Major Development in South Metro

Newnan_Eric

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One million square feet?

There goes Shannon Mall. Between this development, the CampCreek Marketplace and the center planned in Henry, Shannon will have to do something. I guess this must be right close to Fayette county. John Wieland is building two nice neighborhoods off of GA 74 in Tyrone.

The latest in the continuing saga of the Newnan Hospital:

Piedmont Hospital moves closer to Newnan deal

The Newnan Times-Herald also reported on this, but there is no direct article linking from their site. You can go to their News Page and scroll down to the article.

The "Task Force" people are upset about this of course. They had been courting Emory. Whatever happens these two groups need to come together. The "Task Force" is comprised of a lot of the newer younger doctors in the area and the new facility will need them to support it.

This looks to be another of those Old Newnan vs New Upstart Cityfied Folks battles.

• 4 weeks later...

The results of Coweta County's Comprehensive planning effort is in. The preferred scenario is the "Village Centers" scenario with some modifications.

See the links for more information:

Development plan predicts 25 villages in Coweta

Coweta County Comprehensive Planning Update

Personally, I am happy about the results. However, the county will need to move quickly to put some zoning and development guidelines into place for developers. I spoke to a Pathway Communities individual a few weeks ago, and they just want to know what they can and can't do.

These plans are great, but a lot of the New Urbanism style of development requires a lot more work. Municipalities need to get their act in gear.

Henry County-Stockbridge

Henry County is thinking big. As more people begin to call Henry County home, developers have decided to bring highrise living to the south metro county. The highrise to be located near the Eagles Landing development will be the tallest building south of I-20 once completed. For those who are familiar with Henry County, this development will be in the Hudson Bridge Rd area. Also in this area is the Eagles landing Country Club and Henry General Hospital. The area is pretty congested now but there are currently improvements under way for the I-75/Hudson Bridge interchange. I just hope that Stockbridge embraces a more dense development model in this area or this development could potentially cause sprawl further south than what is currently being experienced in Locust Grove.

Watch out Macon, the march has begun.

Read the story here:

25 story high-rise proposed for Henry County's Stockbridge

image_1874899.jpg

A proposed 25-story hotel-condo project off I-75 at Eagle's Landing would be the tallest building on the Southside. The Stockbridge City Council could give the project approval next month.

It's an attractive building I must add.....

So, any word if this project has received approval or not?

• 2 weeks later...

Henry mall approved; opening targeted for 2007

As if we needed another mall buuuuuuuuuuuuut, this is great news for the thousands of Henry, Monroe, Butts and Clayton county residents who can't get enough of shopping. It's really small but hey, you have to start somewhere. Highrise residential will be included.

From the article:

The McDonough City Council brushed aside objections from Henry County commissioners Monday and unanimously approved plans for South Point, a 570,000-square-foot retail development with a seven-story, 100-unit condominium building.

The site is near I-75, where heavily traveled Ga. 20 and 81 meet. The developers plan to start construction by March with store openings in spring 2007. Kohl's and J.C. Penney are anchor tenants.

Henry, one of the nation's fastest-growing counties, does not have an indoor shopping mall. Developers scaled back initial plans for a mall with 1.2 million square feet of retail, residential and office space because they cannot remove a cellular tower on the site.

Perhaps this is where Belk's should have gone.

Read entire article here:

New "Mall" for Henry County.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey,

Sorry to butt in on an old topic, but I've searched around enough to figure that it's not too redundant to other threads.

Does anyone know of transit plans for Serenbe or any of the other "New Urbanist" developments around Atlanta? From reading the Serenbe Web site and doing a quick lexisnexis search, I can find little evidence that they have any plans for a community bus service, let alone a rail link.

Not to be gloomy, but it seems like a rough start to a foot-based community when you have to drive just to get there.

I would be pleased as punch if someone would tell me that I've got it all wrong and haven't done enough research. Also, moderators can feel free to move this post wherever it seems most relevant.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally! It looks like the battle over Newnan Hospital may be over.

Newnan Hospital, Piedmont in pact

The "Hospital Task Force" group has their nose out of joint on this, but it appears that things will finally be moving forward.

My sister is a physician here in town, and was at a meeting last week where they held a vote. Apparently the doctors in attendance endorsed the move. However it was a contentious meeting - some still wanted to here what Emory Healthcare could offer.

For better or worse, a new hospital should be in the works in the next couple of years. This should help the county attract even more growth. The old hospital has been a bit of a dark spot.

Archived