Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

^I still say the problem with places like Patou and others that have tried this spot and others in Dilworth and failed is the price point. Business and restaurant owners seem to look at Dilworth based on the average income of the residents and think it is a gold mine and prices will be accepted that are high. They forget (I lived in Dilworth from 1998 until this year) that it is still a neighborhood and residents don't go out for high priced food every night, probably only as often as any other typical person or family. Restaurants I've seen do well in Dilworth have a mixed menu with affordable food as well as higher priced items (actually some are just affordable). I've watched so many high-end restaurants open and close on East I can't remember most of their names, yet 300 East, Picasso's, Cantina, Sole, Showmars, Moe's, Kebab Grille, East Blvd Bar & Grill, Thai Taste all have booming business and have never had troubles. They also have less expensive food or less expensive options. Neighborhood oriented places do well, higher priced places don't.

Nothing personal against higher-end restaurants, they just aren't the type of place you eat at once or twice a week. They are depending too much on destination diners -- that is tough, especially if you aren't downtown or in Southpark. Both of those areas have other things people are willing to drive to -- shopping, movies, etc. Dilworth, for the most part, doesn't. Most diners in Dilworth are pretty local to the area.

I contend that any place that has a menu that ranges from $6.00 as a low end to anywhere at the high end will do just fine as long as the food is just decent. If your starting price is at or over $15.00 you'll not draw many regulars that will support your business more than once or twice a month.

personal opinion aside I also hope that 131 finds it's niche and does well. We need thriving businesses in Uptown Dilworth

That also brings to mind...what kind of food is 131? I'm asking honestly because I don't know and the name doesn't help. If you think about the places on East that do well, they definitely have a niche and do it well. Whether it is Spanish, Mediterranean, sports bar food, or whatever, they have a niche and aren't just random food (other than City Tavern). Just curious -- what is the niche for 131?

From what I can tell driving by daily 131 does a very good business lunch and their bar seems to be quite popular after 5. I am glad they reintroduced outdoor dining. Their food is bistro style similar but not any better than City Tavern which I also think is quite average. However, City Tavern has popular rooftop dining, has garned a reputation as a good mingling spot for singles and has clearly visible parking. Parking seemed to be the major achilles heel for prior operations. Patou also had valet and still failed.

Edited by voyager12

Wow. That is a big change in styles from what was presented to City Council. This is very modern looking whereas what was presented to City Council was much more traditional "brick/warehouse" style. I'm a little surprised that DCDA opted to go with this modern style.

It's possible that it was modified....this was from the architects website, so it could have been an earlier concept. While I like modern for this location, this already looks dated in my opinion.

^ Is this a CMC project or a medical office building built by a private developer?

Seems like CMC might have the money to bury utilities ...

Those are the high-tension wires that run along that corridor. I'm not sure they can bury those- at least not as easily as regular lines.

I read something interesting in the online version of The Dilworth Quarterly yesterday. There is an upcoming proposal for a hotel near East&South. To wit: five story 76 room hotel to the right of the McColl gallery where LoobyLoo's used to be, the site currently houses The Christian Scientist Reading Room and a lighting store. The developer owns one of the buildings and has his offices there. DQ also mentions a "turret" is involved with sarcasm. Actually, this entire edition was full of the usual "the city hates Dilworth, and they trying to destroy our paradise fight fight fight" I agree with some of the DCDA's decisions but their hostile stance is getting old. Lick the wounds and heal already! I like the idea of a nice hotel in that area, it's a good fit with the surrounding shops, restaurants and East/West Station. The current buildings there are considered historic and I think they add a lot of character to that stretch of East. I hope they can be incorporated somehow if this project moves forward. Also, HT is angling to buy the empty land abutting their store along Kenilworth. It was the site of the "kenilworth" but it fell through. They want to use it for extra employee parking. Makes sense to me. That lot is a congested pain.

