Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

The funny part about these type of landowners (typically family land like this situation) is they want to sit on their land as it appreciates, but they could sell, reinvest, and make so much more than they are now. I always love dealing with "smart" investors that never let go of anything.

My thoughts exactly. Talk about ten years of lost opportunity! It's their land and they can leave it vacant forever, but it makes me a little sick when people are blinded by their fear of losing control.

For the (very) long term, the worst thing that could happen is a poorly designed, distasteful condo development. With bad retail, office or apartments, redevelopment is an option (limited # of parites involved in a transaction); but with big condo developments it's virtually impossible to acquire all the interest required to tear down and rebuild. Condos are forever.

Thanks to everyone that enlightened me on the history of that corner.

maybe we should organize a UP guerilla flea/craft/farmers-market at this Epicurean lot (under the cover of nightfall :shades: ??) every weekend, just to force some lively use out of the property!... at least until they come kick us out.

They have minor use there, their sign onsite says if you like Epicurean's old bisquits you can call the number and git some. I suppose there might be someone out there who misses the random bisquit from a restaurant that has been closed for over a decade. Someone. Somewhere.

That helps offset those property taxes I guess...

• 2 weeks later...

Jaimama along East seems to have closed. I never made it there. I heard it was at best mediocre. Aside from longtime stalwarts it seems tough to be a successful restaurant along East Blvd. In other Dilworth news....I can't believe Greekfest is almost here again! While the event is fun the parking deluge is unreal and seems to get worse every year. If I time it right I can usually get out in the morning and come back late enough in the evening to find a spot. Some Dilworth residents complain a great deal about it but it's only once a year and the festival has become a local institution so it's not worth grumbling too much about. I do worry how easily fire trucks could get up Worthington it gets so slammed with cars along that stretch. It's a nice gesture for the church to give free tickets to people that live along Worthington since they are captive festival goers.

Edited by voyager12

Jaimama along East seems to have closed. I never made it there. I heard it was at best mediocre. Aside from longtime stalwarts it seems tough to be a successful restaurant along East Blvd. In other Dilworth news....I can't believe Greekfest is almost here again! While the event is fun the parking deluge is unreal and seems to get worse every year. If I time it right I can usually get out in the morning and come back late enough in the evening to find a spot. Some Dilworth residents complain a great deal about it but it's only once a year and the festival has become a local institution so it's not worth grumbling too much about. I do worry how easily fire trucks could get up Worthington it gets so slammed with cars along that stretch. It's a nice gesture for the church to give free tickets to people that live along Worthington since they are captive festival goers.

A couple of points -- Jaimama was open sporatically and the food was mediocre at best. People went there consistantly at first, then they closed to go on vacation (??, really, they completely closed), and were never open consistent hours since. The other restaurants I've seen come and go in Dilworth have always been those with little identity or those that have the same ol' boring somewhat expensive, nothing to write home about menu. My favorite part of living off East was the variety that DID work: japanese i, Cantina, Sole (my favorite for a long time), 300 East, etc. Hit the right concept and this is a fertile field for a restaurant -- assume you can just *built it and they will come* and you'll get drowned out by the great competition.

Edit: just realized I left out Kabab Grill and Zen...would be a travesty to not give them their props.

As for Greek Fest, when I lived on Tremont some neighbors complained but they all had lived in Dilworth for a shorter time than the fest has been going on. Same with my neighbors off East that complained about Festival in the Park traffic. I've always wondered about people that move to a place where *something* has been going on for years, but after they arrive it is an inconvenience.

Edited by Charlotte_native

i went to to Jaimama twice, and i'm surprised they lasted as long as they did....food was below average and service was terrible. It was a good use of space, and I hope another restaurant is able to do well. It lends itself to Tex-Mex, but with Sole and Cantina already right there, that concept might have a hard time defining a separate niche.

Jaimama along East seems to have closed. I never made it there. I heard it was at best mediocre. Aside from longtime stalwarts it seems tough to be a successful restaurant along East Blvd.

The owner of Cantina and Mama Ricotta's will be opening a new restaurant where Jaimama was located. It will be called "Big Daddy's Burger Bar"......mmmmmm...sounds like large, flame broiled, and delicious :)

The owner of Cantina and Mama Ricotta's will be opening a new restaurant where Jaimama was located. It will be called "Big Daddy's Burger Bar"......mmmmmm...sounds like large, flame broiled, and delicious :)

FANTASTIC! Glad to see another neighborhood oriented place and not just another higher end restaurant.

In further restaurant news, it looks like a place called 131 Main will be taking over the Patou spot. 131 Main apparantly already has locations at Lake Norman and far-south Charlotte.

I've been to 131 Main off Ardrey Kell Road several times. Exceptionally good food, reasonable prices, and that space will work well for them. It's about the same size as their stand alone restaurants. It will be a good addition to the dining options in Dilworth.

All of this is good news for the neighborhood I just hope 131 Main has a better game plan then Red Star and Patou had to make that spot work. I think the burger place will do very well. There needs to be a mix of moderately priced restaurants along East Blvd and not just higher end as Charlotte Native said. Moe's does great business and I think Big Daddy's will draw from the same crowd and be successful.

Edited by voyager12

If it's by the same owners, I have a feeling we won't be seeing a failure. Both restaurants are extremely successful and these people seem to know what they are doing.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Dilworth Walk has turned out to be rather underwhelming. The renderings certainly looked more attractive than the actual product. In my opinion it just continues the corridor of high density mediocrity that Kenilworth has become. None of the newer complexes have added anything positive to Dilworth. They all look like bland lifeless college dorms to me. In other neighborhood news...the latest Dilworth Quarterly reports that the vacant spot across from the Greek Orthodox Church where the old apt building burned will replaced by offices that will replicate the previous structure's style.