Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

WSOC-TV just did a televised news report on what they called the hospital's "land grab" in Dilworth. The report was done by Susan Tran and is on their website for viewing at wsoctv.com. An interesting twist to the story has developed as it has come out that the hospital stands to acquire the streets/sidewalks/planting strips basically for free from the taxpayers once they own all of the properties on a street (such as Fountain View, Garden Terrace and Lombardy Circle).

We parked on Lombardy during lunch today and I was wondering if the news van was shooting a story about this. There was also a Channel 36 car over there, so it looks like this story might be gaining some traction.

Is street abandonment a common practice? I hadn't heard of it until this story. This whole thing seems seedier and seedier, but now that CMC has those properties, it seems incredibly unlikely that they'll let go of them to "undo" the damage done thus far.

Is street abandonment a common practice? I hadn't heard of it until this story.

It is actually common if a road, or road right-of-way, is landlocked, useless to the public, or otherwise only useful to the surrounding properties. I'm sure there are many more examples, but this was done a couple of years ago at Magnolia Ave and Kirkwood Ave in Dilworth to build The Magnolia -- they gave the developer a littel cul-de-sac. I've also seen it done where platted roads were never built.

I had a home in NoDa that there was an platted but unbuilt road extention at 37th Street that ran between our home and the one next door. We had to petition for the road to be given half and half to each adjoining property owner. It was basically just paperwork. Neighbors did the same on Tremont Avenue. In these cases, though, it was adding property that wasn't on the tax rolls to properties that were, in the case of the hospital it is just tit for tat.

^I sincerely hope its more than just "some paperwork." The City should not be giving up platted streets since the goal is to INCREASE connectivity. Certainly there will be some instances that it will be necessary, but in general the city should be requiring more stub streets and paper streets if necessary. Filling in existing paper streets is just the next logical step. There are some great ones in Dilworth, Sedgefield, and NoDa if you check out the parcel lines on Polaris.

Looking at your Magnolia example, that appears to be a significant loss for the city. Its a part of the grid we'll never have. I think that this city is entirely too complacent with letting its grid fall apart where it could exist.

As rumored, Quiznos in LP has shut down. Which also leads me to believe that their spot is the new home for East Blvd Bar and Grill in January. 131 is not going anywhere. Yet. If this is the spot EBG will have a radically different style with such compressed space. I hope it survives. LP seems to be cursed. The former Supersuppers space makes more sense but a sign there has a children's clothing store moving in.

As rumored, Quiznos in LP has shut down. Which also leads me to believe that their spot is the new home for East Blvd Bar and Grill in January. 131 is not going anywhere. Yet. If this is the spot EBG will have a radically different style with such compressed space. I hope it survives. LP seems to be cursed. The former Supersuppers space makes more sense but a sign there has a children's clothing store moving in.

I thought you'd be excited to see Bev Perdue's campaign HQ there!

• 3 weeks later...

Queen City Pizza Depot which replaced Riccios and China Saute were both robbed within minutes of each other last night. I was outside working on my porch around the same time but did not hear the gunshot that was reported. The getaway car was abandoned nearby on Kirkwood. There are good businesses in that area like Comet Grill but they are hurt by the overall seediness feel. Every once in awhile I see a redevelopment sketch in CBJ for the entire center but nothing seems to move forward.

Queen City Pizza Depot which replaced Riccios and China Saute were both robbed within minutes of each other last night. I was outside working on my porch around the same time but did not hear the gunshot that was reported. The getaway car was abandoned nearby on Kirkwood. There are good businesses in that area like Comet Grill but they are hurt by the overall seediness feel. Every once in awhile I see a redevelopment sketch in CBJ for the entire center but nothing seems to move forward.

That shopping center is an anomaly. You would think BiLo would clean up that store to make it competitive w/ Harris Teeter in such an affluent area.

I forget the details but I think Bi-Lo is a large part of the reason that makeover plans have stalled. And with the current state of the economy nothing will happen anytime soon. Queen City Pizza Depot just had their Grand Opening. I walked over last week and the owners are nice people. Now one of them is in the hospital after getting shot in the leg. Thank goodness it was not worse but it's just sad.

That shopping center is an anomaly. You would think BiLo would clean up that store to make it competitive w/ Harris Teeter in such an affluent area.

I've actually sent Bi-Lo corporate a message saying as much. That store also has surprisingly poor pedestrian access. Anyone coming to it from Ideal Way has to walk down that grungy alley and pray that two cars don't need to pass. Hopefully if enough people speak up they might realize that they're sitting on a lot of potential and act on it a little more swiftly. A pedestrian bridge behind Bi-Lo leading down to Sedgefield Park at McDonald Ave would be pretty sweet, too.

The Bi-Lo box and the strip center have seperate ownership. I also believe Bi-Lo did a sale leaseback of their box so they no longer own it. I would assume that they will either go dark or finish out their lease and vacate b/c they can't compete with Harris Teeter in the Dilworth market, especially now the Ideal Way and most of Sedgefield have become high value properties. I don't think that location has high enough traffic #s to support retail, so I'd assume that the Bi-Lo site will eventually become residental.

I'm interested to see sketch ups of any proposals for that site. The only one I've seen has been from a study done by the city, calling for higher densities and increasing the height restrictions to 5 or 6 stories and the redevelopment of the entire block incorporating all uses (office, retail, multi-family).