Edited by voyager12

I read something interesting in the online version of The Dilworth Quarterly yesterday. There is an upcoming proposal for a hotel near East&South. To wit: five story 76 room hotel to the right of the McColl gallery where LoobyLoo's used to be, the site currently houses The Christian Scientist Reading Room and a lighting store. The developer owns one of the buildings and has his offices there. DQ also mentions a "turret" is involved with sarcasm. Actually, this entire edition was full of the usual "the city hates Dilworth, and they trying to destroy our paradise fight fight fight" I agree with some of the DCDA's decisions but their hostile stance is getting old. Lick the wounds and heal already! I like the idea of a nice hotel in that area, it's a good fit with the surrounding shops, restaurants and East/West Station. The current buildings there are considered historic and I think they add a lot of character to that stretch of East. I hope they can be incorporated somehow if this project moves forward. Also, HT is angling to buy the empty land abutting their store along Kenilworth. It was the site of the "kenilworth" but it fell through. They want to use it for extra employee parking. Makes sense to me. That lot is a congested pain.

Are you saying they are opposed to a hotel being built there? If so that is really cementing my thoughts that the DCDA is no longer worth listening to. I think a small hotel on this busy road near a busy intersection is a GREAT idea. When I lived in Dilworth and had relatives come visit the closest they could stay if not at our house was in Uptown or Southpark. It seems the new attitude for a few in Dilworth who are the most vocal is oppose everything all the time. I've said before, you can't think a neighborhood will remain a picture in time. I'm fully supportive of most (95%) of the neighborhood being protected from any major changes, but along East, Kenilworth, South, Park things like this are completely appropriate. Funny thing, that old building across from 300 East that i think you are talking about...used to be a boarding house and hotel!!

DCDA has howled so many times now that no one listens any more.

Well....I'd be nervous, except for a different reason. I assume the developer pitching it is Stephen Barker. Trying to be delicate, but I could see how a EIFS, with plaster molded "rocks", turret could be part of his plans and I would be.....umm, cautious, about endorsing his plans. Not to say a hotel wouldn't be a good use for that site, it would, but I would want to see some pretty concrete guidelines as to what was built before I'd support it.

Thesed are the buildings in question that would be demoed.

P5102850.JPG

P5102823.JPG

The first building is truly historic (1900), but the second (attached to the first via breezeway) is from Charlotte's faux-Victorian period of the late 1980's.

Well....I'd be nervous, except for a different reason. I assume the developer pitching it is Stephen Barker. Trying to be delicate, but I could see how a EIFS, with plaster molded "rocks", turret could be part of his plans and I would be.....umm, cautious, about endorsing his plans. Not to say a hotel wouldn't be a good use for that site, it would, but I would want to see some pretty concrete guidelines as to what was built before I'd support it.

Thesed are the buildings in question that would be demoed.

P5102850.JPG

P5102823.JPG

The first building is truly historic (1900), but the second (attached to the first via breezeway) is from Charlotte's faux-Victorian period of the late 1980's.

Are these in the Historic District? If so your worries will be mitigated by their guidelines, otherwise who knows what they will throw up on that site. My opinion is this: a hotel, small, would be good in this area IF the design and materials are consistent with the area. I'd love for it to be a boutique hotel with a cool restaurant and/or bar.

According to the DCDA these structures are in the historic district so they will go under more detailed review.

Last week there was an attempted mugging along Worthington and Dilworth Road W. A group of residents were walking home from dinner along East Blvd and were approached. This did not occur late at night. The police have not released many more details. But add this to the growing pile of robberies and muggings happening in Dilworth quite regularly these days, in the early evenings and broad daylight mostly. This latest incident has spooked a lot of neighbors and a Crime Meeting to discuss options is being held at 7:30 on Monday at The Tom Sykes Center on Euclid Dr. Use E. Park Ave, door with the blue canopy. Private security patrols have been bandied about as a possible option and a Crime Watch. It's been pointed out there there's "crime watch"in place already. But it's only effective if people "watch". I am a homebody and am always peeking out the window and being a nosy neighbor.

Edited by voyager12

Well, concrete shake siding as opposed to EIFS....I actually had to look up what GFRC was (for the columns and cornice work) and see that it really isn't much of an upgrade over EIFS, so perhaps they are still taking the cheapest way out as allowed by HDC guidelines.

I do appreciate the scalloped accents in the roof, if we must be subjected to a quasi-Victorian design.

I like the turret! It adds a touch of whimsy. Dilworth/Southend is sorely lacking a nice hotel. The site is in an established commercial district. This could be a good alternative for people that want to stay in the city but prefer a quieter atmosphere than Uptown. There are several good restaurants on the block and easy access to light rail.

Edited by voyager12