Major FAMU Expansion!

Florida

FAMU's New $26 Million Gym

DSCF1997.jpg

DSCF2000.jpg

DSCF1998.jpg

Florida A&M University officials broke ground on a new multi-purpose teaching gym.

The site, just across from the Gaither Gym, will seat a crowd of 10,000, 6500 more than the current gym.

The $26 million building, complete with state-of-the-art weight rooms and classrooms, is set for completion in the fall of 2007.

DSCF2005.jpg

FAMU Breaks Ground on New Research School

Wednesday, FAMU officials broke ground on the new K-12 Developmental Research School, a $20 million facility. The building will sit at the corner of Wanish Way and Orange Avenue. Completion of the new research school is set for fall 2007.

New FAMU Gym, New Florida A&M Gym, New FAMU Sports Facility, New Florida A&M Sports Facility. FAMU Sports. FAMU Facilities. FAMU Buildings. Florida A&M Sports, Florida A&M Facilities, Florida A&M Buildings. Florida A&M High School, New FAMU High School, New FAMU DRS, New FAMU Developmental Research School.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, this new Teaching Gym has moved locations so many times. I'm glad it's finally getting done. Can't wait to see some renderings. I wonder how construction is coming along with the new (much needed) Rec Center, too.

And, the DRS is in dire need of new facilities as well. There's no way they can compete with the facilities they are currently working with.

This is great news -- just in time for Homecoming in a couple of weeks!

Man, this new Teaching Gym has moved locations so many times. I'm glad it's finally getting done. Can't wait to see some renderings. I wonder how construction is coming along with the new (much needed) Rec Center, too.

And, the DRS is in dire need of new facilities as well. There's no way they can compete with the facilities they are currently working with.

This is great news -- just in time for Homecoming in a couple of weeks!

Recreation Center Progress As of October 6, 2005

DSCF2002.jpg

Thats going to be a nice gym. I will be even nicer to watch our Rattlers with out sweating half to death before halftime.

Looks like Wanish Way will have 2 new facilities in the up comming years, i just hope they resolve a potiential parking issue, because parking is already at a premium in that area.

^ WOW. Thanks Florabama Guy for that well thoughtout information.

Just for clarification, the Civic Center Authority, has a 13-member board, of which 7 are appointed by the president of FSU, 2 are appointed by FAMU, 2 appointed by the mayor of Tallahassee, and 2 appointed by the County chair.

I agree with your thoughts on the status of these projects. I think the sluggish manner of doing business at Florida A&M in the past has cost the school a great bit, in terms of resources. I am optimistic about the future of FAMU however.

In terms of the Presidential search, I wouldn't rule out all CC candidates for the job. Some CC Presidents know the systems well, are great with politics, and are visionaries. T.K. Wetherell, FSU's president, is a shining example of what I mean. Sure he had a great bit of time in the state legislature before becoming president of TCC, there may be others out there like him.

Why is it taking the FAMU Board of Trustees so long to begin the search? Would a non-black candidate for the job have a fair shot at getting it? And what about the dean of the School of Business and Industry? I say some things need to be shaken up within the ranks of the board of trustees first, because its becoming difficult to TRUST they'll work quick enough to get issues resolved.

But congrats to Castell, the Students and Faculty for a job well done. FAMU has shown a great deal of strength through these rough times. Hopefully the media coverage will get better. As is the case in this country, sometimes the masses only want you to know certain things.

Florabama Guy... are you in Tallahassee?

I think they wanted to give Dr. Bryant aka. "the clean-up woman" time to do the job they bought her in to do. Now that she's pretty much done that, it's now time to get the search going, which they are beginning to do now by forming the search committee. The job of president should be much more desireable now than it was a year ago now that most of the major problems have been taken care of.

I wouldn't rule out bringing in a CC president with vision. However, Dr. Bryant is not a visionary. I don't believe she thinks big enough for FAMU. She's good at the day-to-day, and would be a great Provost. However, she says she's retiring after this gig is over. We'll see, though.

It was mentioned somewhere else that the delay in construction has caused both of these projects to be scaled back somewhat. However, I can't wait see these buildings go up. I really don't see FAMU giving up its seats on the Civic Center board, either, without a buyout offer. Even though it wouldn't change the power structure much, I could see FSU buying out our seats (in the future) just to really stake their claim on the center. Outside of the Career Expos, Homecoming Concert and Commencement (Fall & Summer), we really don't use the Civic Center that much, at least that I know of.

Jahi.

I agree with everything you've said there. You and Florabama, have made some going points. You make a good point in reminding us that Mrs. Bryant's role is to clean things up. And I believe you're right, the job will be much more desirable for highly qualified candidates once they see the school has its ducks in a row (figure of speech for all of the animal activist).

In light of what you said, I want to take back my comments on the board of trustees. Its sometimes hard to see things without having them pointed out to you. And often we organizations try to do things discretely they are percieved as incompetent, as was my perception of them.

Its one thing to have an opinion based on personal feelings. Its another to have one based on insight. Thank you both.

Archived