Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

Website is up for this development.  Decent infill project with 8 townhomes..   http://1500kenilworth.com/

Decent. However, what is it with townhome projects: they hardly ever, ever give a nice homey stoop or front porch. I feel like it's always just a landing that's big enough to fit a potted plant or two and that's it. 

Like, even though this street of Steel Gardens in NoDa 
is one of my favorite in the city, definitely pretty good, it still leaves much to be desired. Are builders just too afraid to imagine people may actually want to be outside where the action is rather than their back patio?

• 2 weeks later...

Cured, the wine/cheese/beer shop that was supposed to open in the Dilworth Billiards building is no longer happening, and the plan is now to make the building office space. What a terrible waste of a cool building and even better patio (except for a few lucky employees). 

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/26947/the-dilworth-billiards-building-is-about-to-go-back-on-the-market/

In more positive news, the new Fresh Market is awesome and will probably become my go-to lunch pickup spot over Publix. They have a very respectable butcher and seafood section as well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/12/2016 at 11:49 AM, uptownliving said:

Is this project still moving forward? Haven't heard anything in almost 3 months.

Temporary fencing has been up around the site for a couple months (maybe since summer) but there has been zero activity of any kind.

4 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Solis @ Morehead and Kenilworth is my new go-to for pointing out how very very bad fake stone can look.

I like it. I have friends that live out in the suburbs, but I don't ever visit them, because you know... they live past fairview road. I can look at Solis Dilworth and pretend that i went and visited them in their suburban tract apartments. 

19 minutes ago, Niner National said:

lol I drove by Solis over the weekend and meant to post about how terrible it looks when I got home, but I forgot. It is probably the worst of the new batch of apartments.

I hate how it looks too, but I can't decide if it gets some sort of credit for trying (no matter how big a failure) a different aesthetic than the others. The mere fact that it is wrapped parking and not cars behind bars puts it ahead of a few buildings in Southend. It might win worst apartment building SIGN in the city though.

Edited by nonillogical

On 11/19/2015 at 10:03 AM, nonillogical said:

Cured, the wine/cheese/beer shop that was supposed to open in the Dilworth Billiards building is no longer happening, and the plan is now to make the building office space. What a terrible waste of a cool building and even better patio (except for a few lucky employees). 

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/26947/the-dilworth-billiards-building-is-about-to-go-back-on-the-market/

Drywall is going up and there is a big new Available sign in the window. 

On 11/19/2015 at 10:03 AM, nonillogical said:

Ugh...An architecture or IT firm, anything office - how lame.  

Does anyone know what is going on at the Shell Sstation location at the Park Rd fork, adjacent to Bulldog Beer and Wine?  IIRC the space used to be a Jack in the Box ages ago.  

41 minutes ago, CriticalT said:

Ugh...An architecture or IT firm, anything office - how lame.  

Does anyone know what is going on at the Shell Sstation location at the Park Rd fork, adjacent to Bulldog Beer and Wine?  IIRC the space used to be a Jack in the Box ages ago.  

I don't know any details but the leasing agent (The Shopping Center Group) has a _un_distinguished record in terms of urbanism.

should've planted a few more willow oaks.. Honestly though, the Lowes has, and continues to serve the nearby community and I would argue that it's locale has contributed to the healthy growth in Southend. I would expect that this particular area of Southend will see a robust, very walkable and transit dependent community in a short number of years.  

17 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

Honestly though, the Lowes has, and continues to serve the nearby community and I would argue that it's locale has contributed to the healthy growth in Southend. I would expect that this particular area of Southend will see a robust, very walkable and transit dependent community in a short number of years.  

Yup, I lived in Sedgefield a couple years ago and, except for no good crosswalk across South Blvd, being around the New Bern station was very solid. And that Lowes, even with its parking lot, is very well done on its exteriors.

Edited by SgtCampsalot

5 hours ago, asthasr said:

What? No. The state government passed laws saying that cities can't impose limitations on the design of buildings, so we're going to get a lot more ugly crap built now.

I know. My nice little community had a sound architectural committee to ensure that the builder didn't make new homes look cheap. The builder is from India and is only interested in building the cheapest crap possible with the cheapest appliances, etc.  He has not been able to get by with his sly antics in the last couple of years. Now, thanks to the state government, we on the HOA have no control on what he does to the outside of the house as far as looks are concerned.

The beige brick colonial at the corner of Charlotte and East blvd is being gutted will be a realty office (ugh). The previous plans for the building were a gastropub (I believe by the Crepe Cellar people), but NIMBYs managed to chase that away due to their fears about parking. #failureofurbanism

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 2:51 PM, caterpillar2 said:

I know. My nice little community had a sound architectural committee to ensure that the builder didn't make new homes look cheap. The builder is from India and is only interested in building the cheapest crap possible with the cheapest appliances, etc.  He has not been able to get by with his sly antics in the last couple of years. Now, thanks to the state government, we on the HOA have no control on what he does to the outside of the house as far as looks are concerned.

I think that HOAs still have control... its just the municipalities that have been neutered.  GOP would never rattle the Homebuilders lobby

The Forestar property at Kennilworth and Morehead will see some movement very soon. A building permit was just issued to do some retaining wall work on the site. The question is will Forestar complete this project or sell it off to someone else? Forestar has decided to get out of multifamily development altogether and has already started selling off their apartment portfolio.