Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

Just got this info in an email from DCDA. I'm glad they are saving this corner!

Dilworth Announces Huge Victory in Protecting Historic Borders!

Preservation North Carolina (PNC), our state non-profit preservation organization, has placed two extremely vulnerable Dilworth properties under contract: 329 E. Worthington Avenue and 1818 Euclid Avenue. By purchasing these properties, PNC has assisted Dilworth in gaining a preservation stronghold on a very critical corner/border of the Historic District.

This area of Dilworth has been infiltrated with recent development, thereby compromising Dilworth's Historic Designation. The purchase of these two properties marks a line in the sand and allows Dilworth a stronghold along this very vulnerable border.

Without this strategic purchase, Dilworth undoubtedly would have lost two more contributing structures and allowed the multi-family development community further encroachment into the Historic District. Preservation North Carolina recognized the compromised state of our Historic borders, and acted immediately to protect our historic designation.

Ugh.....what a useless waste of money. The properties on the west side of Euclide SHOULD be multi-family...2 blocks from a LRT station no less. Borders are protected by proper zoning. I see nothing distinguishing about these properties to set the apart from any other house on Worthington. I know the one on Euclid is in relatively poor condition and has been a rental for year and years.

That said, this block of Worthington does have some nice single-family homes, but so does the rest of the street and so does Tremont and Kingston. I don't see that this is the right area to be making a stand.

By the way, what does Preservation NC do with these homes? Are they going to rent them to families? Make a museum? Let them sit empty and rot just in the name of preventing development?

From what the email states the goal is to resell these homes with preservation covenants attached. They are raising money now to repay PNC's expenses from buying the homes to hold them. I live behind Worthington and overall it's a beautiful street of single family homes....from Euclid to Kenilworth that is. Upper Worthington is already a mix of restaurants, a gallery,stores, and offices. I think these homes could have been redeveloped into attractive townhomes. But the DCDA is hypersensitive to any multi-family development along it's borders and I think they jumped at this to prevent a repeat of the condo projects going in one block down along Tremont.

"PNC will hold these properties until they can be sold with protective covenants" and they are asking Dilworth residents to donate money to help offset expenses in the meantime.

I am not sure what the protective convenants are, but I do wonder why they felt the need to actually buy these properties instead of just controlling the development through the Historic District and zoning rules.

Either way, I like the fact that PNC/DCDA will have control over what will be going on that block. The fact that the LRT station is so close seems like all the more reason to watch out for the area getting over-developed and ruining that edge of Dilworth. I do think multi-family development on the West side of Euclid is appropriate, but I would like to see a smooth transition between the single-family and multi-family areas. I just hope the covenants aren't so strict that these properties just sit there un-touched for years.

I've been a little involved in this -- PNC contacted me about looking at the property values as a development, as homes, as restricted. They are buying them because only an owner can add deed restrictions to a property. They did this because they feel that larger developments are slowly but surely encroaching further into the neighborhood and they want Euclid Avenue to become a buffer and an end line for development. Whether that will work is yet to be seen, but they have a small victory here. I have no opinion on whether this should or should not be done, by the way.

By the way, what does Preservation NC do with these homes? Are they going to rent them to families? Make a museum? Let them sit empty and rot just in the name of preventing development?

Restrict and resell only. As far as I know, and am pretty sure, no improvements.

Interesting....I also wonder what the covenants mean. I'm guessing something that will keep them as single-family residences. Certainly PNC wouldn't buy a property with the idea that it could be demolished in the future.

I agree with Voyager, that this would be the perfect spot for townhomes to transition between higher density commercial development and stacked-flats closer to tryon, and the single-family nature of the rest of the street. Now, I feel the likely outcome will be that interior properties of that block, 321, 325, etc. will be redeveloped into higher density, and have these single family homes on the corner is going to ruin the visual transition.

Does anyone know how PNC got involved in this deal? Was it as the bequest of DCDA? What are they asking for donations for? To cover the carrying cost? To provide renovations? To become equity investors in this misguided attempt to maintain status quo? Sorry for the negativity, but I can't understand the motivation here for PNC. Why save two properties that arguably should be redeveloped? If they want to f**k with progress, they should have bought the house on Lexington Ave that was finally purchased last year by CHS. It was a 100+ year old house razed for an expansion of their parking lot. Now THAT would have pissed off an institution much more harmful to the neighborhood than a multi-family developer.

Whether one agrees or disagrees with DCDA/PNC's actions I do applaud them for creating a solid partnership and achieving their goals. Pulling off these purchases was not easy I am sure even in an affluent neighborhood. If only the city was as focused and less dithering with their affordable housing plans .....

Interesting....I also wonder what the covenants mean. I'm guessing something that will keep them as single-family residences. Certainly PNC wouldn't buy a property with the idea that it could be demolished in the future.

