Skyline Lighting

Go Gators

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

You guys are right. I just started noticing this lack of skyline lighting at night and it stinks. It's all dark. I'm all for energy conservation, but a little light, please. Over the holidays I'm traveling to many places. Two of them are Charlotte and Columbia, SC. I'll see what they do w/their skylines at night as far as lighting them up.

I think downtown skyline is best viewed from FAMU campus and then the second best view is from Apalachee P'way at Magnolia area. Third place would be at where Mission runs into Ocala right at Tennessee.

Worst views are from the North on Monroe and the near west.

For a city that prides itself on its beautiful, old-growth foliage, such words are provocative TaureanJ. I don't see how the question of trees and green space enters into the concern about vertical lighting of the sheer faces of larger downtown buildings. Surely there are lighting solutions that do not require the razing of all plants above shrubbery height. I might not be up on the technological limits to illuminating the sides of skyscrapers, but I would hope that tall trees and tall buildings can coexist peacefully.

For a city that prides itself on its beautiful, old-growth foliage, such words are provocative TaureanJ. I don't see how the question of trees and green space enters into the concern about vertical lighting of the sheer faces of larger downtown buildings. Surely there are lighting solutions that do not require the razing of all plants above shrubbery height. I might not be up on the technological limits to illuminating the sides of skyscrapers, but I would hope that tall trees and tall buildings can coexist peacefully.

P... notice I chose my words carefully.... CERTAIN TREES, in CERTAIN LOCATIONS were key. Not ALL trees. I'm simply noting the trees help in making things seem darker.

i will let TJ slide on that one becasue i know how much he loves his trees. there are ugly trees downtwon if you look around. trees that are sad compared to the beautiful ones we should concern ourselves with preserving... adn i am a hugger, dont get me wronge. I am watching the tree at pensicola and chapel very carefully. I am afraid it isnt in the rendering. precarious at best.

I'm for leaving all the healthy Live Oaks alone along Park Avenue and in front of the County Courthouse that houses the ignorant County Commission. All trees other than Live Oaks in the immediate downtown area are fair game to be removed IMO and replaced w/Palms. :) (You knew I was gonna work palms into this somehow.)

LOL! I knew you'd throw in the Palms. How about we ammend your statement to to include Magnolias as well. I love those Magnolias.

I'm not terribly crazy about Pine Trees... they're a dime a dozen and grow extremely fast... so I'm not as sensitive to them.

But you'd better have a good reason to mess with one of my oaks and mags.

That ugly thing isn't MY rendering! That came from the Hyatt Place website for their prototypes. I just posted it! But it did have quite a bit of skylighting. One of the neatest things about the lights on the building at night is they transition from color to color. The hotel itself has a neon-contemporary feel to it... which you either love or hate...

... Normally I love these projects proposed for downtown, but I'm not sure I can say I love this one. I can't wait to get some information on the office building.

Considering night lighting with the Hyatt Place in the mix, I might actually grow to like this project.

I'd love to see them light up the circular portion of the Challenger/IMAX with some blue and green at night. I think it would be cool to see the continental shapes lined in NEON green with blue uplighting.

oh yes, i love red lighting... our DT would be sexy in red. I do like the night lighiting in the prototype for hyatt. I believe it will be visable from as far away as Thapre in the west. Nice hilltop location, seven is nice, i hope the office is 10 or better with the "Floridian" sign bright at night!

I know exaclty what you mean. Its too dark for a downtown... in some places outright scary. I'd like to see us light establish a clear boundary around downtown and light it up, government buildings, monuments, hotels, stores, restaurants, fountains.. the whole thing. If we want to become a serious city, we need some city lights.

Archived