Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

It is CMC. http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte.../28/story2.html

Cantina 1511 indicated that they'd move when their lease runs out or whatever.

It is primarily landbanking, but I have serious problems with this. The city wants East Blvd to be the heart of the neighborhood and is fixing it up to spur that further along, but here are very good businesses that are being forced out to make it a hospital.

Meanwhile, the hospital didn't even come close to building out the block they decimated next to Morehead and Kenilworth. If they are done with that block, then they did it extremely sloppily with a lot of wasted land. Then, consider that the area north of Morehead and around Harding Place behind Watermark is an area that could reasonably become part of the hospital and does not have many houses.

They say they don't want to get landlocked, but do they really want to wipe out everything around them?

Cantina is a fixture it will be sad to see it go along with others if plans go that far. There needs to be more balance here. Jeez. If everything from Fountain View south is going in the next few years, I hope I am not still living here to see it. God this makes me so mad, how typical for this town to ruin a walkable area that they are supposed to be promoting. Showmars, Sole, and Big Daddy's are not enough to offset this hit. Dilworth's appeal is going to seriously damaged I think.

Edited by voyager12

The Charlotte Womans Club building was purchase earlier this month, and already a demolition permit has been pulled...I guess it will be gone soon. Anyone know the owner? Is it Morehead Properties? I suspect we will see a bricky midrise. Based on the purchase price, probably in the 80k sq. ft. range.

This is the building.

AQ115724.JPG

I thought I had noticed a sign on the corner of Morehead & Kennilworth. Now the rezoning petition comes in from Planet 5, LLC. The only Planet 5 I could find was out of Florida and looks to do horrible suburban condos buildings. But the mockup on the rezoning petition looks nothing like their track record. So here's hoping for the best:

Link to rezoning petition

I don't hate the design, I can see that morehead is going to have its own little satilite skyline in a just a short time, I'm suprised we haven't heard more of a fuss from the neighborhood.

Ordermore8 is moving along these days. Looks to be a cool infill that will add to and not detract from Dilworth. I would not like to live along or directly adjacent to the racetracks of Kenilworth and Scott in Dilworth though. Cars come way too close for comfort to those parked. That hill up to East is a schlep too. Oy.

The building housing Mantra salon next to Starbucks is now vacant and up For Sale. Pretty prime spot ,with brutal parking though. I can't believe CMC has not snapped it up yet on their neverending mission to own East Blvd. I think it's a good spot for a nice laidback restaurant.

Edited by voyager12

Morehead used to be an attractive street. Now it's all kinds of ugly. CMC is going to do the same thing to East Blvd.

One thing we have going for East Blvd is that anything CMC does will have to go through DCDA and the Myers Park HOA. These are particularly influential neighborhood associations. One would assume that they, along with the City, will push for quality development since this is in the commercial center of Dilworth.

WBTV news had a news report tonight about Carolinas Medical Center gobbling up Dilworth. There was a picture of a computer screen that was taken from Urban Planet---->a post by PlazaMidwoodGuy is focused on for an instant.

The battle continues over here to find out what CMC is up to. The adjective "stealthy" has been used to describe their behavior. Why they are going to such great lengths to hide the "secret" of the location of the medical school is beyond me. They should know by now that they will have to pay what it costs to acquire the remaining properties. Besides, they have over $1.5 Billion in funds for capital expenditures.

All of the homeowners are now all very well informed as to the true value of their properties.

Edited by maratletter

CMC does not deserve any kind of benefit of the doubt. It would be one thing if they had been open and honest over the years with their acquisitions. But they have been stealthy which only gives off a bad impression. I don't buy this landbanking PR. Of course they have plans. I heard tonight from a city planning employee that CMC has been lining this up for years to move forward.

Caribou/Brueggers is THE meeting spot for Dilworth and draws a wide range of people during the week. It's also very popular on nice weekends. There aren't any other places with that type of capacity in Dilworth to go and hang out on a nice day or evening. Losing it along with Cantina and EBG will be horrible. All that time was spent narrowing and "calming" that stretch of East to draw pedestrian activity and uses. Now we are just going to let CMC wreck it all with institutional growth? What was the point? I guess there is a chance that whatever plans CMC has to redevelop will include some retail but I am not banking on it.

