, while I will admit that I grew up in a Pathway development (Peachtree City) and I now live in another Pathway development (SummerGrove), this one has me a little concerned. First, access to Sharpsburg isn't all that great. Things will improve in the East-West corridor when the Hwy 34/54 widening and the new TDK Connector/Vernon Hunter Parkway projects have been completed, but the most direct access to I-85 from there is Hwy 154. Hwy 154 from downtown Sharpsburg is a two-lane road that passes in front of East Coweta HS. Want to guess what traffic will be like in the morning if this all comes to pass?

My second concern is that Sharpsburg has held a charrette and is working on implementing a new master plan to create a more walkable village for their downtown area. Pathway does better than average developments, but will this incorporate Sharpsburg's plans?

I am very curious to see some plans on how this will look.

Henry County-Stockbridge

Henry County is thinking big. As more people begin to call Henry County home, developers have decided to bring highrise living to the south metro county. The highrise to be located near the Eagles Landing development will be the tallest building south of I-20 once completed. For those who are familiar with Henry County, this development will be in the Hudson Bridge Rd area. Also in this area is the Eagles landing Country Club and Henry General Hospital. The area is pretty congested now but there are currently improvements under way for the I-75/Hudson Bridge interchange. I just hope that Stockbridge embraces a more dense development model in this area or this development could potentially cause sprawl further south than what is currently being experienced in Locust Grove.

Watch out Macon, the march has begun.

Read the story here:

25 story high-rise proposed for Henry County's Stockbridge

image_1874899.jpg

A proposed 25-story hotel-condo project off I-75 at Eagle's Landing would be the tallest building on the Southside. The Stockbridge City Council could give the project approval next month.

It's an attractive building I must add.....

While this is a very attractive building, it strikes me as innappropriate in scale for Stockbridge. There is nothing around that area even remotely resembling a skyscraper.

This would look really good in say, Atlantic Station.

That was my thought. It would stick out in Stockbridge with that height and design. Atlantic Station and other areas in the city of Atlanta have architecture that wouldn't make this building seem out of place. Perhaps they sphould at least cut a few stories off if they are going to build here and then build taller towers as the skyline grow nd fills in with buildings of lower height, I mean, even new York didn't start out with the Empire State Building or the WTC.

It would be interesting to see what becomes of this.

A proposed 25-story hotel-condo project off I-75 at Eagle's Landing would be the tallest building on the Southside. The Stockbridge City Council could give the project approval next month.

It's an attractive building I must add.....

I like it, although I will be the first to admit my taste in architecture is dubious at best.

Towers are about much more than just density or wise use of the land or transportation access. They are, in my opinion, also built as sources of community pride and as markers of having "arrived." We've got dozens of them in Downtown, Midtown, Buckhead, the Galleria and the Perimeter. So why shouldn't Stockbridge have one, too?

I like it, although I will be the first to admit my taste in architecture is dubious at best.

Towers are about much more than just density or wise use of the land or transportation access. They are, in my opinion, also built as sources of community pride and as markers of having "arrived." We've got dozens of them in Downtown, Midtown, Buckhead, the Galleria and the Perimeter. So why shouldn't Stockbridge have one, too?

That's a good point Andrea. Many towers in couthern cities have nothing to do with transportation or density. For that matter buildings such as the Sears Tower, Chrysler Building, Wringley's Building and countless others were not built because of transportation or density......they were big "look at me and look what I accomplished" projects. I suppose that Henry and Stockbridge said "hey, if Lawrenceville and Gwinnett can have tall buildings then so can we."

I feel, in agreement with Andrea, that this project is more about image than density or transportation. Everyone knows that the southside has long been looked down upon when it came to development. Recently however that image has changed, albeit slowly. Henry has been one of the top 20 fastest growing counties for years and years now. Growth is happening at a fast pace. I have said many times to people who I am acquainted with that Henry is growing just like Gwinnett County has. Henry is very pro growth and with sizable available land and a good image, it will continue to attract some of the southside's largest and most lucrative developments.

