Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

The DCDA has sent several urgent emails this week decrying a rezoning request by Boulevard Centro. Apparently they are looking to demolish three homes at Euclid and Tremont for a 52 unit condo project. There was supposed to be a hearing last night to decide if it was going to be allowed to move forward. There is no mention in today's O. The DCDA's main bone of contention focuses on the fact the current proposal exceeds the Dilworth Small Area Plan Guidelines. They spent months and months crafting this document through consultation with the city. They feel quite betrayed that their work is then ignored and not adhered to. What's the point of having a historical district and guidelines if they are never followed? Dilworth's historical district status could be removed if these encroachments continue to be allowed. DCDA does not oppose TOD they just want the boundaries between the older neighborhood and high density condo strip respected.

Edited by voyager12

The problem is the price the owner wants for the land. I've run a couple of models, and it would be impossible to keep the existing apartment building and the most historic of the houses for what the owner wants. A 10% price reduction would make it an outside possibility to save the existing, and build low enough density that it would meet the guidelines of the neighborhood plan.

I noticed today that a new restaurant called 310 Main is hiring and will be opening soon. It's directly across from the Epicurean lot. Also saw that there is a Super Suppers in the same building. I believe that's where you can go and prepare a weeks worth of meals, bag them, freeze them, then thaw and cook when needed. Those places seem to always do well.

I noticed today that a new restaurant called 310 Main is hiring and will be opening soon. It's directly across from the Epicurean lot. Also saw that there is a Super Suppers in the same building. I believe that's where you can go and prepare a weeks worth of meals, bag them, freeze them, then thaw and cook when needed. Those places seem to always do well.

Yea super suppers is pretty neat, they've been open for a little over a year now. 131 Main is new only to the location, there is also a location at Blakeney, aka Ballantyne 2. Its a pretty good restaurant, but they are quite bold to move to that doomed location.

Edited by 83alphaunder

^Yes, Red Star and then Patou.

Both of those really had other problems, but the dynamics of that space weren't helping, that's for sure. Parking is not obvious for people familiar only with flat, open parking lots, and there hasn't been enough going on in the immediate vicinity for there to be a general draw. Low foot traffic, large restaurant to fill. All of that spelled trouble for the location. What I've heard about 310 Main makes it sound like it could be a good fit for the neighborhood in general, but if their patrons get confused about parking they'll be in trouble. At least until this is a mostly pedestrian oriented business.

There are lots of good restaurants in town. It's not suprising to me when one with a strikes against it from the start fails.

This is totally unsubstantiated gossip ( so don't talk to me because I don't GOSSIP :lol: remember that classic line from "In Living Color"? I am dating myself with that old show reference) but I heard that high levels of radon were recently detected in both condo buildings that comprise 1315 East. It was only detected when a new homeowner had his or her unit swept. Some say that the marketing company knew the whole time and did not tell prospective buyers. There have apparently been several rather contentious homeowners meetings. They are allegedly determining whether some people may have to move out. Finally all of this may be completely false :huh:

Edited by voyager12

^ Is radon that big of a deal, and monetarily so for a corporate owner? We had the problem in our home, cost around $1100 to have taken care of, no small chunk of change of course, but did not seem worthy of quarantine/condemning a property.

v I can imagine the level being worse, just surprised that the removal process is not similar since it is a gas. Then again I was not around to harass the guys with questions when it happened to us...

Edited by nowensone

I wondered about that too. Perhaps there is a level at which it becomes more hazardous. And these are more confined spaces. Not sure. The commercial spaces on the ground level are not supposed to be affected.

There is a level, 4.0 picos per something or other (not a scientist!).

It would most likely affect ground level units, including the commercial spaces, but it is fairly easy to remediate -- easy, though it might be expensive.

Radon is a result of radioactive decomposition (of something, can't remember what). It seeps out of the ground and is present most everywhere, but especially in clay based soils. It isn't a problem unless it builds up -- that is when it becomes a long-term health hazard. Today's homes are far more insulated and air-tight than those in the past which is why radon has become a problem for some properties. Since much of Latta sits slightly below grade (on the lower levels) it wouldn't surprise me if radon were found. All they have to do (though it would be more difficult in acutal living space such as the lower level condos than it is in crawl spaces or basements) is create an outlet for the gas to get outside rather than build up inside the property. It is more difficult to deal with for a building or home on a slab since there is now air space under the property or as part of the foundation.

IF the developer knew about this it would be a very big deal if they hid the fact, but I'm not sure if they could have until after the property was built and in place for a while. I doubt they did testing on their own, though perhaps they did.

