Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

• 3 months later...

"Just learned that a deal is in the works to put in new condo units in the back of Butterfly Park located next to Sedgefield Middle School. The plan is to put them along McDonald from the baseball field all the way to the concrete path that runs from Butterfly Park to McDonald. "

Someone just posted this on the Sedgefield Nextdoor page. Anyone here know anything?

They did sell off roughly 3 acres I believe to a national home builder - maybe Pulte - in their recent round of excess real estate purging. There was an upset bid process which is now over. There have been several public articles about it, which at the moment I cannot find, but just mentioning as this is not rumor. 

Edit...found this...http://www.cms.k12.nc.us/cmsdepartments/construction/Documents/CMS Public Notice Surplus Land sale - Sedgefield.pdf

Edited by GeauxCLT

1 hour ago, GeauxCLT said:

They did sell off roughly 3 acres I believe to a national home builder - maybe Pulte - in their recent round of excess real estate purging. There was an upset bid process which is now over. There have been several public articles about it, which at the moment I cannot find, but just mentioning as this is not rumor. 

Edit...found this...http://www.cms.k12.nc.us/cmsdepartments/construction/Documents/CMS Public Notice Surplus Land sale - Sedgefield.pdf

"I became aware of this plans by CMS to sell the land when the Sedgefield a Neighborhood Assoc was working with the school on ideas of how to expand the park and this lovely land. 
As a board member we reached out to the county commissioners office and have also invited Dilworth Board to engage with us. (Not much involvement from their side but still hoping).
We made a strong point that the community can't loose access to our park from MacDonald.
We have stayed in communications and they(county Comm) have assigned a project manager to this case/property that will work with us through the negotiation with the future land developers and any deal is contingent on a access path at least as good as what we currently have.
The sale seems like it will happen even though we did express strongly that the parks department could take the land and increase the size of the park
This is an agenda item on our Sedgefield meeting on August 9th.
It's never too late and if anyone wants to jump in and help with calls, letters, petitions etc, I'm more than happy to share contact names and a little more history
Thanks
Will Johns
Sedgefield Neighborhood President"

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding the above (selling Sedgefield Elementary land abutting McDonald Ave)

From Meck Co agenda last night:

...By state statute, the County must decline its right of first refusal to any properties the
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Board of Education intends to dispose of prior to it moving forward
with conveyance to another entity. Pulte Home Corporation, a Michigan Corporation, would
like to acquire a portion of Tax Parcel #147-081-78 from Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools for
future residential purposes.

The Board of Education determined that the property was not needed by the school district
and declared it surplus on October 13, 2015. CMBE has been offered a purchase price of
$3,850,000 by Pulte Home Corporation. However, other entities have expressed an interest in
the property as well. CMS will comply with the procedures outlined in G.S. 160A-269 and offer
the property through the upset bid process.

Sedgefield Neighborhood Park is just west of the property to be disposed. An access trail is
located along the northern portion of the subject property, leading from McDonald Avenue to
the neighborhood park. CMBE has agreed to work with County Park and Recreation and the
potential buyer to ensure that access to the park is maintained....

My reading is that the upset bid process could not begin until after the County decline to purchase the land, which occurred last night.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, go_vertical said:

I didn't realize this one had wheels again. I thought it used to be called the Dillon or something but it appears to be called Lincoln at Dilworth now.

20160907_175644.jpg

20160907_175659.jpg

http://www.lincolnatdilworth.com/

here is their generic site. 

In other news. When I was in town briefly last week I could not believe how tall 500 E. Morehead was. Has quite a commanding presence in Dilworth.

• 1 month later...

500 E. Morehead is coming along (looks about ready for glass) and hoo boy is this one a disappointment. The step down from the original rendering to the current one was significant, but it looks way worse than that, as they have picked perhaps the most unappealing shade of beige yet, and the paneling looks terribly cheap while the rendering made it look like masonry. Hopefully the glassier portion at the corner and street level treatment can mediate this a bit.

1 hour ago, nonillogical said:

500 E. Morehead is coming along (looks about ready for glass) and hoo boy is this one a disappointment. The step down from the original rendering to the current one was significant, but it looks way worse than that, as they have picked perhaps the most unappealing shade of beige yet, and the paneling looks terribly cheap while the rendering made it look like masonry. Hopefully the glassier portion at the corner and street level treatment can mediate this a bit.

Glass is already going in, the materials do look pretty cheap but keep in mind there is actually A LOT of work left to do. A lot of the stone has more work to be done on it. I actually think this one turned out pretty well. Especially for the location.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2015 at 8:09 AM, rjp212 said:

Rezoning petition is up for 16 for sale duplexes in addition to 51 condos.  Property is located behind the Taco Bell on South Blvd.

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2016/017-032/2016-017%20site%20plan.pdf

I remember this got approved after they reduced the number of units but haven't seen any news in a while. 

Cometeers (across from the new building is the Comet bar and grill) say another resto-bar is one tenant. Comet was told no move was available to the new building as there was already an agreement with another. Blossom Shop (behind new building) say they have heard multiple rumors with nothing confirmed.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If this poster is referring to the Dilworth Crossing brick structure drawn just above then he may be mistaken about the classicism of this particular structure. There appears to be a single arch window and it is over the main entrance. All the other windows are standard rectangular shape. And it will hurt your eyes if you look at the building today since the second story windows do not align with the vertical brick columns of the first level. They are at random intervals. This is architectural malpractice.

3 hours ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

100% yes! Proof that Charlotte can build brand new classic buildings. Enough with the same garbage. #bringbackbrick

The brick facade is complete. There is no "working out" at this point. I only wish they could. This failure was was identified by an architect as we were regarding the building this past week. He said anyone in his office who produced such a result would be out the door. There are other issues but let it rest.