Welcome to UrbanPlanet Tallahassee

Florida

Hi!!!!

I decided to stop lurking and finally make the leap. I really have enjoyed reading everyones take on development here in Tallahassee. Let me introduced myself....

Name:David

I live in eastern Leon County off Baum Road. I have lived in the Tallahassee Area since 1991. I really enjoy keeping up with development in Tallahassee and throughout Florida. I travel a lot. I have been to most parts of the world. However, there is no place like home and there is no place like Tallahassee. :D

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found this board the other day and must say that it is quite interesting. I have lived the majority of my life in Tally and Jax. To me it is fasinating how much this region has changed over the last 20-15 years.

Anyhow, a little about myself: I have lived in Texas, Arizona, Illinios, and have traveled throughout the Middle East and Europe. I love to travel but the more I do the more I appreciate North Florida. I recently finished a four-year enlistment in the Army and currently attending FSU. I am also a TCC alum:)

Welcome to you both SkyDave & BHCav! It's great to have more input from different sources. I look forward to your opinions and ideas whether they are in agreement or not w/what I post. It's also refreshing to have people here who are fans of Tally/NFL and want to see it prosper.

• 3 weeks later...

I've posted a few times, but I don't think I've introduced myself yet...

I am Dave Bujak. I wear many hats...

I am an operations officer with the Florida Division of Emergency Management.

I am a volunteer firefighter with the Chaires-Capitola Volunteer Fire Department in eastern Leon County.

I am a professional photographer for www.InSituPhoto.com

I am a civil engineer by degree, but don't practice it anymore.

well i came across this site not too long ago and was lurking around reading topics and finally decided to start posting.

i'm victor. i'm an army brat (dad retired in '94 so we didn't move too much after that). i consider orlando home and graduated high school there in '03. i'm 21 and here to study social science education at FSU but always interested in cities and urban planning and growth in general. i've lived in tally since august '03 and don't really plan to stay here after college but i'm definitely interested in what's going on with the city while i'm here.

I've been following your discussions for awhile now and finally took the time to join. I live in rural Leon County, have a very interesting job, and am an advocate of in-filling instead of sprawl. I'll be posting about preservation of our natural and cultural resources, community organizing and responsibility.

Ghost

Yeah Ghost, you just gonna tease us w/that job description? :)

Big advocate here too of infill, but it's hard to do in this town b/c of all the NIMBY's. We need to educate the NIMBY's about the benefits of infill and the evils of sprawl.

Welcome!

Ahhh, the joys of my job (LOL).

Welcome to UP-Tallahassee Ghost! Glad to have you on board with us. So you're just going to tease us with the job thing, huh? You could moonlight at the old Sunland Hospital...Ha!. :P Looking forward to your posts & input.

Edited by Glenn

Welcome to UP-Tallahassee Ghost! Glad to have you on board with us. So your just going to tease us with the job thing, huh? You could moonlight at the old Sunland Hospital. :P Looking forward to your posts & input.

I've been watching Sunland on my infrequent trips through that piece of town. I'm wondering if the new development is ever going to happen. 65506500_e8cb09a48e_m.jpg

I'm betting that the building, based on it's age, is full of asbestos, and will cost someone big money to mitigate before it's torn down.

Hey Guys, Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Matthew and just joined this urban planet though I have been reading these forums for a few months now. I just recently transferred to FSU from Duke to do some graduate work and so far besides being such a small capitol, i like it. I am alittle depressed not seeing the huge skyline i had anticipated for the capitol city of the nation's 4th most populated state but I manage to find happiness seeing all this good news like plaza tower. That is going to be a beautiful building. I got into all this urban planet stuff by stumbing upon the most beautiful building in my life. First off, let me tell you I have seen a lot. I have been to Manhattan, Tokyo, Chicago, Miami, and Milan and out of all these cities,this building in Charlotte just took my breathe away. The architechture was out of this world. It was like something out of Gothem city in batman. If they made another one (like a future batman), they should use this building for wayne tower in the year 2100.

Well here it goes, the birth of urban fever for me.

It started out in this city my girlfriend lived in at the time . It is known as Charlotte, NC. Very beautiful place, very clean, and has a gorgeous skyline. I began to approach the city for the first time coming into it via i-85 and couldn't help but notice this vast beautifully lit building off in the distance. Sure enough, it was so stunning from afar that I had to get up close. So I took the nearest off ramp and navigated myself downtown and parked my car on S Tryon Street and began my march. When I was in a few blocks distance, her beauty was irresistable. She just overtook all the other surrounding towers and made her presence known.

Charlotte has become the 2nd largest banking capitol in the country behind NYC due to the fact that Charlotte banks bought out most of the ones in the country ( including the ones in San Fran). It is home to Bank of America and Wachovia headquarters. Naturally, with such an industry present, nice things are bound to be manifested right? Well, Bank of America did just that. It is the Bank of America Coporate Tower. The skyline at night was just blessed by the beauty she emits. Standing at around 70 stories, I was looking up at almost a 90 degree angle it seemed and just taking in this beauty from below. I couldn't help but notice the design and the sleak, futuristic character that was put into her. It amazed me.

I'll post a picture of it for those of you who have never had the pleasure of visiting this city and seeing it yourself, but realizethat no picture or words can do this justice. Besides, take the time to see the next Atlanta of the South on the rise. It is around 2 million people right now in greater Charlotte. But unlike most cities, the founders and big wigs in Charlotte have wanted Charlotte to become the nation's biggest metropolis from day 1 so urban planning is at its peak. They're first goal is to make it stand by itself. By this, they mean that when someone says Charlotte. They don't have to include the , NC. Its just Charlotte. Like NYC is NYC or Chicago is Chicago without the Illinois. Very cool stuff. Anyways, this is how I got interested in Urban development. Take the time to see this place for yourself. My wildest dreams would be to see something like this in Tally tough I do realize it is highly unlikely especially considering state regulations limiting anything to no higher the the capitol building.

68_1040_%20copy272.jpg

Can you guess which building it is? Like I said, this picture doesn't do it justice. Go see it for yourself.

Matthew