Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

• 3 months later...

I drive by this site every morning, but have never found out what is going up here. Between Kenilworth and Scott just past Latta Pavillion, a large ground clearing and foundation are being poured here. Does anyone know what type of project is scheduled to be implemented? If anyone has a web address for the project, I'd really like to take a look at it. I'm guessing it looks like a mixed-use project w/ primarily residential above ground floor retail. Condos, apartments, thanks in advance for any insight.

it's Summit Properties newest apartment project.....originally planned to be called Summit Dilworth, it will probably be called Camden Dilworth (Camden just completed its acquisition of Summit)

The building was desinged by Furman and will look very "furman-ish".....It will be 4 stories tall on Scott Avenue and 3 stories tall of Kenilworth and will wrap a parking deck with a pool on top.......The top floor units will have unbelieveable views of downtown....

I don't believe there will be any ground floor retail, but I could be wrong.

• Like 1

it's Summit Properties newest apartment project.....originally planned to be called Summit Dilworth, it will probably be called Camden Dilworth (Camden just completed its acquisition of Summit)

The building was desinged by Furman and will look very "furman-ish".....It will be 4 stories tall on Scott Avenue and 3 stories tall of Kenilworth and will wrap a parking deck with a pool on top.......The top floor units will have unbelieveable views of downtown....

I don't believe there will be any ground floor retail, but I could be wrong.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's about what I expected, although I think they could have pushed the height a little more, 6-8 stories at most. Views to uptown should be spectacular.

The certainly could have, though DCDA (the Dilworth community group) flipped out on this project. As part of their rezoning request they had to agree to the height restrictions.....

I personally don't see the problem with this being higher....I'd much rather look at an urban apartment building over any part of the hospital. The whole area betwen Scott and Kenilworth should be mid-rise residential.....it's between two heavily used 1-way streets and the property values suffer drastically because of this.......multi-family is really the only viable option IMO, plus it creates urban energy along major roads......something we need to be concentrating on.

• Like 1

The certainly could have, though DCDA (the Dilworth community group) flipped out on this project.  As part of their rezoning request they had to agree to the height restrictions.....

I personally don't see the problem with this being higher....I'd much rather look at an urban apartment building over any part of the hospital.  The whole area betwen Scott and Kenilworth should be mid-rise residential.....it's between two heavily used 1-way streets and the property values suffer drastically because of this.......multi-family is really the only viable option IMO, plus it creates urban energy along major roads......something we need to be concentrating on.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I couldn't agree more. Dilworth has plenty of character off of the main thoroughfares, but this particular pair of streets should be lined w/ multi-family. It's moving that way all along major arteries down through south park which is good to see.

The certainly could have, though DCDA (the Dilworth community group) flipped out on this project.  As part of their rezoning request they had to agree to the height restrictions.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Once people smell the air 5 stories up, they'll want to plow over meemaw myrtle's begonias, and pave over latta park. We just can't have that in li'l ole dilwuth.

I think it is an eventuality that scott and kenilworth will be urban block 4-5 story buildings from Romany to Park. But the change over will be very very slow, as dilworth wants for ensure quality. I agree with you guys that the current status of those blocks detract so much from dilworth's charm, it has nothing to lose, but considering dilworth is one of the handful of neighborhoods that has region-wide, and new-comer respect, i'll let them have their picky ways.

I think the powerlines hurt the area the most. Do you guys think that the city or duke will eventually do something with those? i don't think they are able to move them underground (but if they can, then great), but i think if they could replace those framed pyramid poles with the quasi-tree poles like they have at 10th and Brookshire in first ward... it at least makes them a little less obvious and ugly at the ground level.

yeah....those hi-ten wires are pretty damn unsightly.....another reason that property values on Kenilworth are so much lower than the surrounding areas......they COULD move them underground but I doubt they ever will (there's something DCDA should be fighting for)......I haven't noticed what's one 10th.....i guess the disguises work pretty well.

• Like 1

I don't think those power lines will be buried because the local residents don't want to foot the bill for it and the rest of the taxpayers in the city or county will greatly opppose buring lines for one of the most exclusive neighborhoods in the city. Duke won't pay for it because it hurts the bottom line.

