Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

I agree with the grocery store idea - and a Fresh Market concept, possibly a whole foods would work great in my opinion

As far as the crime, I think we're in for an unfortunate upswing all across the board. With unemployment rising drastically, that alone signals a rise in crime, but what doesn't get accounted for there is that the workers "off the books" with a high concentration being in the building industry which is non-existent right now. They can't find work and don't qualify for unemployment for obvious reasons. They still have families to feed, and when times get desperate, this is what happens unfortunately. I think we are fortunate in comparison to states like Florida, where this will have a much more severe effect than in Charlotte or the Carolina region.

A couple friends of mine stumbled upon a new bar this weekend at Latta Pavilion. Its not easy to find as there is no signs, but apparently the name is Yn, say the name out loud and you know what the serve. Its a very cozy space, and its owned by 131 Main and serves some of their smaller dishes. Sarah Aarthun seems to have also been there and she wrote about it her paid to party blog on tthe Observer. http://obsent.blogspot.com/ read more here.

David Furman (Centro CityWorks) has announced its next project. This is going at the site of the very controversial rezoning at the corner of Euclid and Tremont. It will be called TreHouse, and will be 52 units, mostly 1BRs priced from $140k for 500 sq. ft.

Here is the rendering, I believe looking East along Tremont.

post-1289-1207587902_thumb.jpg

Nothing earth shattering design wise, but the scale is appropriate. It's still too bad that DCDA just had to go their route of rejecting all iterations of this project, so that the older multi-family building on the site will now be demoed.

Looks like this is dead. It has been removed from Centro CityWorks' website, and permiting hasn't been reviewed since May.

I thought I had noticed a sign on the corner of Morehead & Kennilworth. Now the rezoning petition comes in from Planet 5, LLC. The only Planet 5 I could find was out of Florida and looks to do horrible suburban condos buildings. But the mockup on the rezoning petition looks nothing like their track record. So here's hoping for the best:

Link to rezoning petition

This is coming up Monday under the name 1301 E. Morehead. Here are the renderings for it. Good news is it will include no less than 20,000 sq feet of retail. Bad news is it doesn't have the best pedestrian presence.

post-17104-1224428897_thumb.jpg

post-17104-1224428910_thumb.jpg

This is coming up Monday under the name 1301 E. Morehead. Here are the renderings for it. Good news is it will include no less than 20,000 sq feet of retail. Bad news is it doesn't have the best pedestrian presence.

The pedestrian presence along Harding should have been more thoughtful, but I must say, the existing building has the single worst pedestrian presence in the city along the Kenilworth Frontage.....narrow sidewalk pressed up directly to the street with a rusty collapsing handrail keeping people from falling over the cornice.....it is truly awful.

The architecture is ho hum, but as I mentioned before, for the Kenilworth streetscape improvements alone, I support this.

1301 E. Morehead has been vacant ever since I can remeber. It has got to cost a fortune to renovate that place/add on. I always herd the place was full of asbestos thats why it sat for years. That has to cost some $$$$ to get rid of all of it.

The new design is alright guess it looks like something you would see further down on W. Morehead near the Panthers Stadium.

I heard the same. The owner passed away back in 2003 I think, but as Conformity said, the heirs had issues settling the estate, and I believe they all, or most, were residing in upstate NY, which of course didn't help speed the process.

To your point about renovation with asbestos. They plan to demolish the entire strucutre anyway, so the process won't be that tediuous, though it will take the new owner some time and money to have the asbestos removed prior to demolition.

A couple friends of mine stumbled upon a new bar this weekend at Latta Pavilion. Its not easy to find as there is no signs, but apparently the name is Yn, say the name out loud and you know what the serve. Its a very cozy space, and its owned by 131 Main and serves some of their smaller dishes. Sarah Aarthun seems to have also been there and she wrote about it her paid to party blog on tthe Observer. http://obsent.blogspot.com/ read more here.

Its a wine bar (hence the name... "Yn"). Sorry if I ruined the mystery for anyone. I've heard very good things about it though.

Its a wine bar (hence the name... "Yn"). Sorry if I ruined the mystery for anyone. I've heard very good things about it though.

Lol, thats what I suggested people say Yn aloud. So if anything I tried to ruin it a lil less subtly. From what I have heard from friends it is indeed great, and a good dilworth destination.

I like the improvements 131 Main have made to their outside dining area. Before the tables looked kind of randomly scattered on the sidewalk. The enclosure looks much better, I am sure it will be fully utilized in the Spring. The fire is a nice touch too. Walking by the flames makes want to go grab some marshmallows,chocolate bars, and graham crackers for S'mores! Roasting marshmallows at the campfire until they were all gooey was a summer camp tradition in New England for me :P

Edited by voyager12

^ East Boulevard Bar and Grill. They are refugees from the hospital buying spree farther down East. I am guessing they are moving into the old Quiznos spot? LP's retail component seems to be constantly turning over. It's a shame. Hopefully the latest new tenants will last awhile.

Edited by voyager12

I think another LP-like development opposite LP on East would help. Post-Netflix, Blockbuster was already hurting pre-downturn. Combine this with Epicurean and you have a nice site for redevelopment. Of course, in this economy, something may take Blockbuster's space, but I'd hope for apartments (not condos in this economy) across the entire Kenilworth to Scott block face with ground-floor retail. If that would happen, I think LP and other East Blvd. businesses would have much more foot traffic to be viable.

^ I agree that a better constructed mixed used center would be great on the Epicurean lot. But as we all know that patch of land is not sprouting anything anytime soon.

The townhomes under construction on Scott tucked in across from Dilworth Garden is a RED project I believe. I noticed thet site work has slowed too.

Ordermore8 further down Scott is moving along though and I think it looks very cool.

Reading the article in the CBJ this morning about TreHouse reminded me that I saw one of the two houses Centro owns on that property on Craigslist for rent again as it was months ago. It is still being offered month to month only, which seems optimistic to me, but maybe Furman thinks the project can get started within the next year?

• 2 weeks later...

So, Plan B is now Rock n Lobster. I noticed the change this week. Anyone have more details? Plan B always seemed busy. A singles spot with the same name as a morning after pregnancy prevention pill always struck me as funny.

I think I was off base in assuming EBG was moving into the old Quiznos spot. The vacant space that previously housed SuperSuppers is much more logical.

So, Plan B is now Rock n Lobster. I noticed the change this week. Anyone have more details? Plan B always seemed busy. A singles spot with the same name as a morning after pregnancy prevention pill always struck me as funny.

I think I was off base in assuming EBG was moving into the old Quiznos spot. The vacant space that previously housed SuperSuppers is much more logical.

East Blvd. Bar and Grill is taking both the Quiznos and SuperSuppers spaces and combining them.