Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

I'm not positive but I believe the 5,000 sq. ft. of ground level space will actually be occupied by Bank of Ozarks (there mortgage processsing office which is currently located a couple of blocks away on Morehead). So, I don't think any space will actually be retail space.

The Charlotte Housing Authority is revisiting master plan discussions on redevelopment of the Strawn Apartments site near South Blvd and Caldwell. Good to know that the CHA is looking to move forward on the 17 or so acres. Below is the link to The Urban Land Institute's position paper from back in June 2008 containing recommendations for density, splitting the area into 5 different zones. The CHA is interested in getting a "wish list" from Dilworth, Pritchard Memorial, and the YMCA on the type of development that should ultimately take place. Any suggestions?

http://www.detroit.uli.org/ResearchAndPubl...ize]

Per the O, East Blvd Bar and Grill is closing this weekend and preparing to move up the block to LP. The hospital claims to have no plans for the property. Then why can't they lease it out again? Now we will have even more dead space on a stretch of East that is one of the most popular spots. Cantina is going to move out next year, leaving another dark shell, adding more blight. It's so depressing. It's not like we are Seattle or Portland, where there are blocks and blocks of walkable neighborhoods. We barely have anything to begin with and now will have even less.

^ If the med school rumors are true and their funding is now nonexistent then EBG's old spot will just sit abandoned along with all the other dead buildings on that block. The atmosphere will take a harder hit when Cantina is shuttered. For now Caribou/Brueggers is being left alone. At least Big Daddy's,Sole, and Showmars seem to be doing fine so both sides of the street won't be empty.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

^ The layout has grown on me. I now appreciate the extra space. Across the country Starbucks is getting tougher on folks who buy one drink in the AM but spend all day taking up space with their laptops. So the removal of some of the sofas and chairs makes sense.

East Bvld Grill's new spot at LP is moving along and looks nice to me.

Can anyone confirm that Rock n Lobster is gone? It was dark yesterday and looks the same today.

Unfortunately, one of my favorite neighborhood Italian joints is closed. Frankie's Italian Grille closed last Friday. I didn't realize that it was a Lone Star Steakhouse-owned restaurant. Apparently they had at one point planned to expand the franchise, but never made it past this first store. Frankie's always had good food with an upscale atmosphere, but the prices were just phenomenal. You could have a great dinner experience and get out for the same price as Applebee's. Sad to see this place go...

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/topstorie...ory/998401.html

Unfortunately, one of my favorite neighborhood Italian joints is closed. Frankie's Italian Grille closed last Friday. I didn't realize that it was a Lone Star Steakhouse-owned restaurant. Apparently they had at one point planned to expand the franchise, but never made it past this first store. Frankie's always had good food with an upscale atmosphere, but the prices were just phenomenal. You could have a great dinner experience and get out for the same price as Applebee's. Sad to see this place go...

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/topstorie...ory/998401.html

Well, we had been getting a spurt of new places opening so I was wondering who would fall... I've only been to Frankie's twice. I liked their bar, especially since it's similar to Sullivan's. The food was just ok to me though. Anyone want to bet on how long before CMC buys the property??

Crosland owns the property, and actually owns all the land on that block between Mytle and Oriole (which includes the tennis shop and rug store). I'd expect them to redevelop at some point as opposed to selling to CMS, but I'm sure if the hospital brought an offer they couldn't refuse...well...

Hopefully Lone Star will move in the vacant spot left by Frankies. This would place them one block from their former location at Myrtle & Morehead.

That other one was a Longhorn Steakhouse, different brand.

Hopefully Lone Star will move in the vacant spot left by Frankies. This would place them one block from their former location at Myrtle & Morehead.

no thanks. i thought Frankies was local too, but even if its another chain we could do much much better. i already think the inner neighborhoods are painfully lacking for italian food (and mediterranean, and mexican, and indian...)

no thanks. i thought Frankies was local too, but even if its another chain we could do much much better. i already think the inner neighborhoods are painfully lacking for italian food (and mediterranean, and mexican, and indian...)

Agreed, last this we need is yet another steakhouse. I too would like to see Italian or Mediterranean.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's great that East Blvd Bar and Grill's new location @ LP is so focused on the sidewalk. The windows rollup on nice days, there is an outpocket of tables outside and the bar is also front and center from the street. Along with 131 Main's outdoor dining space they have added a nice boost of urban life to the block.

The DCDA Land Use Committee is meeting at 7pm on Weds at The Tom Sykes Center @ Dilworth Elementary. Open to the public and two important items are on the agenda. Updates by Carolinas Healthcare System on their "plans" for their increasing number of properties along East. And the latest progress report from CHA on the rezoning and redevelopment plans for the Strawn Apartments. I am going to try and make it and will report back if anything interesting pops up.

• 3 weeks later...

LP's block on East is fully leased again. We now have a tatoo removal salon, a maternity clothes spot,wig boutique, and a photography studio. Along with EBG. I hope all the businesss do well, that stretch seems to always struggle. Personally I would have preferred places that...I don't know are more "interactive" with the community. Another little cafe or a small bookstore. The numbers probably don't make sense for my pie in the sky hopes but the new retail additions are also very niche, look overpriced and already seem devoid of customers to me. EBG's old space lying dark sucks but am still excited about their great job on addressing the sidewalk in their new locale. There is good synergy between their indoor/outdoor layout and Main's setup.

The area just feels more alive and buzzin during my frequent walks down East.

Here's hoping CMC continues to honor their ceasefire on Caribrueggers and the rest of their "holdings".