Skyline Lighting

Go Gators

I think what makes great skylines stand out from the mediocre, regardless of its size, is the lighting at night. This is something that Tallahassee drastically lacks. Take the capitol for example... I dont see any reason why all floors of the main building are not lit (from the ground shooting up) or why the domes of the chambers dont have some kind of lighting effect. Or the HighPoint Centre, as weird as it is anyways with hit-and-miss windows, why is this building not lit at all? I think the Adams Street area (and others) has a nice touch with the white lights in the big oak trees...but the buildings actually being lit would complement this quite well.

Who do we (and/or TaureanJ, who seems to have the connections :thumbsup: ) need to see to get some kind of movement on this.

And dont worry about the 'Bama loss, the Gators will get their act together by November haha!! I hope :unsure:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^We've got a few options here. I think my first step would be to E-mail the Mayor, John Marks, just to plant the seed. (Planting the seed is important). Once you've e-mailed him, don't wait for a response, take your comments straight to the Newspaper... write a letter to the edititor. If you'd like, make time to go to a City Commission Meeting on Wednesday and speak as an unagendaed speaker. I'll take the issue to the Downtown Improvement Authority, and to Al Lawson, Loraine Ausley, and Jeb at the Capitol. Pictures often help, but I'm sure they can use their imagination.

I absolutely agree with you that this city lacks lighting at night. The mayor said one of his inititives would be to fix this problem, but that was a pre-election thing. I haven't heard anything of it since. It would be nice to have a ring glowing around the domes on the Capitol, and a colored glow on this historic building. It would be nice to have all state buildings lit with a light on the ground shining orange onto the buildings. I see it all over town at banks and such. The everything from the courthouses, to the highpoint center should light up at night. I'll do what I can to share this concern, because like you I think its important.

Also, if someone is handy with PhotoShop, some quick editing would get the job done. It's one thing to mention adding lighting downtown to the commissioners. It's even better if they can put their eyes on a rendering. TJ, I'm sure you know someone who can do this, and I'm sure you have the perfect nighttime pictures for a backdrop.

(By the way, I haven't learned PhotoShop yet, but it's on my list of things to do.)

I was downtown tonight, and I had somewhat of a sudden realization that its not as bad as I had convinced myself it was, int erms of the buildings we have currently. From where I live, just near Doak, it seems there are only 5 buildings downtown, however, at close inspection there's tons of sights to see, each unique, many very short, some too short, but all have potential.

Here's what I think we should do.

We need to some type of color scheme setup, say Orange lights, Red and White lights (to go with the awnings on the Historic Capitol) or Red White and Blue, or what ever, we should have a color shining light onto these massive white buildings downtown each night. We should also have a neon strip of blue Trace the education building to add to the effect. I think that would be nice and exciting for our downtown, until something better comes along.

I like dressing up Turlington... And shining lights on the buildings... but even white lights would look good on the highly reflective surfaces. WE will neon the heck outta our new residential s eventually, but i think the buisness-esque buildings should be done delicately. And what is wronge with the Tennessee holiday inn... come one with the neon replacement... i am sure katrina and fsu has made u enough money this year to facilitate such an asthetic repair.

Yes... I agree. It seemed we could need have all of the Neon Strip lit on the same night. LOL! Funny you mention that building because I just took a good picture of it tonight that was going to use at a later date for picture of the day.

Give me Blue Neon on those sharp edges of the Turlington Building and I'll be happy.

yes, sires add visabiility and hieght. but we dont need ot have them mandated or added at all... I would like to see spires atop our commercial DT ventures... aka the project on monroe that has just surfaced. A spire at that part of the skyline will have a significant impact on the building and the image of the city. The design should have some form of ornamental variety.

About that building... did you see my proposal! LOL! I tried to pull a CSMurphy with the Paint Program. No one has said anything, so I'll take it my art work sucked, as always.

But here's a building that has the look I think would fit that site well. Monroe @ College.

3034rsa_towerwb.jpg

or something that looks like this

residential_condos_drawing.jpg

Without residential, the lot is zoned for 150ft. Residential and they can "go as high as they want". I'll believe it when I see it. But from what I'm told, a variance can be awarded for projects with a 25%+ residential component.

I do think the spire is a long stretch. But I would love to see a building like that here in town sometime before I die.

What was your e-mail about? Please share.

uhh. how i proposed we start talks with jetblue to bring them here, as a replacement for airtran to fill the discount airline void.

And i asked about skyline lighting.....

And I asked a few more things... i forget, but i hit the main points,

Archived