I agree with Voyager, that this would be the perfect spot for townhomes to transition between higher density commercial development and stacked-flats closer to tryon, and the single-family nature of the rest of the street. Now, I feel the likely outcome will be that interior properties of that block, 321, 325, etc. will be redeveloped into higher density, and have these single family homes on the corner is going to ruin the visual transition.

Does anyone know how PNC got involved in this deal? Was it as the bequest of DCDA? What are they asking for donations for? To cover the carrying cost? To provide renovations? To become equity investors in this misguided attempt to maintain status quo? Sorry for the negativity, but I can't understand the motivation here for PNC. Why save two properties that arguably should be redeveloped? If they want to f**k with progress, they should have bought the house on Lexington Ave that was finally purchased last year by CHS. It was a 100+ year old house razed for an expansion of their parking lot. Now THAT would have pissed off an institution much more harmful to the neighborhood than a multi-family developer.

I don't know how they got involved. They are asking for donations, you are going to love this since you don't like the whole plan overall, to cover the fact that they are buying these at a price that will make them difficult to resell without a pretty decent loss. The donations are being requested to cover that loss with the resale.

The covenants will, somehow -- i don't know exactly -- I'm not an attorney, be put in place to preserve these as single family residences.

They are asking for donations................... to cover the fact that they are buying these at a price that will make them difficult to resell without a pretty decent loss. The donations are being requested to cover that loss with the resale.

Sigh <_<:rolleyes:

Speaking of this area, has The Tremont started construction yet? Any word on the proposed 2nd phase? Also, has Heath started site work for the really sexy project at the corner of Worthington and Cleveland?

Also, it appears there is a rezoning application for the single-family homes turned offices on Euclid between Tremont and McDonald. I believe one of the houses has been used as a pet groomers. Anyway, it looks like from the site plan, that it will be a condo project. Any renderings out there, anyone know who the developer is?

Sigh <_<:rolleyes:

Speaking of this area, has The Tremont started construction yet? Any word on the proposed 2nd phase? Also, has Heath started site work for the really sexy project at the corner of Worthington and Cleveland?

Also, it appears there is a rezoning application for the single-family homes turned offices on Euclid between Tremont and McDonald. I believe one of the houses has been used as a pet groomers. Anyway, it looks like from the site plan, that it will be a condo project. Any renderings out there, anyone know who the developer is?

So many questions...

Tremont site work is done, looks like actual construction should start any day. I don't think phase 2 is happening.

No work done yet on the Heath site that I can tell.

The row of homes along Euclid between Tremont and McDonald have been bought by a new development team -- they are working through plans and either have or will submit soon a rezoning petition. Part of the site is in the historic district so they are working through that as well. I actually think their intentions are to assemble, design, rezone, and sell the project to a developer.

I was surprised to see that Longhorn has vacated their location at Euclid&Morehead and the space is up for lease. I never went there but the lot always seemed packed during rush hour. It would be great if a locally owned quirky eatery took over the spot but I imagine the rent there must be very high and a chain replacement seems more likely to me. The remaining units at 1315 East must really not be moving if they promoting a "designer gallery" in one of their condos. The whole event is a sales ploy along the lines of the play that was staged there last winter, which sales gimmick or not I found to be a novel idea.

I was surprised to see that Longhorn has vacated their location at Euclid&Morehead and the space is up for lease. I never went there but the lot always seemed packed during rush hour. It would be great if a locally owned quirky eatery took over the spot but I imagine the rent there must be very high and a chain replacement seems more likely to me. The remaining units at 1315 East must really not be moving if they promoting a "designer gallery" in one of their condos. The whole event is a sales ploy along the lines of the play that was staged there last winter, which sales gimmick or not I found to be a novel idea.
Kinda sad. That was the very first Longhorn, period.

The Longhorn spot will become a Panera Bread (according to rumor)

Another Panera! Good Grief :stop: already. I usually take my laptop to lunch at Just Fresh on East but Panera will also have free WiFi so that will be nice..it just would have been cool for something unique to pop in there. And how the heck do you know all these things Atlvr? You must have quite a network :shades:

That was the first one in Charlotte or the first one period?

I'm glad it is turning into something else. The only time I ever went in there was on their last day open. We sat down, saw the prices, and walked out. I felt bad, but most of their prices were pretty high for a chain restaurant.

I'm ecstatic that it is Panera. There aren't very many Paneras in Charlotte, and as far as chains go, it is pretty decent.

regarding 1315 my wife and i really liked the condos - some had great layouts and all were reasonably priced. We havent purchased anything for various reasons but 1315 is really at the top of the list. that is an area that should see a real increase of value and its in a great area. im really shocked they are still available.

• 3 weeks later...