The City better stick to it's guns for once and insist on CMC comply with current zoning that encourages a mix of uses. The hospital does not have a great track record in this regard though and the City buckles under too often to big power. DCDA will do it's best to fight but I am not optimistic.

^ That's a good question. And if there are so committed to expansion why not utilize vacant spots instead of displacing popular neighborhood businesses? CMC has plenty of money to throw around apparently....buy the Epicurean lot or the former Talley's space. Although if Caribou/Brueggers is eventually forced to close maybe they could move into the old Talley's spot. Could do a setup like the one in Park Rd Shopping Ctr.

The battle continues over here to find out what CMC is up to. The adjective "stealthy" has been used to describe their behavior. Why they are going to such great lengths to hide the "secret" of the location of the medical school is beyond me.

All of the homeowners are now all very well informed as to the true value of their properties.

1) they are being 'stealthy' because they are trying to avoid the uproar the will come if lots of people know that a large chunk of one of the cities beautiful and historic neighborhoods is about to be taken down for this use. as voyager has pointed out, as well, the businesses they are buying up are some of the most popular in the area.

2) they were hoping, i'm guessing from the offers they've been making (I know people that live on the affected streets) have been low-ball offers -- they are trying to buy these properties via Lincoln - Harris at below market values. if a house has been improved, added onto, or otherwise higher valued than the properties that haven't that they've bought cheap, they don't want to pay what the bigger and/or nicer house is worth.

typical -- those with plenty are trying to squeeze the little guys

Well, hopefully the growing media interest will help rally greater attention to their plans. As much as I would love to freeze time, CMC owns all these parcels fair and square now. And I guess ranting and raving though fun and cathartic won't help. The best DCDA and others concerned can do is push CMC and the City to include neighborhood retail in the redevelopment plans and hold them to it. CMC is meeting with the Planning Commission today about their long range plans and DCDA next week. Hopefully they will be more willing to shed some more light on their intentions.

Neighborhood gossip tells me that CMC's landgrab is all about the med school. In preliminary talks, the relevant city agencies are insisting on keeping all the existing roads open which supposedly makes wholesale demo more difficult. Retail is also going to be part of any final agreement I am told. It's way early of course. I am not sure if CMC has bought the old apt house on the corner of Lombardy&East yet. They are still renting units because I almost looked there when I had to move. Anyone know?

CMC should focus on making use of the vacant buildings it has also snapped up right past EBG and leave the neighborhood haunts alone.

The Charlotte Womans Club building was purchase earlier this month, and already a demolition permit has been pulled...I guess it will be gone soon. Anyone know the owner? Is it Morehead Properties? I suspect we will see a bricky midrise. Based on the purchase price, probably in the 80k sq. ft. range.

This is the building.

AQ115724.JPG

Good news...the CBJ reports that I was wrong. The building's exterior will not be demoed, but rather the building will be upfitted to accomodate 2 interior design businesses.

They have. I hate to see that building go. Maybe it won't, who knows.

Not too surprised I suppose. This whole "project" is confusing because so little info is being released. So they also bought Cantina but the manager said they have two more years on their lease before having to move out. I always thought a new owner would make a lease null and void unless they made an agreement to allow them to stay? Have not heard of Alpine's plans. EBG's manager says they have a new space to move to but are not disclosing when they are going or where the new spot is.

Also concerning Caribou/Brueggers, I wonder who owned them prior to the hospital purchasing them and what the timeline is there. The only thing I have heard is business as usual for now.

Not too surprised I suppose. This whole "project" is confusing because so little info is being released. So they also bought Cantina but the manager said they have two more years on their lease before having to move out. I always thought a new owner would make a lease null and void unless they made an agreement to allow them to stay?

A valid lease goes 'with' a property if it sells. The buyer is buying the property subject to the lease. That doesn't mean a new owner can't try and buy out a lease or renegotiate. In the case of CMC, it doesn't seem that their plans are moving very quickly. They've bought up a good bit of properties on East blvd, but don't seem to be in a hurry to buy the homes on the adjacent streets.