Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

Don't worry you aren't the only one... when I take someone new through uptown and surrounding areas... I fill their heads with all the new projects that just about to happen. Its kinda funny actually

Is this forum court-ordered group therapy for project addiction? I do that one, too. :)

Edited by dubone

The worst part about knowing about a project is waiting for them to break ground......I get obsessed to the point that some projects that I expect to break ground any day I will drive by twice a day.......

Sorry, just thought I would share that strange obsession.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm in the same boat! :whistling:

I love it!

• 4 weeks later...

That was the former lamplighter site. It is being developed as a 38,000 square foot office building (originally proposed to be 6 stories in the rezoning). It will be the future home of the law firm Johnson, Allison & Hord.

I wish that the Lamplighter could have been saved, but apparantly is was in bad shape. More disappointingly is that the Children's Theatre a few block away will be demolished after they move into the ImaginOn to make way for an office building there as well.........booooo

• 2 months later...

That's correct, though most of that plan has gone out the window......still, I'm counting on them building us a decent downtown post office.

I agree that CMS owns so many buildings around the city that they could easily renovate one to fit their needs......and sell their current building and land in 2nd Ward to cover the cost, and probably even make some money.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks atlrvr. Hey, one more question for ya...

(not to get too far from topic)

What's the deal with the Epicurean Shops next to Blockbuster on East. Are they ever going to develop that??? I would think developers would be very eager to have such a nice size parcel of land on East Blvd (where it seems a lot of residential is already happening). On another side note, when is the Red Star Tavern space going to announce a tenent. I still can't believe that they shut down. :( Thursday nights there always seemed great.

Thanks atlrvr. Hey, one more question for ya...

(not to get too far from topic)

What's the deal with the Epicurean Shops next to Blockbuster on East. Are they ever going to develop that??? I would think developers would be very eager to have such a nice size parcel of land on East Blvd (where it seems a lot of residential is already happening). On another side note, when is the Red Star Tavern space going to announce a tenent. I still can't believe that they shut down.  :( Thursday nights there always seemed great.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Epicurean Shops isn't going to happen.....I assume at some point that the family who owns it will sell it off......ideally, whoever buys it will also buy the vacant ADT building behind it along Kenilworth.....also, the Blockbuster (but I doubt this is happening, though Blockbuster does hold a land-lease and does not own land)

I'm surprised that the Red Star space hasn't been leased, and I assume that the sticking point is that most restaurants want to subdivide the space, and Grubb probably is trying to find someone to take the entire space......it's a BIG restaurant.

The Epicurean Shops isn't going to happen.....I assume at some point that the family who owns it will sell it off......ideally, whoever buys it will also buy the vacant ADT building behind it along Kenilworth.....also, the Blockbuster (but I doubt this is happening, though Blockbuster does hold a land-lease and does not own land)

I'm surprised that the Red Star space hasn't been leased, and I assume that the sticking point is that most restaurants want to subdivide the space, and Grubb probably is trying to find someone to take the entire space......it's a BIG restaurant.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thanks again atlrvr. :thumbsup: That really sucks (excuse my french) that we have a family holding that site. I think it would be ideal for a nice mixed use development similar to the one right across the street with residential and retail on ground level. I actually went to Blockbuster the other day, and it really got to me how bad the lot looks. It needs to be better manicured. I think the city should have a rule making them keep their lot up, as it is in a highly desireable area of town that many people shop and dine at. It really sticks out like a sore thumb... :(

Edited by A219724

It would be nice at least if they would let the DCDA could go in and clean it up, plant some grass and add a flower bed or two and at least have a little open green or something in the interim. That wouldn't cost a lot of cash to build or maintain with volunteers donating plants (maybe even Lowes donating the plants and grass seed to the dcda ;) ) and neighbors volunteering to cut the grass on a schedule. They could have little things like Shag lessons on Friday nights or movies on the grass.

Edited by appatone

It would be nice at least if they would let the DCDA could go in and clean it up, plant some grass and add a flower bed or two and at least have a little open green or something in the interim.  That wouldn't cost a lot of cash to build or maintain with volunteers donating plants (maybe even Lowes donating the plants and grass seed to the dcda ;) ) and neighbors volunteering to cut the grass on a schedule.  They could have little things like Shag lessons on Friday nights or movies on the grass.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i'm really surprised that starbucks hasn't worked a deal to use it for customer parking until they do something. Parking at that starbucks is extremely limited, while there is an open parking lot with tons of space sitting idle behind a fence across the street. starbucks could easily justify maintaining it during that period of time.

i drove by the greenway at morehead the other day and there is already some heavy contstruction machinery there digging up the creekbed...so landscaping sounds about right for october.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, the heavy machinery is implementing some in stream improvements put forth by Buck Engineering and should be completed in the next month or so, but the creek won't be moving anywhere as far as horizontal alignment.

• 2 weeks later...

i wasn't sure where to put this, but as we discussed many other kenilworth/dilworth projects in this thread, i thought i'd put it here.

Does anyone know whether this project is moving forward?:

http://www.narmourwright.com/projects/html...head_street.htm

i found it on the narmourwright page. Currently, the structure on this corner of morehead/kenilworth is a very rundown dirty building with a nasty parking structure, a broken brick wall and metal fence. a new project with an attractive design like this would do wonders for that intersection, which a major entry point into the dilworth neighborhood.

My understanding of that project is that this was a proposal used to solicit the current property owner to sell, or partner for the redevelopment. The current property owner has little interest though in doing anything with the parcel......don't worry....he's getting pretty old.

My understanding of that project is that this was a proposal used to solicit the current property owner to sell, or partner for the redevelopment.  The current property owner has little interest though in doing anything with the parcel......don't worry....he's getting pretty old.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

darn, i was hoping it would be closer to a reality. I guess it is just a matter of time before k-worth and scott are dense from Park Ave to Baxter, so that building will be replaced eventually.

I don't have a rendering to share, but the project is Summit Dilworth (likely to be renamed Camden Dilworth). It is an apartment community that will be 3 stories on Kenilworth, and 4 stories on Scott. The parking deck in the middle is supposed to have a roof-top patio/clubhouse and pool.

I haven't been by it lately to see how far along it is, but it was designed by Furman, so it will have that brick and hardiplank look with bump-out windows......it will be unmistakebly Furmanish.