Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

Not too surprised I suppose. This whole "project" is confusing because so little info is being released. So they also bought Cantina but the manager said they have two more years on their lease before having to move out. I always thought a new owner would make a lease null and void unless they made an agreement to allow them to stay? Have not heard of Alpine's plans. EBG's manager says they have a new space to move to but are not disclosing when they are going or where the new spot is.

Also concerning Caribou/Brueggers, I wonder who owned them prior to the hospital purchasing them and what the timeline is there. The only thing I have heard is business as usual for now.

When I spoke to the mgr of EBG's a few months ago, he said they had their lease extended one year but didn't know what CMC's plans or intentions were with the property, except that they were confronted about it. He was still unsure if they would be able to resume business in their current location but did state they were looking for new property in case it ended up that way but had no official word on where they would be in a year or two, just assured that they would be around...

Actually, CMC is in a hurry to buy the houses on Fountain View, Garden Terrace and to a lesser extent, on Lombardy Circle. The hospital's problem is that the affected homeowners have come together in the last few months to form a very well informed group that has educated everyone as to the ever increasing value of their land. This new found knowledge is creating somewhat of an impasse as CMC is having difficulty in opening up their massive pocketbook. However, time is on the side of the homeowners in this "game."

The DCDA, who had to be informed by the homeowners that this was even going on, has now decided to jump on the bandwagon and support the homeowners. A letter from the DCDA to elected officials is forthcoming and should be sent in the next few days. The politicians have universally claimed to be clueless and have been of no help to the homeowners/voters, so far.

Different media outlets are monitoring this and there may be some press soon that will shine a light on what is apparently desperately being hid from the public.

Actually, CMC is in a hurry to buy the houses on Fountain View, Garden Terrace and to a lesser extent, on Lombardy Circle. The hospital's problem is that the affected homeowners have come together in the last few months to form a very well informed group that has educated everyone as to the ever increasing value of their land. This new found knowledge is creating somewhat of an impasse as CMC is having difficulty in opening up their massive pocketbook. However, time is on the side of the homeowners in this "game."

The DCDA, who had to be informed by the homeowners that this was even going on, has now decided to jump on the bandwagon and support the homeowners. A letter from the DCDA to elected officials is forthcoming and should be sent in the next few days. The politicians have universally claimed to be clueless and have been of no help to the homeowners/voters, so far.

Different media outlets are monitoring this and there may be some press soon that will shine a light on what is apparently desperately being hid from the public.

Good. If CMC wants to buy these properties, they should just come out and do so without any appearance of secrecy and without lowballing the property owners. I know owners on these streets, and so far CMC has been trying to buy these properties for a set price THEY determined to be fair. These 'fair' prices don't take into account any work the owners have done to their homes, any additions, etc. Just a pre-determined 'wish' price by CMC. I'm sure a lot of people would love to be able to buy homes in Dilworth in the $300,000's and $400,000's -- but they've been priced higher than that for years.

My fathers office was purchased by CMC 5years ago. It was located on the corner of Kenilworth and Romany Rd. Great 1930's huge home that they converted into a office. This was the last remaing property that CMC needed before tearing everything down and makeing it into a parking deck.

I don't really understand all the wasited land use around it. All that is ther is a parking deck why didn't they intergrate more hospital space on top of the deck or have a better design to better use the land?

My fathers office was purchased by CMC 5years ago. It was located on the corner of Kenilworth and Romany Rd. Great 1930's huge home that they converted into a office. This was the last remaing property that CMC needed before tearing everything down and makeing it into a parking deck.

I don't really understand all the wasited land use around it. All that is ther is a parking deck why didn't they intergrate more hospital space on top of the deck or have a better design to better use the land?

Well back then those houses were on Durwood Drive, right? My mom had a place there before the parking deck as well, loved that row of old houses. But of course they "needed" to feed the hungry beast, its just too bad.

The houses on Kenilworth that were destroyed to create a cavern of parking decks were beautiful and magnificent in character. It has somehow been lost to the sands of time that in 2002, it was reported in print that the hospital committed to wrap the new parking deck with a combination of retail and residential space. When is this obligation going to be met by the hospital? It certainly isn't like they can't afford it. It is the same old tired story: Promises are made, but not kept.

If anyone can find the commitment documented, I would suggest the forward it to Planning Staff, Planning Commission and City Council when this new property seeks a rezoning.

Language can be added to any conditional rezoning, requiring them to begin construction on remediation projects before a Certificate of Occupancy will be issued for the underlying hospital project.