Big Daddy's Burger Bar seems to be moving right along and is currently hiring. Scratch my earlier post about thinking Vidalia&Grapes was having a second coming. The name was simply exposed after Jaimama removed their name DUH ME :blink: Daddy's should be successful and appeal to the same market as Moes and Brixx. About the plans for across the street...has the condo plan fallen through and CMC then moved in for an expansion? I hope E Blvd Bar&Grill can find a nearby location. Once they start demolishing that block it will make hanging out at Caribou/Brueggers not very pleasant with all that bangin and clangin. I guess this time of year there won't be that many people sitting outside. Although CMC seems to move at glacial bureacratic pace in regards to development. They seem to be assembling these properties rapidly but I don't think dirt is going to be turned very soon.

Edited by voyager12

Big Daddy's Burger Bar seems to be moving right along and is currently hiring. Scratch my earlier post about thinking Vidalia&Grapes was having a second coming. The name was simply exposed after Jaimama removed their name DUH ME :blink: Daddy's should be successful and appeal to the same market as Moes and Brixx. About the plans for across the street...has the condo plan fallen through and CMC then moved in for an expansion? I hope E Blvd Bar&Grill can find a nearby location. Once they start demolishing that block it will make hanging out at Caribou/Brueggers not very pleasant with all that bangin and clangin. I guess this time of year there won't be that many people sitting outside. Although CMC seems to move at glacial bureacratic pace in regards to development. They seem to be assembling these properties rapidly but I don't think dirt is going to be turned very soon.

Not sure what is happening on the block with East Blvd Bar and Grill. Tax records show the corner at the other end, Lombardy and East, has had two sales. The brick apartments as well as the brick white office building -- they sold for a whopping $2mil and $1.8mil (rounded) each!!

It's a shame the old brick apt building has to go. I think the old mellowed collegiate appearance fits in well with the overall block. And it's also another affordable rental option gone in Dilworth.

I really like that building as well -- hate to see it go over anything else on the block. It did have one main issue (not that it should be torn down because of it) in that it has NO parking at all. Residents have to park on the street or find parking -- it was a constant issue with local business owners.

I have noticed an interesting mini-trend here in Dilworth. I heard from a pretty reliable neighbor source that the old brick apt house at Magnolia and Park was bought by a family that sold their prior Dilworth home down the street. They are converting the old plex into a single family home. Recently I went down Ewing Ave on my way home and noticed the old quad on that block seems to be undergoing the same treatment. Interesting concept.... both places will definitely offer lots of space for expanding young families.

I have noticed an interesting mini-trend here in Dilworth. I heard from a pretty reliable neighbor source that the old brick apt house at Magnolia and Park was bought by a family that sold their prior Dilworth home down the street. They are converting the old plex into a single family home. Recently I went down Ewing Ave on my way home and noticed the old quad on that block seems to be undergoing the same treatment. Interesting concept.... both places will definitely offer lots of space for expanding young families.

There is a big (4500 SF) duplex on the corner of Dilworth Road East and Isleworth being converted to Single Family as well. I didn't know that about the Park / Magnolia propert but I have been watching the construction.

I hope that trend does not continue too much. Those duplexes add density with minimal impact, and if it is a big trend, then population and density will actual decrease, which is not a good thing. It creates a very large home that is extremely inefficient.

It is interesting for a couple of cases, but a larger trend to do this would be a negative for the neighborhood.

(slightly :offtopic: )

FWIW, there's another example of this next to 4th Ward Park (the 8th St. side next to the little round fountain) where a family bought an 8-unit apartment and converted it into a single-family home. The end result is very attractive, and one of only a few multi-child families in the Ward. But, obviously, it means there are 7 fewer rentable units on that site.

There are no 8 unit apartments near that fountain. The Renegars house faces it directly, The house Bruce Keith built(brick) had an efficiency over the garage and behind that is a 6+/- unit condo building... across 8th is the pink house, the condo's , and a duplex(condo), more condos(3) and a four plex... Where is this supposed to have occured?

Mostly curious.

• 2 weeks later...

I have some rather good news to report. East Blvd. Grill and Bar have signed an additional 1 year lease on their land even though the land has been purchased by CMC, while the developer figures out exactly what to do. The owner is looking at alternative places to move to incase they have to move in a year, but said they will stay in Dilworth and are looking to not move out of the immediate area. Also, the developers are still considering and looking at a way of preserving the building so that EBG wouldn't have to move at all, but aren't any promises either way yet on that.

I have some rather good news to report. East Blvd. Grill and Bar have signed an additional 1 year lease on their land even though the land has been purchased by CMC, while the developer figures out exactly what to do. The owner is looking at alternative places to move to incase they have to move in a year, but said they will stay in Dilworth and are looking to not move out of the immediate area. Also, the developers are still considering and looking at a way of preserving the building so that EBG wouldn't have to move at all, but aren't any promises either way yet on that.

This is great news. Not completely surprised. We've all seen how slow developers can work, and with a massive client like CMC I wouldn't expect them to move very quickly on anything (though I would have suspected they had plans already before purchasing).