Shopping in SC

motonenterprises

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Myrtle Beach = #1 Outlet shopping

Overall shopping:

#1 - Charleston (no doubt 'bout it! Lucky, Gucci, Urban Outfitters, and Lacoste among others)

#2 - Greenville ("wise man once say, 'Lucky and Urban come very soon one day!'")

#3 - Columbia (have always received stores after Greenville, ie. Banana Republic and Abercrombie)

• 4 weeks later...

I would have to say Myrtle Beach beats anything else that I have seen in SC by a long shot. I was in MB this weekend and I was quite flabberghasted to see that 350,000 people had come there over the holiday weekend to shop.

The area has 3 regional malls including the largest regional mall in SC. And the Briarcliff Mall was recently expanded and rennovated to include a Bass Pro Outdoor World. The only one in SC I believe.

Also Myrtle Beach has not one but two Tanger Outlet shopping malls. One was recently completed and includes a great deal of outparcel shopping.

If you can't find it in Myrtle Beach, then you don't need it. :lol:

Columbia (have always received stores after Greenville, ie. Banana Republic and Abercrombie)

I have to disagree with that statement. Columbia had Macy's when no one else in the state did, as well as Bonwil Teller. Unfortunately, both chains went through bankruptcy and closed alot of stores. Columbia is getting Sharper Image before Greenville and as far as local shopping, Columbia has 3 great in-town shopping areas: The Vista, Five Points and Devine Street. Nowhere else in SC can bost of 3 such areas. Also, Columbia has the only Storehouse in South Carolina.

Columbia (have always received stores after Greenville, ie. Banana Republic and Abercrombie)

I have to disagree with that statement. Columbia had Macy's when no one else in the state did, as well as Bonwil Teller. Unfortunately, both chains went through bankruptcy and closed alot of stores. Columbia is getting Sharper Image before Greenville and as far as local shopping, Columbia has 3 great in-town shopping areas: The Vista, Five Points and Devine Street. Nowhere else in SC can bost of 3 such areas. Also, Columbia has the only Storehouse in South Carolina.

Greenville also got Old Navy after the other 2 of the big three... It all comes out about even, though. What exactly do you mean by "Nowhere else in SC can bost of 3 such areas." ???

I'm not trying to start a GVL vs COLA thread. I just vaguely remember when I was a child and Columbia had Macy's downtown and it was the only Macy's in SC at the time (I believe). I just forgot about Rich's closing and Macy's taking over all of their dept. stores.

I'm in favor of both cities becoming shopping meccas in SC and the Southeast. I also tend to defend both when any outsider (or insider) says anything negative about the two.

It was more of a conversion than a takeover. From what I understand Macy's already owned Rich's. It was just a matter of changing the signs and such.

Federated Department Stores had owned Rich's since 1976 and they bought Macy's out of bankruptcy in 1994. Both stores became nameplates on a larger holding company, and as time went on, the stores became virtually identical in design and merchandising.

It was more of a conversion than a takeover. From what I understand Macy's already owned Rich's. It was just a matter of changing the signs and such.

My question is why Nordstroms and Macys have not come to Charleston at all. No mall in the area has even tried to attract these anchor stores, and it might be too expensive for these stores to build locations DT, though a Macy's DT would be excellent.

My question is why Nordstroms and Macys have not come to Charleston at all. No mall in the area has even tried to attract these anchor stores, and it might be too expensive for these stores to build locations DT, though a Macy's DT would be excellent.

Belk and Dillard's have had a lock on the area's retail department store space, and new projects ahev been scarce. Even when Belk changed loactions at Citadel Mall, they sold to a "friendly" competitor: Parisian. If there's a major lifestyle center that pops up in or near Charleston, though, don't count Macy's or Nordstrom out. Macy's is as close as Savannah and Nordstrom would kill for a market like Charleston.

That is something to think about. If Charleston has Saks and Gucci, why don't they have Macy's or Norstrom. A Macy's in DT Charleston would be really nice and unique.

Charlotte just recently got a Nordstroms, right? So why would they locate in suburban Charleston? Charleston has Saks and Gucci because of tourists and the extremely dense and pricey downtown.

Saks is very small, even by Saks's standards and Gucci wouln't be in the same mall as Nordstrom normally anyway. Plus Charlotte is a pretty good distance form Charleston, enough that it could make sense to have Nordstrom in Charleston if the market's there. It could feed off upscale shoppers from Wilmington, Myrtle Beach and Savannah, not to mention the rest of the Lowcountry.

Saks is very small, even by Saks's standards and Gucci wouln't be in the same mall as Nordstrom normally anyway. Plus Charlotte is a pretty good distance form Charleston, enough that it could make sense to have Nordstrom in Charleston if the market's there. It could feed off upscale shoppers from Wilmington, Myrtle Beach and Savannah, not to mention the rest of the Lowcountry.

The market is getting there, and Citadel Mall would be wise to add another anchor store such as Nordstrom's. It would really help its status as a central shopping area. As far as DT, Macy's or Nordstrom's would have to lease a freestanding unit, because the "mall" there is Charleston Place, and there is simply no room to build an anchor store in that property.

Archived