Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

They will renovate the historic school as well......it is also going to add to the existing Dilworth Elementary.

Unfortunately they don't have a rendering up, but it's going to be one of the most intersting and urban elementary school designs in the county when it's completed.

^ Agreed. Went to the DCDA meetings when this was coming downt the pike. The porte cochere for the school is actually a connector (above the drive) from the school to the Euclid Center. It is one of the better-designed schools Charlotte-Mecklenburg has gotten over the past several years.

Edited by Miesian Corners

What was built there before? Why was it torn down? Will anything ever be built again anytime soon?I drive by it every day and its such an eyesore in the neighborhood and it just drags down the vibrant feeling of the block. :( I think I am going to go to next DCDA meeting and suggest some low cost beautification of the site if the owners would allow it. Its not like most of the residents in Dilworth could'nt afford to pool resources and contribute. If its going to sit undeveloped for eons some flowers and landscaping would be help a little.

For a long time, maybe decades this was the location of the Epicurean Restaurant. In days gone by, it along with the former Lamplighter restaurant on Morehead were the high class restaurants in the city. This was in the days when downtown had been abandoned and it basically closed down at night. The Epicurean has been gone so long, I don't quite remember it anymore.

A little more history.

I believe the oldest surviving restaurant on East Blvd is 300 East. It was once known as The White Horse and originally opened in the building now occupied by the East Blvd Bar & Grill. They changed their name, more than a decade ago to 300 East, but they serve the same basic menu which they had in the 1970s. The have an unadvertized house drink called a Matilda Wong. Be careful, it packs a whallop but it is really good. When they opened in their current location it started a trend to convert old houses into restaurants. Alexander Michaels is another example of this.

The White Horse was not the first restaurant in a converted house however. There used to be a place on East Blvd in the building next to 300 East called Josh's restaurant. It was semi-Gay even in the late 70s. The last time I was there was in 1983 and it closed when I was living in Boca Raton in the mid 80s. This was a pretty sketchy area in these days so you mostly saw a artsy gay crowd going to the White Horse and Josh's. It became yuppified in the late 80s early 90s.

A little more history.

I believe the oldest surviving restaurant on East Blvd is 300 East. It was once known as The White Horse and originally opened in the building now occupied by the East Blvd Bar & Grill. They changed their name, more than a decade ago to 300 East, but they serve the same basic menu which they had in the 1970s. The have an unadvertized house drink called a Matilda Wong. Be careful, it packs a whallop but it is really good. When they opened in their current location it started a trend to convert old houses into restaurants. Alexander Michaels is another example of this.

The White Horse was not the first restaurant in a converted house however. There used to be a place on East Blvd in the building next to 300 East called Josh's restaurant. It was semi-Gay even in the late 70s. The last time I was there was in 1983 and it closed when I was living in Boca Raton in the mid 80s. This was a pretty sketchy area in these days so you mostly saw a artsy gay crowd going to the White Horse and Josh's. It became yuppified in the late 80s early 90s.

Yummy...I love their wong! I just ate there this evening. Their sweet potato raviolis are my favorite in that gorgonzola cream sauce with the walnuts and bread to soak it all up with. I never tire of that place.

I moved the separate Epicurean history thread into this one, as this thread follows the movement (or lack thereof) of that site.

I had never realized that Epicurean was such a significant restaurant in its day. It really is a shame that it just sits as a gravel lot now. The family really has an opportunity to make it a major restaurant again if they built a new restaurant.

My understanding is that they they have continued to operate as a catering business. I guess they figure the low overhead is pretty lucrative.

Are you guys speaking of the site on East Blvd. between Blockbuster and Brixx?

that's the one. i can't believe the owners haven't sold... rumour was a few years back, that they were offered a handsome price. i know someone who is related to the people who owned the car service station where blockbuster now is. they ain't working on cars no more.

I guess they are already wealthy enough from the restaurant, and don't mind holding onto the land for posterity.

I'm sure the value will continue to rise. It would be nice, though, if they allowed people to at least park on the land. Considering the parking crunch for Starbuck, Brixx, Outback, and Picassos, I bet people would even be willing to pay a couple bucks for it.

I was wondering where my posting went! It does fit better in this section Dubone. The moderators on this site actually "moderate". I don't believe it. lol

:D Yes we do.

I was contemplating putting a link, but I figured you would notice it as part of the Dilworth thead when it popped to the top of the page.

I guess they are already wealthy enough from the restaurant, and don't mind holding onto the land for posterity.

I'm sure the value will continue to rise. It would be nice, though, if they allowed people to at least park on the land. Considering the parking crunch for Starbuck, Brixx, Outback, and Picassos, I bet people would even be willing to pay a couple bucks for it.

Or even the new restaurant where the Red Star Tavern used to be. It looks nice from what I can see, I need to check it out sometime.

Or even the new restaurant where the Red Star Tavern used to be. It looks nice from what I can see, I need to check it out sometime.

Patou isn't new, it just moved from a former location on Park Road. It's French and I thought it was good the one time I went, but that was before they moved.

Not sold.....yet. A developer has been pursuing it, but the owner hasn't been willing to sell. Apparantly the owner is now more willing to discuss selling it in the past, but certainly isn't in a rush to get rid of it......if and when it does get sold, the Bi-Lo is coming down.

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte.../12/story2.html

The makeover of The Courtyard/Dilworth Crossing shopping center at Park Rd and Ideal Way might actually still have a BiLo. They are considering a complete rebuild of it, however. It will also probably have residential, and a new restaurant "Las Ramblas" by the owner of Bonterra.

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte.../12/story2.html

The makeover of The Courtyard/Dilworth Crossing shopping center at Park Rd and Ideal Way might actually still have a BiLo. They are considering a complete rebuild of it, however. It will also probably have residential, and a new restaurant "Las Ramblas" by the owner of Bonterra.

A complete rebuild may be nice... Disco Kroger, wasn't it once?

bilodilworth5nc.jpg

Edited by cantnot

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Park+a.../Latta+pics.htm

I haven't seen anything posted on this, but the Latta Rec Center steel framing is up and in progress now.

Does this project include renovation of the historic school on Euclid?

They will renovate the historic school as well......it is also going to add to the existing Dilworth Elementary.

Unfortunately they don't have a rendering up, but it's going to be one of the most intersting and urban elementary school designs in the county when it's completed.

Is this what you guys were talking about? This is from Euclid. Im over there all the time but just have not noticed this much was going on.

12-14-05057.jpg

12-14-05058.jpg