Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

• 2 weeks later...

I see you left off 615 E. Morehead....maybe not intentional?

There is also a ~50 unit condo project by Tidewater Dev. that will be in the northeast corner of Tremont and Cleveland.

Also, to be picky, CMC is also increasing the height of it's surgery tower (from 7 to 10 floors) in conjunction with the children's hospital, but they are technically two separate projects.

I see you left off 615 E. Morehead....maybe not intentional?

There is also a ~50 unit condo project by Tidewater Dev. that will be in the northeast corner of Tremont and Cleveland.

Also, to be picky, CMC is also increasing the height of it's surgery tower (from 7 to 10 floors) in conjunction with the children's hospital, but they are technically two separate projects.

I left it as an "active master plan"/light blue on the Uptown version. This one was an omission. I'll add it back when I get the chance.

Also, what are the names of the projects at Oriole/Lex, and McDonald/Euclid?

Oriole/Lex is called Dilworth at Lexington

McDonald/Euclid is so far unnamed, but was designed by Furman (but is not a Blvd. Centro project)...I think they may have used the working title Lofts at Dilworth or something like that

Edited by atlrvr

Oriole/Lex is called Dilworth at Lexington

McDonald/Euclid is so far unnamed, but was designed by Furman (but is not a Blvd. Centro project)...I think they may have used the working title Lofts at Dilworth or something like that

Is it Latta Heights? If not, where is that project, and is it completed?

http://www.theblvdco.com/properties_latta.shtml

• 3 weeks later...

From idilworth.org : Here we go again.."

More mass-condo development is coming to Dilworth. There is a rezoning petition for the lot right behind Blockbuster for a concentrated 35units/acre condo development. Fortunately this time we don't have an manipulating insider leading the DCDA and may be able to put real pressure on this.

If you think Kenilworth is busy and dangerous as it is, wait until this develpment comes up - not to mention the issues during construction time (recall Latta Pavillion?). I may be wasting computer bytes writing this as my understanding is that not a single project proposed on the last 10 years has been stopped by anyone but better to be informed than not." The traffic on Kenilworth is already a nightmare and I can't imagine how much worse it will be when Camden Dilworth is completed. Another massive complex is ridiculous. Oh yeah, another condo is being built right next to the Harris Teeter entrance on Kenilworth. I still can't believe that. The lot seems SO small

I saw that online a couple of days ago....I find it really funny, considering that the 35 condos will generate about half the daily car trips as the Blockbuster, plus connectivity is being improved since a drive is being cut through the site between Kenilworth and Scott.

Kenilworth SHOULD be dense, especailly since the long range plan calls for a streetcar down it. In my mind Kenilworth should have 3 story condos and townhouses lining it between Morehead and Park and Scott should have 4 stories.

The reason those old homes are mostly rentals is that Scott and Kenilworth are already too busy and fast for SFR's to be appealing to owners.

Sometimes you have to realize that time has introduced a new land use to an area. We will see more redevelopment along these streets.

• 2 weeks later...

It is a nice modern interpretation of arts and crafts design, but it is ridiculous how they put a wall around it and made it an insular community within the neighborhood.

It almost made their opposition to Lowes, going in next door, laughable as they already had their large brick noise and bad people wall all around it.

Yes. Olmsted was one of the first new developments in the area after several decades of neglect. It was built in the late 80s at the location of the more famous Crocket Park, baseball stadium after it burned down. (this was when the baseball team moved to Ft. Mill) Considering the spec level of the homes, it was a relatively expensive development for the time, but probably a good investment for those people who decided to buy one of the new homes. When it was built, the surrounding neighborhoods were still fairly sketchy but now are worth a lot of money.

A couple of updates.

Here is a rendering of the office building currently under construction on Morehead where the Children's Theate was. From the look of this, it appears the main entrance is from the parking lot, and there is no entrance fronting Morehead!

moreheadfinalscan2.jpg

I don't have a rendering of the four-story building going up where the Lamplighter was, but it's also brick and maybe a bit "older" looking.

There is a new condo project going up on Kenilworth right behind the Blockbuster (this corresponds to rezoning petition 2005-169). It will be called Dilworth Walk, and has a website that should be updated with renderings and floorplans any day now. I believe it will be two buildings with 32 units each.

http://www.dilworthwalk.com

Edited by atlrvr

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The houses at 1220 and 1222 Kenilworth Avenue are going to be put up for auction on April 13.

Since most of those homes are owned by either the hospital or by businesses (developers) then someone with plans may scoop them up.

Edited by MZT

I'd prefer those houses on the west side of Kenilworth, north of Romany, to stay.

The blocks between Kenilworth and Scott from Romany to Park, however, I believe should be densified.

The neighborhood association wants to minimize the chance that any of those blocks will be converted to denser use, so I'd like the existing houses west of Kenilworth to remain as a buffer.