Is your neighborhood safe enough for a walk at night?

monsoon

Is your neighborhood safe enough for a walk at night?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Is your neighborhood safe enough for a walk at night?

• Yes
    • No

when i lived in charlotte (costwold) i felt safe enough to walk around at night. now that i'm in malden, i don't.

^^I find that hard to believe.

Here's a website about Malden's crime: http://db.state.ma.us/msp/select.asp

(Go to crime rate for one town and find Malden, and there it is)

It's total number of murders in 2000 was 1 and it's crime rate is 1,723 and Charlotte's is 8,830. I would feel a lot safer in Malden......

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^I find that hard to believe.

Here's a website about Malden's crime: http://db.state.ma.us/msp/select.asp

(Go to crime rate for one town and find Malden, and there it is)

It's total number of murders in 2000 was 1 and it's crime rate is 1,723 and Charlotte's is 8,830. I would feel a lot safer in Malden......

i think it just has to do with the density of malden. malden is only 5 square miles and has a population of around 56,000 people. there are always people everywhere, so for me personally, i just don't feel as safe walking around here at night, and that's what i was saying.

i think it just has to do with the density of malden. malden is only 5 square miles and has a population of around 56,000 people. there are always people everywhere, so for me personally, i just don't feel as safe walking around here at night, and that's what i was saying.

That's funny...I feel safer when there are other people out versus not. I'd find it more creepy if people were afraid to leave their homes. But that's just me ;)

Yes

Phillips Place- though mirroring the South Park area in general - no reservations with security - I tend to leave doors/windows open pretty often even living on the first floor.

Can't wait to move over to either Elizabeth or Plaza midwood early next year.

Though the GF says she doesn't feel as safe walking around either of those places, they seem fine to me.

I live in SouthEast Charlotte right on the border of Matthews - I have never felt unsafe anywhere in Charlotte in terms of walking around. The vibe I get here is that the fear of crime far exceeds the reality of the situation. But I'm from NYC & have lived in varies extremes there from housing projects to a 1mil+ brownstone in landmarked district to a wealthy NJ suburb within a 30 min radius. I may have a different perspective & tolerance level than native Charlotte residents.

As far as rapes go, most occur btwn people that know each other. The fact is that you should be more scared of your co workers, family members, and neighbors than the random strangers.

What does make me nervous is the robberies and home invasions. Personally, I think that these things will always occur in suburban communities and was nothing I feared in my NY brownstone apartment. But then in Brooklyn we have bars on the windows.

I don't trust any people I see driving or in homes with confederate flags on their doors & windows. Imo, its like seeing a swatika and I take it as a clear sign of disrespect to say the leasat.

I don't trust any people I see driving or in homes with confederate flags on their doors & windows. Imo, its like seeing a swatika and I take it as a clear sign of disrespect to say the leasat.

^^THANK YOU! I really have NO respect for anybody who is involved with a confederate flag.....

You're in the wrong region if it bothers you though.....

^^THANK YOU! I really have NO respect for anybody who is involved with a confederate flag.....

I believe people used to say that about lynching, segregation and other nasty things. Let's try to move forward.

I understand what you're saying but I refuse to feel as if I don't have a right to have a say in what is glorified and promoted in the south. As an african american with strong family ties to North and South Carolina (my grandparents/greatgrandparents were sharecroppers and those before them slaves in both states). My great grandparents managed to acquire over 100 acres of land despite the racism, violence, and insanity of those trying to hold him back.

I understand the history of the confederate flag: http://www.infoplease.com/spot/confederate2.html and I know exactly what many people are trying to do when they continually fly one. I will not be intimidated by it, I refuse. Its a cakewalk in comparison to what those before me went through. Similarly, I refuse to be tricked into being scared to live in a predominately black neighborhood, irrationally scared of my own people and boys who look just like my brother and cousins. I think that a mixed socioeconomic environment was one of the reasons why black communities did better in some ways BEFORE integration than after. Having just moved here, I plan to work with my neighbors to make sure our community stays up.

Its interesting, I deliberately lived in a cheap apartment on the east side while waiting for my house to be finished in order to save money. Not one problem, clean environment and good people all around me. The tone was set by management and the people respected it. I didn't walk around at night though in part because its very dark in most areas and I don't like that feeling. Being from the city, I'm simply used to more street lights and sidewalk traffic. Walking alone on dark streets surrounded by trees that I could be easily dragged behind doesn't seem smart for a woman - no matter what the neighborhood.

Archived