Middletown, CT photos...

Garris

Hi everyone,

I was driving with my sister this past Monday to visit our parents in New York for Rosh Hashanah and there was a beautiful sunset over Middletown, CT. My sister said, "Hey, too bad we can't take a photo of that," and I said, "Ah, but we can." Well, by the time we found a perspective in the city, the sunset was gone, but I decided to take a few shots before continuing to blast North on Rt 9.

Since Middletown is a city we don't discuss much and almost never see photos of, I decided to post the photos here. Best known for being the home of Wesleyan University, the city is situated along the Connecticut River and has a population of 44,156. It's at the confluence of several major highways.

If anyone knows anything about these buildings (I know nothing at all) please chime in. If anyone here knows anything more about the city, also let us know:

churchsky9to.jpg

middletownbldg12gg.jpg

litclock16tf.jpg

downtown36qg.jpg

downtown12pc.jpg

downtown2copy3sd.jpg

downtown49sp.jpg

downtown54iy.jpg

downtown60vz.jpg

skylinecopy4hv.jpg

An interesting story. Apparently, the tower with the clock in the downtown photo is a police station. I found this out when, after pulling out to go back to the highway, I was instantly pulled over by the police to ask what I was doing photographing the area. I had no idea!

- Garris

Providence, RI

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those photos are great. Middletown is also the home to few corporations, I know Aetna has a good amount of employees in town and Liberty Bank is headquartered there. It's a nice small city kind of on the fringe of the Hartford Metro area right before you get to Meriden and the fringe of the New Haven Metro Area. It's also a pretty diverse community with fairly sizeable Hispanic and Black populations.

But really great photos, I can't wait to see what Hartford will look like in your photos. I'm sure they will be some of the best Hartford shots ever posted on the net!!!!

I worked in Middletown for 3 summers, it is a great city with a lot of tradition. The city has a very large Itailian population and is home to many fine eateries and pizza shops. I wouldn't consider Middletown New Haven metro at all, it is a short drive to downtown Hartford, and I would think more commute to Hartford over New Haven.

In on of the pictures you have the Court house, along with I believe the new Hotel on main st.

I worked in Middletown for 3 summers, it is a great city with a lot of tradition. The city has a very large Itailian population and is home to many fine eateries and pizza shops. I wouldn't consider Middletown New Haven metro at all, it is a short drive to downtown Hartford, and I would think more commute to Hartford over New Haven.

In on of the pictures you have the Court house, along with I believe the new Hotel on main st.

This is all great information I didn't know.

What eateries and pizza places do you recommend? Middletown is almost exactly in the middle of my frequent trips between Providence and where I grew up in New York State, so I'd love good places to stop and eat.

- Garris

Mamoun's Closed down...or at least it wasn't there when we made a trip to eat there in July...it was dark though but when I looked online I couldn't find any mention of it. Guess I'll just have to satisfy myself with the one in New Haven or the original on McDougal Street in Manhattan.

Mamoun's has awesome falafels....

There is the orignal in Manhattan at NYU which is literally a 20 by 8 foot hole in the wall...then he (there is (or was?) an actual Mamoun) opened one at Yale, then at Wesleyan...I didn't know about the one in Albany but judging from his plan I would assume its not too far from SUNY Albany. So, its not a big chain, but there is more than one.

Hmm, there's a Mamouns in Albany, with really good falafels too. It's a chain? Doesn't seem like one at all...

• 4 months later...

The guy in the Mamoun's in New Haven said they shut down in Middletown because they "couldn't find good help"...looks like those flakey Wesleyan students are at it again.

Huh, I was there a few months ago, and it was open. Maybe it was longer than I thought. Anyway, there's also a nice Tibetan restaurant there that I've been dying to try too, or did that close down too?!? ;)

• 2 weeks later...

This is all great information I didn't know.

What eateries and pizza places do you recommend? Middletown is almost exactly in the middle of my frequent trips between Providence and where I grew up in New York State, so I'd love good places to stop and eat.

- Garris

there's a great diner, i think it's at the north end of main street... i don't remember the name, but it's an irish name. they do an awesome breakfast! not sure if it's still there... this was when i was in high school... ~10 years ago.

there's a great diner, i think it's at the north end of main street... i don't remember the name, but it's an irish name. they do an awesome breakfast! not sure if it's still there... this was when i was in high school... ~10 years ago.

I think it is/was called O'Rourkes. I'm not certain whether it's still there, or not.

I think it is/was called O'Rourkes. I'm not certain whether it's still there, or not.

Yes, O'Rourkes is still there. The food is excellent, but the booths are not exactly carseat friendly, so we usually head down to Bella Rosa in New Haven or up to the Half Door/Tisane/Dishes in Hartford for brunch.

Archived