Historical Beach Photos

bobliocatt

I was playing around on the net and came across some historical pictures of the beach communities, that I'd thought I share.

Atlantic Beach Hotel - 1919

n027907.jpg

Atlantic Beach Railroad Station - 1920s

n027912.jpg

Jacksonville Beach - 1949

c007897.jpg

Jacksonville Beach - 1960

c033853.jpg

Jacksonville Beach - 1960

c033852.jpg

Jacksonville Beach - 1972

c681652.jpg

c681653.jpg

Jacksonville Beach Boardwalk - 1972

c680099.jpg

c680682.jpg

Jacksonville Beach - 1973

dc723412.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wolfdawg, did they rebuild the coast after the hurricane? None of the older pics show the sand dunes that are there today.

You can see the difference of density in Jacksonville Beach where the 60's pictures are dense, with a small beach, and the 70's with the open space by Beach Boulevard. Most of the open space were buildings destroyed by Dora. Yes, I believe that they did rebuild but over an extended period of time. It seems that they pumped a lot of sand onto the beach directly after and put in big rocks as a breaker. They built the sand dunes in the late 70's-early 80's, using the boulders for support. They also added more sand to the beach when the sand dunes were constructed. Also, they planted sea oats to help keep the sand in place.

Great pics Lakelander! :thumbsup:

I really like the Atlantic Beach Hotel. Too bad that isn't still around.

Too bad the train station in Atlantic Beach isn't there. That would be the perfect link to a parallel Third and First Street trolley line. From the station a commuter line into DT. Does anyone know if the tracks are still there?

The tracks are gone. Most of the buildings along the beaches were either destroyed by fire or Hurricane Dora, which flooded the beachside communities in 1964. There still is a raised section of sand that goes through both Neptune and Atlantic Beach; however, all of the tracks were dug out.

Nice pictures of the beach Lake. You managed to get my house in the picture again. You really like 18th street in AB I guess. Anyways, the picutres make me miss home since I am up in NC.

LOL, its the same pic. I haven't taken any pics of Atlantic Beach since then, so I keep using the same old ones.

The arial of AB earlier and the one from the beach in the last group. Both times you managed to capture my house. It is kind of funny...Asonj, my house is brown it is in the picture taken from the beach, not the street. Actually, a lot of homes on the ocean are brown because of the shingles.

Archived