Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

So one can start off anti-establishment, live around Noda/Central, get some tats. Then grow up, go corporate, move to Dilworth, and get them removed. Now that's Charlotte.

Never grow up!! Stay in NoDa, turn 32 and get your wife to buy you a subway map of Boston's "T" as a tattoo for xmas!! (I show it off after xmas!)

• 3 weeks later...

I think it's great that East Blvd Bar and Grill's new location @ LP is so focused on the sidewalk. The windows rollup on nice days, there is an outpocket of tables outside and the bar is also front and center from the street. Along with 131 Main's outdoor dining space they have added a nice boost of urban life to the block.

Agree. I am still frustrated though with the empty "Epicurian" lot across East. Does anyone know of any new information about this lot? I know the owners won't budge/sell but the property tax has to hurt after all of these years. It would just be nice to have a block where both sides have activity.

Heck it's just nice to have the Christmas trees being sold on the epicurean lot during the holiday season. At least there is some life there however temporary....

Per, the latest Dilworth Quarterly I got in the mail last week: Dilworth Inn is still a go, they are trying to figure out whether to demolish the historically significant building currently occupying the future site or move it elsewhere in the neighborhood.

The pedscape plan for upper East is moving along. Within a year the wide expanse between the Greek Orthodox and Dilworth Methodist churches and the rest will mimic the stretch from Kenilworth to Freedom Park. Parking "pod" spaces that are aligned with traffic will be very helpful. Overall a great improvement. The current configuration is tempting to speed upon whistling.gif but never made much sense to me from a neighborly perspective. It would have been a different story if we had a median like QRW or the Plaza going up from Central. The current formation contributes nothing.

Edited by Forrest

• 3 weeks later...

You know, I hadn't noticed it before but I'm disappointed to see that 'peel away' right turn lane for Dilworth Rd W is remaining. That's a little nexus of danger for bikes and pedestrians.

I returned to Charlotte today for the holidays from my humble abode in Brooklyn, and spent a little time at Caribou Coffee on East, a place that has been fond to me for many years. I must say that that block is too much quieter without East Blvd Bar and Grill, and if CMC ever takes Bou/Brueggers away, I'll be livid. Of every chain I've ever been to in the world, there has never been one that fit in to its neighborhood as much as Caribou/Brueggers on East does. So sad, I hate CMC, I hope they don't ruin the neighborhood with their sprawling campus.

I heartily concur good.gif Our Caribrueggers is a business meeting/gay/trans/goth/soccermom/ hotspot and more. In the past CMC has said they recognize it's importance as a neighborhood amenity for us residents and their staff and have said they have no plans to close it down. Hardly comforting since I think Cantina is going to be vacating sometime in 010. CB is still being killed, just by slow cuts.

• 2 weeks later...

Any ideas about what the stores in the Tremont will actually be? If the retail is geared toward everyday use by neighborhood residents, then in a small way it could have a "village center" feel, augmenting the sense of community. I'd like to see a lot more of that. Just a thought by a non-Dilworth resident.

As Atlrvr said, the scale seems nicely handled, and the retail space is great. I just wish that in this case the Historic District Commission and/or the architect had sought a style more redolent of Charlotte's history instead of New England's. All I would hope for now is that the ground floor stays light-colored, which would save the building from looking entirely Massachusetts, as well as lessening its potential dreariness.

Sadly the retail component to the Tremont remains entirely empty. I have seen no evidence of any residential occupancy either but I may have missed that.

On the brighter side Southborough appears to be slowly but surely adding residents. As a neighborhood resident I really appreciate the attention to exterior detail at Southborough (e.g. dog water fountains and hidden water features).

Sadly the retail component to the Tremont remains entirely empty. I have seen no evidence of any residential occupancy either but I may have missed that.

On the brighter side Southborough appears to be slowly but surely adding residents. As a neighborhood resident I really appreciate the attention to exterior detail at Southborough (e.g. dog water fountains and hidden water features).

Actually 2 of the 5 retail slots in The Tremont have been sold and occupied since the building was finished September 08. One houses a graphics and internet company, the other is the offices for the restaurant group that owns Mac's, Bonterra, Las Ramblas and a couple others.

As for the residential there are only 12 remaining units of 45. There were a huge slow down in sales for the end of 08 and the first part of 09, but 11 or so sold over the summer and another 4 during the fall. 2 are under contract now.

The tough part for Southborough is the lack of FHA approval which precludes a large number of potential buyers from being able to finance & buy. The lack of sales at The Tremont for a period was a result of that as well but the quick summer sales were a direct result of the FHA approval for The Tremont in May 09.

Actually 2 of the 5 retail slots in The Tremont have been sold and occupied since the building was finished September 08. One houses a graphics and internet company, the other is the offices for the restaurant group that owns Mac's, Bonterra, Las Ramblas and a couple others.

As for the residential there are only 12 remaining units of 45. There were a huge slow down in sales for the end of 08 and the first part of 09, but 11 or so sold over the summer and another 4 during the fall. 2 are under contract now.

The tough part for Southborough is the lack of FHA approval which precludes a large number of potential buyers from being able to finance & buy. The lack of sales at The Tremont for a period was a result of that as well but the quick summer sales were a direct result of the FHA approval for The Tremont in May 09.

Thanks for the clarification CN. I mostly passby the Tremont on Tremont (rather than Cleveland) -- from that angle things look pretty barren. I am glad to hear otherwise.

Can you share any info on how the Tremont managed to get FHA approval?

Edited by kermit

I got an East Boulevard Pedscape update flyer from the city today. Const will begin in late Jan and be done by August. Landscaping will commence in the winter. Traffic will be reduced to one lane in each direction with left turns and ped crossings allowed when possible. Work will be done at three blocks at a time in four stages.

Stage 1: medians and CDOT sign installation.

Stage 2: Improvements on N side of E Blvd

Stage 3: Improvements on S side of E Blvd

Stage 4: Repave and strip lanes

In total the project will convert East from Cleveland to DRW to two lanes with a center turn lane,bike lanes,planted medians and on street parking.

The surgery on such an already busy artery will be a major annoyance and disruption but I think the end result will be fantastic. This upgrade will dovetail well with Dilworth Inn and it's accompanying restaurant if that comes to fruition. Making East going into South feel more "neighborhoody" like East below Scott already is will be great.

• 3 weeks later...

Right, this is work following the linked design below. But note the limits of the linked project. In other words, East Blvd. will remain 4 lanes between Camden Rd. and South Blvd, as well as between Dilworth Rd. W. and Scott Ave.

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/City+Engineering/See+Our+Projects/Transportation/Roads/East+Blvd+Pedscape.htm

Right, this is work following the linked design below. But note the limits of the linked project. In other words, East Blvd. will remain 4 lanes between Camden Rd. and South Blvd, as well as between Dilworth Rd. W. and Scott Ave.

http://www.charmeck....vd+Pedscape.htm

In a weird case of technological clairvoyance google maps already shows the divided East blvd between Lennox and Euclid:

View Larger Map">Link for the curious

In real life construction just began Tuesday. The street has been repainted and they are partially finished with breaking up the pavement for the medians.

Edited by kermit

In a weird case of technological clairvoyance google maps already shows the divided East blvd between Lennox and Euclid:

View Larger Map">Link for the curious

In real life construction just began Tuesday. The street has been repainted and they are partially finished with breaking up the pavement for the medians.

That is Google's attempt to figure out how to integrate that stretch of East Blvd with its "StreetView" feature. Its so wide that they treated it like a divided thoroughfare, which IMO speaks to how important the streetscape project is.