It is truly a sad day in Dilworth. The Charlotte Business Journal is reporting in their 08/22/08 print version that "Carolinas HealthCare System (CHS) is to tear down homes in Dilworth." The announcement of the death sentence came quickly. At the same time, CHS inexplicably announced in a letter that "A project to utilize these properties does not exist, nor has a specific plan or project to utilize them ever existed." To further add to the bizarre nature of what is going on, Mayor Pat took time off of the campaign trail to reassure affected homeowners and families with an e-mail that the plan (that does not exist) "may not come before City Council for years or decades." You couldn't make this stuff up if you tried. Everyone may want to visit what is now affectionately being called "The Four Blocks" before it is attacked by the wrecking ball. Yes, Scott Avenue, Fountain View, Garden Terrace and Lombardy Circle as we know them will no longer be with us (not to mention the best part of East Boulevard that will also be removed in a dump truck). Both the DCDA and the Charlotte Observer continue to choose to remain silent on this historical and important event.

Nope I know about that one, this one is closer up to East behind and to the side of CMC building before you hit the Epicurean wasteland. Speaking of CMC more of their plan to conquer Dilworth is in the current CBJ as Maratletter mentioned. But they won't say which buildings are being torn down or when. They put the CIA to shame. Being so secretive only makes people think the worst. I guess I am pretty ignorant of real estate dealings, I know some secrecy has to be maintained during the purchasing but come on already.

Edited by voyager12

According to building permit records, the project on Scott behind the Epicurean lot will be 4 large townhouses in the 2,000-2,500 sq. ft. range.

I don't really know anything else....I believe the land was assemble by RED Partners as part of the Dilworth Walk/medical office building renovation, but it appears the townhouses are being developed by a John Coughlan.....I'm not sure whether he is affliated with RED or not.

I guess I am pretty ignorant of real estate dealings, I know some secrecy has to be maintained during the purchasing but come on already.

Secrecy by many developers, not all but many, during the aquisition process is pretty normal. In the case of a quasi-government agency it isn't typical and, IMO, borders on violation of disclosure and open policy.

One DOES have to wonder, why the secrecy? Afraid of DCDA working agaisnt them? Is someone profiting in this other than the public or CMC -- that is the route I personally believe -- a couple extra hands in the cookie jar, otherwise they are spending public money so why the need to hide anything. They also, any public agency, have an obligation to pay fair market value -- they appear to be trying to circumvent that obligation. Again, why if it is public money they are spending and no one else is profiting. I was told by property owners on Lombardy Circle that a couple of doctors groups were trying to buy up some of these properties. One would certainly hope that they aren't privvy to the long term plans, are looking to buy cheap, then flip to their employer on our tab down the road. Sounds a bit like insider trading to me.

I hope the lid gets blown off this. If they want, need, or otherwise WILL buy all of this up there really isn't much to do to prevent it -- just do it above the table.

Edited by Charlotte_native

I don't believe CHS is a public entity in any respect, and therefore they don't have to play by the same rules. They are, however, a non-profit, and the city should be open about any discussions with the hospital based on the fact that they don't pay property taxes on a majority of their holdings while consuming resources.....in this sense, they are subsidized by the taxpayer, and should be held to a higher degree of transparacency.

Unless I missed it I have not seen one story or even a blurb about CMC's landbuys in The Observer. CBJ and local TV news have done reports. Odd. One of the most popular neighborhoods in the city may be facing largescale change and not a peep from our newspaper. Omissions like these feed into the backscratching perception of the establishment protecting each other in this town.

According to the CBJ article the Planning Dept official leading the review has refused comment after repeated requests as well. She does not work for CMC. I don't think secrecy by local gvt is helpful either.

The ever popular Greekfest starts tomorrow. I am thinking and hoping that the light rail will help to offset a bit of the traffic tsunami that swamps Dilworth every year. We shall see....

Unfortunately I think a real tsunami (hurricane) might make a mess of one of my favorite local, long time, festivals.

The Charlotte Observer has finally dropped the news blackout on the story of the acquisition of Dilworth by Carolinas Healthcare System. The front page article on today's print edition spells out in detail the legitimate concerns of the residents of The Four Blocks. However, in my opinion, the hospital continues its trifling "no answer" answer to simple questions. The plot thickens.

Are they doing any kind of shuttle from E/W Blvd station (wachovia championship style)?

No, although some shuttle service seems like a good idea to me. This is the major fundraiser for the church though and I don't see them spending money on transport.

Today's O says East Blvd Bar and Grill is moving to Latta Pavillion in January. Which spot do you think? I have heard that Quiznos is going to close but that's a small space. Heard no rumors of 131 Main closing.

EBB&G will still get business at Latta Pavilion, but it won't have the same character. It will be exactly like the Coffee Cup moving except it will be to an even more sterile environment. Aside from the honey mustard, my favorite thing about the place is the smell of "old building."