Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Here is a reminder of the Campbell greenhouse apartment tower as I had forgotten the details.

https://www.abacuscapitalusa.com/2022/12/abacus-announces-the-campbell-high-rise-in-south-end/

Observation: This release mentions "downtown Charlotte" twice, and "Uptown Charlotte" once. I think they were trying to differentiate between "downtown Charlotte" as a more all-encompassing view, and "Uptown Charlotte" as a place , but I found it read awkwardly. 🤷‍♂️  ...and yes, Abacus Capital is in Charlotte.

Edited by J-Rob
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

What is a curated apartment? Wrong answers only.

Unit 1: Kitchen equipped with Mr. K's deep fryer and flattop rather than oven and stove.

Unit 2: 10 dollar charge to enter elevator (ladies free), velvet rope in entryway, stripper pole in living room. 

• Haha 4

I know, wrong thread, but wasn’t sure where to post this.  Visiting the triangle for the weekend.  Can someone explain to me whether the triangle is a cleaned up and classed up Charlotte?

No…depends on where you go. Raleigh is…I think noticeably a smaller feel. Roads are surprisingly crappier there than Charlotte considering how close we are to South Carolina…(just overall from where I’ve driven around in Raleigh). You might even think at some points it reminds you of Charlotte in certain areas. Rolling hills and many trees. I wouldn’t say more cleaned up either. Maybe in the suburbs? The roads are a grayish color like you see near the coastal towns. It’s interesting considering its geographical location. Definitely has a more sprawl. But the data also shows more density too. Their extensive park and greenway system makes it walkable/bike friendly though I’ve never lived there. Walkscore (don’t know the accuracy or validity of their scoring system) ranks it higher than Charlotte. Surprising. Anecdotally feels just as hard to walk there with pockets of walkable areas. Might just be the areas I have frequented.
  • Like 4

I grew up in Durham. The anti-growth, NIMBY mentality in Durham-CH is hardcore and this forced a ton of sprawl and very little urban redevelopment. To me the Triangle is much more sprawled than Charlotte, other than the universities most employment locations are scattered in all directions rather than having a small number of districts (Uptown, Southpark, U City, Btyne).  While downtown Raleigh (plus Glenwood) and downtown Durham (plus 9th st) are great there is virtually nothing else I would consider to be walkable in the Triangle  (Chapel Hill and Carrboro don't count since I am now more than twice the age of the average CH resident).
Classed up? Maybe, the crapton of academics running around the Triangle certainly creates an pseudo-intellectual affect. Cleaned up? Maybe, the lack of truly urban space means there is much less opportunity for grit.
I found the very pro-development attitudes so common in Charlotte to be a really refreshing change from the 'we gotta keep our college town a tiny college town forever' perspective of the Triangle.
The one thing the Triangle has on us (IMO) is MUCH better restaurant choices for non-chain, non-expense account types of places (as long as you can drive to them).

^ the restaurant bit!! Charlotte needs more variety! It’s not too bad now but could be better.
  • Like 1

On 3/25/2023 at 6:39 PM, kermit said:

I found the very pro-development / pro-change attitudes so common in Charlotte to be a really refreshing change from the 'we gotta keep our college town a tiny college town forever' perspective of the Triangle.

Chapel Hill is certainly an offender in this regard. There's a ring of retail just over the border since they don't want to approve filthy, dirty retail within their borders. Which is why you have, for example, the Walmart on 15-501 in Chatham County is literally 500 feet from the county line. Or the large shopping centers on the other side of 15-501 about 500 feet into Durham County. Or Southpoint Mall just two miles into Durham County. Not that Walmart is something to aspire to but a while back I had a real estate professor who owned a shopping center in Chapel Hill who loved it because the town's antipathy for retail meant he could charge higher rents.

That said the development seems to have changed up somewhat in the last few years--there's more high-density residential (think beige Southend apartment buildings) than there used to be. But a lot of it's scattershot and not really being done within the context of an urban framework.

• Like 2

On 3/25/2023 at 4:29 PM, JeanClt said:

No…depends on where you go. Raleigh is…I think noticeably a smaller feel. Roads are surprisingly crappier there than Charlotte considering how close we are to South Carolina…(just overall from where I’ve driven around in Raleigh). You might even think at some points it reminds you of Charlotte in certain areas. Rolling hills and many trees. I wouldn’t say more cleaned up either. Maybe in the suburbs? The roads are a grayish color like you see near the coastal towns. It’s interesting considering its geographical location. Definitely has a more sprawl. But the data also shows more density too. Their extensive park and greenway system makes it walkable/bike friendly though I’ve never lived there. Walkscore (don’t know the accuracy or validity of their scoring system) ranks it higher than Charlotte. Surprising. Anecdotally feels just as hard to walk there with pockets of walkable areas. Might just be the areas I have frequented.

If you subtract the massive airport and all of the land within its noise buffer that is hardly developed what so ever, it tips the scales back to Charlotte. Then take into account the much larger manufacturing and industrial concentration and you tip the scales even further. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, CLT Development said:

I watched a woman climb a 3 story pole and hang from the ceiling in Cleveland at a bachelor party years ago, so I'm sure 13 floors would be a hell of a spectacle. 

We try to be more progressive than just envisioning women on 13 story poles here, hence the pictures of those burly construction workers hanging off the crane earlier… AND THIS IS ALL BLUE FONT (But I’m an elder millennial who’s thumbing on his Tim Cook phone and who’s time is money, so no blue font for you)…

• Like 2
  • Haha 1