Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

That block is becoming restaurant row, huh? It's too bad there is no foot traffic and parking is a big issue. When EBBG goes in, parking is going to be an even bigger issue than it already is and will probably have a negative affect accross the board (or block).

Plus Picasso's and EBBG next door to each other.. weird? now we can bar hop on East Blvd!!!!! :alc:

Maybe if there were more on-street parking or shared parking, foot traffic would result. Speaking of on-street parking, has anyone else noticed that new signs went up on Garden Terrace restricting parking next to EBBG's existing location and Caribou/Breugger's? Granted, that's a street virtually owned fully now by CMC. If the hospital had a hand in eliminating those spots (btw, people still park there and ignore the signs, since demand is so high) maybe CMC truly has begun their plot to kill East Blvd.

Maybe if there were more on-street parking or shared parking, foot traffic would result. Speaking of on-street parking, has anyone else noticed that new signs went up on Garden Terrace restricting parking next to EBBG's existing location and Caribou/Breugger's? Granted, that's a street virtually owned fully now by CMC. If the hospital had a hand in eliminating those spots (btw, people still park there and ignore the signs, since demand is so high) maybe CMC truly has begun their plot to kill East Blvd.

Well there were always no parking signs there. It was just ignored before as well. I know this because I used to park there and my girlfriend would warn me about getting towed, and it never happened. The difference now is that I think they are enforcing it.

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed recently that four lots bordering DRW and Park are being sold as a package. This does not seem to be a common practice in Dilworth. The brick house included that is along DRW is abandoned. I wonder if a buyer would combine them to have a larger lot, resubdivide or apply for a zoning change to put in condos?

I noticed recently that four lots bordering DRW and Park are being sold as a package. This does not seem to be a common practice in Dilworth. The brick house included that is along DRW is abandoned. I wonder if a buyer would combine them to have a larger lot, resubdivide or apply for a zoning change to put in condos?

That has been for sale for at least a year now. I don't think they combined any lots, that house sits on multiple lots. Recently they torn an addition of the home, I suppose so it can be bought with the lot it sits on then the others can be sold.

I might of missed it on here, but does anybody know whats goin on with the site at 1930/2000 Scott (diagonally behind Dilworth Walk)? Looks like 4/5 townhomes that have been framed for sometime. Then the project just seemed to die.

There were two workers onsite this afternoon. It was hard to see what they were doing as I drove by, but it looked like they were prepping the exterior walls to have some sort of siding installed.

There were two workers onsite this afternoon. It was hard to see what they were doing as I drove by, but it looked like they were prepping the exterior walls to have some sort of siding installed.

Yeah I noticed the roof was put in the last month. They are (slowly) trying to dry this in before winter sets in. My guess is the bank is giving them some serious grief on construction draws.

• 2 weeks later...

^ I suppose this will temporarily slow CHS's rapacious appetite for swallowing up East. Too bad it's too late to remedy the soon to be vacant East Boulevard Bar & Grill spot. I am glad they will be filling a vacancy at Latta Pavillion but the block they are on now is really going to be a dead zone with the exception of the apt building on the corner.

I found a great book on the history of Dilworth at Paperskyscraper this weekend. A very interesting read and great pictures. I did not realize how many beautiful mansions and other noteworthy buildings were torn down in the neighborhood over the years before the restrictions were tightened up.

Edited by voyager12

• 2 weeks later...

Noticed yesterday that Italian Village Pizza which occupied the formerly MM spot in Kenilworth Commons is already out of business. They did not even last a year. While the pizza was fairly average it was a decent spot to grab a slice and the people and prices were nice. That end unit is a tough spot. Would not reccomend another pizza joint going in there. Maybe there's a curse. Every once in awhile I hear HT wants to eventually knock through all the way to the end. But Wolf's Camera does not seem to be going anywhere. It's my primary supermarket but it sure gets cramped in there. Especially the backup at U-Scan. I have always thought the whole point of this option was speed. Why oh why do people bring overloaded carts there and slow everyone down? :angry:

Ooops :offtopic: but I feel better after said rant.

• 2 weeks later...

There is an interview with the president of the DCDA in the 12/26/08 CBJ regarding the ongoing battle between Dilworth and CHS. The following quote is rather interesting: "Dilworth is in high need of a municipal (parking) garage to keep those restaurants full five or six days a week. If you could have a dual-use garage (with the hospital), I think people would really welcome that."

The following quote is rather interesting: "Dilworth is in high need of a municipal (parking) garage to keep those restaurants full five or six days a week. If you could have a dual-use garage (with the hospital), I think people would really welcome that."

^It doesn't just have to be the hospital, whose decks are a healthy walk from East Blvd. A developer of the Epicurean site (and hopefully combined with adjacent Blockbuster and low-rise offices) could receive City subsidy if they built extra public parking in a deck. Though other sites may be owned by CMS, a deck-loaded development seems too large for many other sites, like Caribou or East Blvd. Bar & Grill.

Edited by southslider

Aside from Ordermore8 which has long been underway most of the condo projects in Dilworth have been shelved like Trehouse. Or just stopped midstream like the townhouses along Scott near East. By contrast I counted at least three For Rent signs this AM for apts at old quads along Tremont. I am in one a little further down on Park. One unit of ours just rented and another one is coming up for lease. Rent for 1 bdrs in the 600s or low 7s is a great deal for Dilworth. If you don't mind older buildings without the amenities but they have a nice charm I think. By contrast, the base rent at brand new (sterile) Camden Dilworth is 1000 for a studio.

I guess this puts into stark relief my gentrification rant last year when the apt house I lived in for three years up the block was sold and I almost moved to Elizabeth. And I love Elizabeth and it was another cool older building but Dilworth is more walkable in my opinion.

Anyhow, I guess from this layman's perspective a slow sales market does sometimes translate into a good rental market. So if you are looking to live relatively cheaply in Dilworth check out these places now because they don't last long.

Edited by voyager12

I guess this puts into stark relief my gentrification rant last year when the apt house I lived in for three years up the block was sold and I almost moved to Elizabeth.

Anyhow, I guess from this layman's perspective a slow sales market does sometimes translate into a good rental market.

Nice little real life lesson in how markets can take care of themselves! Fewer able buyers mean more people who need rentals. Fewer sales often translate into sellers renting their spaces rather than try dumping the price!

I agree. Friends of mine in NYCDCLA etc would knock me senseless for complaining about these rents. But real estate is all about location location right? :)

Granted the city neighborhoods in these "world class" cities have much more going on than their small counterparts in Charlotte like Dilworth or Elizabeth. To me though, it's just not worth living in these places unless you are raking in serious money. Having three roommates in my 30s and barely being able to eat is not for me. Easier to visit and come home .

• 2 weeks later...

News off of Idilworth's page regarding CHS demo plans. They are all going down after East Boulevard Bar and Grill moves this month. No info on what will follow.

1601 East Blvd (currently occupied by East Boulevard Bar & Grill, scheduled to move to Latta Pavilion 01/09)

1607-09 East Blvd (previously occupied by Colours, Wax Museum, ISAACS)

1729 Garden Terrace (previously occupied by Full Closet)

1746 Lombardy Circle (previously occupied by Forest & Kinney Interiors)

1742 Lombardy Circle (previously occupied by Ho-Ho

Edited by voyager12

I also fear that CHS will kill Caribou/Brueggers without demolishing it. The upcoming spring is the ideal time to enjoy their great outdoor seating. Who is going to want sit next to a massive demolition and construction site? Do we have any assurances that they are not going to clearcut all the trees surrounding the vacant buildings? They are slowly but irrevocably ruining the best part of East Blvd. The whole thing just totally sucks :angry:

Edited by voyager12

In other CHS news, does anyone know if the 2nd Phase of Morehead Medical Plaza is now under construction? This would be the sister building on the newish 8 story office building on Harding that was built a few years ago along with the new deck at Morehead and Kenilworth.

It looks like they've been grading the site for the last week or so, but I haven't heard any rumors or seen building permits for the new building.

Also, supposed 1301 E Morehead will be demolished in the next month or two. This is the old modernist building also at the corner of Morehead and Kenilworth that was rezoned last year for a 8 story medical office building. There is a website for the proposed building.

http://www.1301emorehead.com

Ok. So, I apologize for possibly missing earlier threads about this demo, but why does CMC need space on East Boulevard? I would hope the city zoning would require retail/mix for new construction on East. This is really crazy and they better not tear down the apartments behind Caribou b/c it's an awesome older structure.

I have not been able to make it to the previous East Blvd Pedscape improvement meetings but going to try for this one....

"The East Blvd Pedscape Ph 2 meeting will be held 6:30 PM, Thursday, February 26 at Dilworth United Methodist Church (605 East Blvd) The project team has prepared the recommended alternative and will present it at this third public meeting. Come out and see the plans for East Blvd. If you have any questions, please contact Sharon Buchanan, Project Manager at [email protected] This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it or call 704-336-2044"

The plans are focused on narrowing East from Cleveland to Dilworth Road W and putting in landscaped islands and pedestrian refuges. It will be similar to the Scott to Kings Dr stretch. A good thing. I amble up and down East Blvd daily and the upper half needs improvement. I get the idea of a grand wide boulevard but even the real ones have plantings and crosswalks to thrive. I have always thought it was a waste of space the way it is now. It's too bad medians could not have gone in earlier like on QRW or Plaza but the upgrade should be a big help.