Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

asonj23

City picks up New Orleans conventions

City picks up New Orleans conventions

The disruptions of Hurricane Katrina have bolstered the convention business in Jacksonville. Four groups have chosen Jacksonville as the site of their conventions, according to the Jacksonville & the Beaches Convention and Visitors Bureau. The total economic impact of these additional events is estimated at $1.3 million.

Read the rest here.

This is great news for Jax, however, I would rather us get the convention buisness by way of a less tragic situation.

I hope we can keep 'em comming back!

Good but bittersweet news. Hopefully New Orleans will regain its prominence in the convention industry, while Jax while use this event to better showcase the area, as a place for future conventions.

It makes me sad that we have gotten more conventions as a result of a natural disaster. However, at the same time, I am happy for Jacksonville. The conventions will provide a boost to our area. I hope that we continue to grow and develop as a city.

This makes a total of five conventions that have come to Jax via Katrina. The two large ones (one was announced previously) are going to the Hyatt. None so far for the Prime Osborn.

^ Exactly.

I wonder if the Visitors Breau will use this to levy more support for a new or expanded convention center.

Some large conventions have moved to Orlando as well. Ruth Chris Steakhouse relocated their corporate headquarters to the Orlando area from New Orleans as well. The circumstances are unfortunate, however these people needed to go somewhere. New Orleans is going to dramatically shrink in size by the next census. Not only were businesses destroyed and are moving away but who is going to relocate there now??? That is unless the government provides mega incentives to do so. I think Metro New Orleans could see it's population slip under 1,000,000.

New Orleans had pretty stagnant growth and even overall losses the past decade or so to start with. Katrina has greatly sped up that downturn. I do believe that one day NO will become a city on the move again it just might take a while.