Stockbridge is served by two interstates, I-75 and I-675. Perhaps Henry is banking on this area to be it's "downtown" and what better way than a marker saying "you are downtown." Do I feel that this building is right for this location at this time....no.....but it takes visionaries to think big and the Henry and Stockbridge governments along with the developers are thinking really big.

Another article about Pathway Communities planned development in Sharpsburg:

Pathway Communities proposes big project for Sharpsburg

Developer of Peachtree City would build 760 homes, 80 townhomes

The Newnan Times-Herald had an image of the site plan in the Real Estate section of last Saturday's paper. I was a little disappointed. This development is not really adjacent to the center of town and will not be as compact as I would like. With Sharpsburg's other plans, it'd be nice to see this development tie in a little better.

The Tributary aka New Manchester project is one of the best examples of how a great vision can easily deteriorate into normalcy - even for the highest profile projects. For a little history:

The land purchase for the New Machester property was named "land deal of the decade" by the Atlanta Business Chronicle... it was that big of a deal. The vision was basically a self sustained town of its own featuring new urban or TND principles. The end product was supposed to be an established community with around 10,000 living residences (meaning a population approx. 30,000 people) with residential, commercial, retail and light industrial districts. The entire residential facet would be constructed in fitting with TND principles. The commercial/retail areas would include 1) a "main street" area with boutique shops, cafes, the typical products one would expectout of such a theme; 2) a pedestrian-friendly "regional scale" retail area that would include larger spaces for grocery stores, department stores and other types of retail usually associated with normal shopping centers, 3) large portions of office/professional space, giving residents the opportunity to commit to the "live, work, play" concept so often touted in new urban developments and 3) a luxury golf resort and convention center that would set the standard for Atlanta facilities, especially considering its conveniance to the airport.

Originally New Manchester was supposed to break ground in the late '90s and take up to a decade to fully develop. Numerous concessions were granted by the city of Douglasville, and an entirely new set of zoning conditions were created so the project could move forward. Before it could get off of the ground, though, the group of owners started having difficulty securing financing and as the years passed the ownership group split and in turn also split the property. So then there were two New Manchesters. One was still supposed to include the primary town center, retail and residential portions. The other would include the luxury resort and conference center (at this stage Marriott had signed on to do the resort, golf and conference center)

Now as it stands, with "tributary" almost a year old and nearly a decade late almost none of the original vision will make it to reality. What is being developed now at the tributary portion of New Manchester is the only portion of the entire tract of land that will bear resemblance to the original idea. This area of the project has a TND feel to it (craftsman style homes, high density, rear access garages) and will abut the town center. Beyond this small portion of the entire development everything else will be different. The retail will likely be a large strip mall, like what one would see anywhere. The rest of the residential (which is most of the total residential) will be of a more conventional, cookie-cutter style. The other half of the former partnership (the resort group) failed even worse, though. Marriott was on-board and ready to move forward, the third (and final) golf course architect had been chosen and had started design work; but the developers dropped the ball and now the entire project has be scrapped and replaced with what is now proposed to be an acive adult/retirement community - no resort, no golf, no conference center (the folks up at the tributary sales center don't want prospective buyers to know that, though - they still talk up the presence of a resort and public golf).

In the end, New Manchester will still make its owners tons of money, many people will still buy homes there (even at the currently inflated prices they are pushing - a whole other story in itself) but the project is barely a shell of its former self.

So what exactly will be there besides the residential, what will this town center be composed of...all the info I have read indicates that there is to be residential (presumably under construction), some type of recreation center tied in with the state park and some type of town village, with shops, restaurants, etc...

What is the current status of Tributary? All the material I have read mentions a residential portion (presumably under construction), recreational center tied to state park and a town village with shops, restaurants, etc...how will it differ from this or is the only thiing absent is teh hotel and conference center...

Archived