In my opinion, Sperry Van Ness who owns one of the shopping centers on the block already, should try and buy up the rest of the block for a long term redevelopment. With East Blvd losing some of it's charm and shops/restaurants, there's an opportunity for a new area in Dilworth to offer street-front restaurants/shops and offices. It would be great to be able to put all of the unique boutiques and restaurants into one walkable site. In the wake of all the recent news, this would be VERY long term, but seems reasonable to do in phases and would definitely bring Dilworth full circle as this seems to be the last piece of the puzzle.

commREacq :

"In my opinion, Sperry Van Ness who owns one of the shopping centers on the block already, should try and buy up the rest of the block for a long term redevelopment. With East Blvd losing some of it's charm and shops/restaurants, there's an opportunity for a new area in Dilworth to offer street-front restaurants/shops and offices. It would be great to be able to put all of the unique boutiques and restaurants into one walkable site. In the wake of all the recent news, this would be VERY long term, but seems reasonable to do in phases and would definitely bring Dilworth full circle as this seems to be the last piece of the puzzle. "

^ I like this idea. The area could serve as something of a renaissance for this side of Dilworth as CMC gobbles up East Blvd. Of course it would probably creep down Park and force me out of my quaint old affordable Dilworth apt. But I am prepared to sacrifice myself for the greater good yuppies bring :rolleyes::lol:

Edited by voyager12

There is an article in Monday's CBJ talking about a possible redevelopement of Strawn Apartments on South Blvd. The plan is to triple the density of the site and also create some great much needed public greenspace for the area. The Charlotte Housing Authority plans on waiting 6 months until they start shopping the land around, hopefully enough time to reverse the current economic climate. They plan on making a great mixed income area that will also reclaim the lost connectivity to the neighborhood that Strawn Apartment took. The Total Site is 16 acres, so there is a great opportunity to create something superb. They would like to include shops and offices in the area as well. No word yet on the height they would be shooting for, but I'm hoping at least for something at least 7-15 stories. The Urban Land Institute is recommending that they rehab the current building.

And on another note, one of our urbanplaneteers is quoted in the article saying this site has

It does have tremenous potential, though I wasn't quoted :)

I have heard that they will look to do an additiona highrise on the site, next to the existing towere. The rest will be midrise, with density and height decreasing away from South Blvd.

There will still be a large affordable component, and if I'm not mistaken, the addditional highrise will also be a senior low-income building, but I'm not positive.

Restoring the street network through there would also be huge. Cleveland needs to be reconnected to Caldwell, and Mt. Vernon should go up to at least Caldwell, and possibly South. Arlington needs to cross south.

I hope they also allow for significant retail opportunities on that side of South, because it's really a dead zone between Dilworth Coffee and I-277.

It does have tremenous potential, though I wasn't quoted :)

I have heard that they will look to do an additiona highrise on the site, next to the existing towere. The rest will be midrise, with density and height decreasing away from South Blvd.

There will still be a large affordable component, and if I'm not mistaken, the addditional highrise will also be a senior low-income building, but I'm not positive.

Restoring the street network through there would also be huge. Cleveland needs to be reconnected to Caldwell, and Mt. Vernon should go up to at least Caldwell, and possibly South. Arlington needs to cross south.

I hope they also allow for significant retail opportunities on that side of South, because it's really a dead zone between Dilworth Coffee and I-277.

To me the most important parts are the affordable housing and the reclamation of connectivity. As far as retail goes, it would definately be a plus, I'm just glad they seem to be steering away from charlottes new trend urban neighborhoods based around big boxes. Which has been great in execution, but we don't need more. I think this area is far enough away from TJs and Harris teeter to maybe get a small grocery store or Co-op. When urban village ideas come up I always find myself resenting southpark mall, and wishing it didn't exist. Southend/dilworth would have so much potential as a shopping destination.

There is an article in Monday's CBJ talking about a possible redevelopement of Strawn Apartments on South Blvd. The plan is to triple the density of the site and also create some great much needed public greenspace for the area. The Charlotte Housing Authority plans on waiting 6 months until they start shopping the land around, hopefully enough time to reverse the current economic climate. They plan on making a great mixed income area that will also reclaim the lost connectivity to the neighborhood that Strawn Apartment took. The Total Site is 16 acres, so there is a great opportunity to create something superb. They would like to include shops and offices in the area as well. No word yet on the height they would be shooting for, but I'm hoping at least for something at least 7-15 stories. The Urban Land Institute is recommending that they rehab the current building.

And on another note, one of our urbanplaneteers is quoted in the article saying this site has

Edited by dbull75

Just an interesting tidbit....DCDA actually championed the development of the Strawn Cottages (the 1 story quadplexes in the last picture. This was their first "development" that they were involved with hence the Dilworth Community Development Association name.....how times have changed :)

Just an interesting tidbit....DCDA actually championed the development of the Strawn Cottages (the 1 story quadplexes in the last picture. This was their first "development" that they were involved with hence the Dilworth Community Development Association name.....how times have changed :)

My, My, My, I wonder if there is anyway to use this against the DCDA, lol. That is just too funny.

To me the most important parts are the affordable housing and the reclamation of connectivity.

I absolutely agree. I very much hope someone steps up and helps buck current trends in which these inner city neighborhoods are becoming inaccessible to all but the wealthiest, with the affordable stock being bulldozed for over-priced and over-designed condos or absurd mcmansions (so long, Ideal Way)

Connectivity-wise, it would be very nice to see Bland St carried through to connect with Mt Vernon Ave. Combined with Carson's realignment with Lexington, that stretch of South Blvd could really have some nice things taking shape.

I am glad you are alright. You are referencing the East&Kenilworth location I assume. It was robbed tonight? If so we are on a sad roll lately here in Dilworth. Double armed robbery at two restaurants barely a block from me last week. Armed robbery near Tyber Creek Pub last week and the gas station across from BBV was robbed two weeks ago. No wonder the Crimeworth nick name is gaining currency :ph34r: