Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

LP is along my running route and in the last few weeks Quiznos has opened in the formerly Maggie Moos spot and SuperSuppers is almost ready to open where Palazzo was. I hope they succeed. I really don't see how any of those stores survive at all. I never ever ever see anybody going into any of them :blink: From what I hear the converted condos have sold well but not THAT well. They had a sign out a few weeks ago promoting short term leases on some units so I don't think the sales have matched the Uptown market. I also noticed the crane on Sunday. No idea what it signifies.

Edited by voyager12

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone heard about the house that was torn down in Dilworth? Apparently the owner had a permit to only add a 2nd floor to the house..... but instead he tore down the entire house except for the front facade.....ive heard that his permits have been pulled.....and I have no clue what other action if any will be taken. Someone did take photos and will be showing them at the neighborhood associatio meeting and also at the perservation something something meeting.

That is terrible. I think some people really don't respect the intrinsic value of their posessions, basically an antique building. Will there be any way to severely punish the owner to prevent a serious trend of 'ask for forgiveness rather than permission'.

Has anyone heard about the house that was torn down in Dilworth? Apparently the owner had a permit to only add a 2nd floor to the house..... but instead he tore down the entire house except for the front facade.....ive heard that his permits have been pulled.....and I have no clue what other action if any will be taken. Someone did take photos and will be showing them at the neighborhood associatio meeting and also at the perservation something something meeting.

Where was this? Any idea? That really blows and I'm sure it wasn't an accident at all.

Where was this? Any idea? That really blows and I'm sure it wasn't an accident at all.

Not sure if this is the house, but there is a blue bungalow on Magnolia between Park and Dilworth Rd W that seems to have had this treatment. The entire back of the structure seems to be gone, starting ~6ft from the front wall.

I *think* it's this one:

P5112636.JPG

915 Magnolia. The only permit shown for that address is for a saw service (temporary power service for construction, I believe) - completed on 12/27.

Yup THATS the house! its kinda funny.....the house looked exactly this in front.....you wouldnt even know the back of the house was gone.....LOL! I didnt know about the saw service permit for that house though. I was only told that they had permission to add a 2nd floor and that those permits have/will be pulled.

According to the police at last night's DCDA meeting, many Dilworth streets have become favored transit points for drug buys: Cleveland, Euclid, Romany, Ideal Way and others have all seen quick transfers between cars. A rash of break ins has also happened over the last few weeks and there is a harrowing report on Idilworth. org's crime page from a couple that was almost jumped and mugged by three guys on their walk home from dinner at Dolce's : "We were walking home from Dolce restaurant about 8:15. We had just turned down Winthrop, heading toward our house, when a car drove by us in the opposite direction. We heard the tires scrape the curb behind us about a half a block, and saw two teenagers, or young men, get out of the car. We didn't pay any real attention.

About a block later, just as we were coming up to the recreation center at Latta Park, a car pulled quickly up to us on the curb and a window rolled down. We initially figured, someone was asking for directions, until they said to stop that they wanted to "talk to us." Next, a black male jumped out of the rear passenger seat and told us to stop. I told my wife to take off, and as the next guy tried to get out of the front seat, I was able to slam the door on him and push him back in to the car. Fortunately, she had the presence of mind to start making a lot of noise and yelling. I think this scared them off and they jump in to the car and sped off up Park Avenue towards South Boulevard. "

I don't have much confidence in the police response to this. They always have the same line : "This is not normal for Dilworth, we will work on it..don't worry." There has been talk of reenergizng neighborhood watch patrols which I think is a good idea. Too many people seem to be in denial about crime in Dilworth.

Edited by voyager12

Now if we could just get the Epicurean site to get going. Too bad the land holders are like Levine though :(

A2

I could not agree more. I often imagine in my head during my daily run about how much better that section of East would be with Epicurean occupied. Placing a truly welcoming and integrated development ( see across the street for the opposite) would do wonders for Dilworth! The current state is such a downer for the best walkable neighborhood in Charlotte.

I could not agree more. I often imagine in my head during my daily run about how much better that section of East would be with Epicurean occupied. Placing a truly welcoming and integrated development ( see across the street for the opposite) would do wonders for Dilworth! The current state is such a downer for the best walkable neighborhood in Charlotte.

Agree 100%

A2

• 3 weeks later...

With the Epicurian site seeing little progress for years, I can't stand that they didn't just let people park on the land. With Starbucks, Picassos, and the street retail of the Latta Pavilion all having some parking troubles, this lot could have helped business grow in the area. It also could have supported more pedestrian activity as people walked to various places.

If they are now building, I hope the city forces them to do significantly more than they would have years ago, such as more parking requirements, and better design guidelines to learn from the issues of the other nearby projects.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I haven't seen this posted anywhere, so please forgive me if it has, but I was wondering if anyone was familiar with the Kirkwood Commons project? Its a conversion of an old 12 unit 1920's apt building on the corner of Ideal Way & Kirkwood. They seem to be relatively affordable, 150k+. There are only 3 units left and I think the location is great, however some of the buildings next to it on Kirkwood are still a little questionable, but all in all for the price and location I think could be a good project. Anyway, I just wanted to see what some others thoughts on the project were. Thanks.

I had not heard of this project yet and it's right near me. It's sounds interesting and reasonably priced. Kirkwood is a VERY sketchy street. I imagine all of the old apt buildings along there are going to be converted eventually and will turn the street around. My place is also on the chopping block... and while there are some affordable rentals left in Dilworth it's going to be tough for me to find another place in this 'hood. Trashy renters unite! :tough:

I haven't seen this posted anywhere, so please forgive me if it has, but I was wondering if anyone was familiar with the Kirkwood Commons project? Its a conversion of an old 12 unit 1920's apt building on the corner of Ideal Way & Kirkwood. They seem to be relatively affordable, 150k+. There are only 3 units left and I think the location is great, however some of the buildings next to it on Kirkwood are still a little questionable, but all in all for the price and location I think could be a good project. Anyway, I just wanted to see what some others thoughts on the project were. Thanks.

Kirkwood is probably the last block in Dilworth that hasn't seen much change until recently. In addition to this apartment building being converted and sold a nice looking (from the street) brick duplex has gone on the market and is pending for $328,000 -- at that price they will have to do work to it as typical Kirkwood rents of $700 - $800 for a unit won't come close to supporting the price. Another duplex last year was bought and converted to a single family home by and owner-occupant, and a couple of the really poorly built frame and asbestos duplexes have been bought and presumably will be improved somehow. Another vacant lot sold as well.

The crazy changes and homes being built beside Kirkwood on McDonald are very likely to create spillover -- those are being listed, and now have begun selling, for $800,000+.