I personally don't see the problem with this being higher....I'd much rather look at an urban apartment building over any part of the hospital.  The whole area betwen Scott and Kenilworth should be mid-rise residential.....it's between two heavily used 1-way streets and the property values suffer drastically because of this.......multi-family is really the only viable option IMO, plus it creates urban energy along major roads......something we need to be concentrating on.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is a fantastic point. Certain sections of Dilworth shoud retain their neighborhood feel, but it's time for folks that close to downtown to realize they live in a city. Mid-rise buildings (5-15 stories) should be the goal along this area. As you mentioned it will really help to bring urban energy along this corridor. Frankly, I remember how nuts they went over Latta Pavalion, but that has added more vibrancy to that area than anything in a long time.

It is possible to bury them (NYC does)......but it's a serious investment....and serious investment for asthetic purposes isn't one of the qualities Charlotte is know for.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wonder if the city could start doing Tax-increment financing for burying wires in areas that are growing like this... besides, isn't it a safety risk to have these lines right above residential units?

I had read once that new wire technology was available that can carry much more power in a single line than in many traditional high-voltage lines... i wonder if that technology has made its way to commercial viability yet. It seems like if you could carry more power in a single line, you could take away some of the seriously engineered poles like they have on k-worth, and shift to less noticeable poles, even if burying isn't an option. It seems like if they made the poles really tall, without a mess of wires 100 feet up... and then plant trees below that don't need to be hacked to death, that you could make the lines almost invisible from an aesthetic point of view...

Who knows... i'm sure it won't happen.

Does anyone know what's going on with The Epicurean Shops there on East Blvd? That lot has been cleared off for some time now and is really leaving a dead spot in what could be a very vibrant section of the East Blvd corridor. If they were to finally build that project I really think we would see dramatic improvement in the urban style of East Blvd. with Latta on one side and this project on the other. I don't know why Blockbuster had to build a POS suburban style store right there though. I think the more urban development that pops up in these less quaint sections of Dilworth the more the residents of Dilworth will see how it adds to the positive feel of their neighborhood and hopefully we will see them come around. However I do respect them in fighting for the cause of preserving the quieter and historic aspects of Dilworth. It

^exactly......as far as the Epicurean.....they are apparantly impossible to work with. They wanted to develop the lot themselves, but have been unable to. A developer has not been able to reach any-sort of agreement with them to get this done quicker (and right)......I don't see any conclusion to this prime piece of real estate in the near future......however, the ADT building behind this site is now vacant, and Blockbuster only has a land lease and does not own its parcel, so possibly a huge project one day can transform that whole block.....

• Like 1

^exactly......as far as the Epicurean.....they are apparantly impossible to work with.  They wanted to develop the lot themselves, but have been unable to.  A developer has not been able to reach any-sort of agreement with them to get this done quicker (and right)......I don't see any conclusion to this prime piece of real estate in the near future......however, the ADT building behind this site is now vacant, and Blockbuster only has a land lease and does not own its parcel, so possibly a huge project one day can transform that whole block.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You guys are a fountain of info. I'm hopeful that they can make something work for a larger project around there.

Is that ADT building old? It always strikes me when i notice it, that it doesn't look half bad....

What will happen to the building on Morehead Street that currently houses The Children's Theatre when The Children's Theatre moves to Imaginon. I believe the building is currently owned by the city although some people have said it belongs to the women's club. I have been hearing a lot of rumors that the building will be torn down. I think that would be a true shame. It's an awesome building, more so on the interior than the exterior. The moldings in the building are great with 48 stars across the crown molding representing the 48 states that were around during construction. I also know it was originally a VFW. Anyway, does anybody know what may happen to it? A great buiding like that could be put to a thousand great re-uses.

Edited by appatone

The worst part about knowing about a project is waiting for them to break ground......I get obsessed to the point that some projects that I expect to break ground any day I will drive by twice a day.......

Sorry, just thought I would share that strange obsession.....

hahahaha.  I've done that a few times just from info from this board.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't worry you aren't the only one... when I take someone new through uptown and surrounding areas... I fill their heads with all the new projects that just about to happen. Its kinda funny actually

• Like 1