Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

The architecture feels more "Myers Park" than "Dilworth". However from an urban design/pedestrian standpoint I hope this is the direction that Charlotte is going in. I would be more receptive to it if they would find a new home for the old house it would be replacing and if they could change the architecture to reflect more Dilworth. If they really want to stick with this architectural style then maybe they should look at a site on Providence or Selwyn Ave.

It's pretty tough to judge this project fairly at such an early stage. The style has pluses and does not seem all that different at first glance from The Carson McCuller House (Copper) across the street. There will be an intensive review process so hopefully the rough edges can be worked on.

After looking at all the renderings on the idilworth website I am going to take back my comment about how I hoped the Dilworth Inn was the direction that Charlotte was moving in for urban design. In fact now after looking at the site plan I hope this isn't the direction that Charlotte is moving in for urban design. They plan to put the driveway running parallel to the sidewalk along the front of the building. That means there will be a patch of asphalt that seperates the entire building from the sidewalk. I think they need to get rid of that and move the driveway to the side of the building and bring the building up closer to the sidewalk.

Also the architecture: I like the turret and it reminds me of other houses that have turrets in Dilworth....but the rest of the hotel is WAY too formal in a French Revival style. I think for Dilworth they need to go more of the Queen Anne route. Get rid of the window shutters.

That's not how I interpret the site plan....there is a curb cut on East, with the drive running perpendicular to East into the building where I assume there is structured parking....there seems to be some brick pavers in front of the building connecting to the sidewalk, and a porch with seating.

That's not how I interpret the site plan....there is a curb cut on East, with the drive running perpendicular to East into the building where I assume there is structured parking....there seems to be some brick pavers in front of the building connecting to the sidewalk, and a porch with seating.

In the 2nd rendering it shows a guest drop off which is parallel with East. It then connects with a perpendicular drive into underground parking. I agree with uptownliving -- not a good plan. The architecture doesn't bother me. I actually like it. So it looks a little "New Orleansy". It'll make a statement on East Blvd. It does seem to be a little tall compared to it's surrounds.

Ahh...gotcha....not sure what they site plan was prepared for, but the one that doesn't show the multiple curb cuts was the one submitted to the HDC last week, so I'm assuming they have already deleted that plan, and replaced it with the smaller pavered area as a drop off.

• 2 weeks later...

482-smithcol_1.standalone.prod_affiliate.57.JPG

Rendering of 727 E. Morehead St Featured in Doug Smiths Article. Seems that all of the problems that were brought up before were addressed. I think its a bland building but I like it as it is a good step towards what the "midtown" area might become in the upcoming years.

448-smithcol_3.standalone.prod_affiliate.57.JPG

The numbers seem to work for me, I wish 15,000 Sq feet of retail was 20,000 sq feet however.

Edited by Guest

From the color site plan, it looks like they are going to hardscape the area between the building and the sidewalk along Morehead....this would make me happy and satisfy my biggest complaint, assuming the two areas are flush.

As far as the architecture, it's not bad, not great. It works fine in that location, where something too edgy on a building of this scale would probably be out of place.

I kinda dig the pocket park acress Royal Ct., but it will work a lot better if the old Infinity Broadcasting studios ever get redeveloped into something that eliminates that sunken surface lot.

This isometric was posted on Charlotte.com. It's of the 727 E Morehead office tower. What's nice is the image is actually somewhat up-to-date. You can see all of the 277 relocation, where Wachovia and Catalyst have begun and where Royal Court is going and how dense that little area will indeed be.

103-smithcol_2.standalone.prod_affiliate.57.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone heard anything about City Tavern closing on East Boulevard? I saw a small blurb on charlotte.com about it.

Gourmet sandwiches and drinks are on the way -- more of a neighborhood joint. Voyager, great call, I've always felt that City Tavern did well in spite of itself -- mediocre food was the best I had there and at times what i had was horrible (one time there was something gritty like sand in their mashed potatoes). The bar scene and singles scene kept it alive as well as the rooftop deck.

David Furman (Centro CityWorks) has announced its next project. This is going at the site of the very controversial rezoning at the corner of Euclid and Tremont. It will be called TreHouse, and will be 52 units, mostly 1BRs priced from $140k for 500 sq. ft.

Here is the rendering, I believe looking East along Tremont.

post-1289-1207587902_thumb.jpg

Nothing earth shattering design wise, but the scale is appropriate. It's still too bad that DCDA just had to go their route of rejecting all iterations of this project, so that the older multi-family building on the site will now be demoed.

I suppose it will blend well with the townhomes across the street and The Tremont going up nearby. That stretch is so close to South Blvd and getting more dense so quickly I consider that Southend now and not Dilworth. I don't think the one story rental duplexes that exist now across the street from the Trehouse site are long for this earth either. They are old too and not fancy. But like my apt house they do provide truly affordable rentals in one of the most expensive neighborhoods in Charlotte. God forbid some affordable housing could be left in Dilworth.