Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

• 2 weeks later...

There are four other quads on my block besides mine and 3 of them have For Rent signs up. We also have one posted. Two units empty here, one is For Rent and the other is being repainted etc before being shown I think. Not to mention ones on Tremont,Kenilworth and more. Never seen so many in the neighborhood before. Good deals if you want to rent affordably in Dilworth.

I guess it all comes down to personal preference but base rent on a studio at Camden Dilworth starts at 1000, that's the advertised price. It's usually more once you walk in the door. The older buildings in the neighborhood don't offer any amenities or frills but you can get a one bedroom with a good size bedroom,sittng room and small but decent kitchen in the mid 600s, even less into the 500s if there is no porch or balcony.

^There are so many good deals to be had with all the inventory that's come online in the last year it's unreal. I actually lost a tenant on my rental property to Ashton Southend for about the same rate. They give you 3 months free rent (I assume they just take the 3 month total and deduct that from a year's rent and that's your actual monthly cost). They have great amenities like the rooftop pool, dry cleaning service and nice fitness center.

^ Funny, I was going to ask if anyone here has tried Donato's and what they think of the quality of the pizza?

This was covered in the thread below, but my vote is that Donato's can't be beat. I love it. It's unique, so it's hard to compare with stuff like Fuel, Libretto's, Luisa's, and Portofino...but I think it is at least equally delicious as any of those in its own way.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?/topic/12134-best-pizza-no-chains-please/

^ Funny, I was going to ask if anyone here has tried Donato's and what they think of the quality of the pizza?

A good solid "5" on a scale of "0" to "10". It is your average pizza place. It is worth a visit if noting else is around. It is definately not a venue that I would hope for if a vacancy was tentively becoming occupied.

Edited by caterpillar2

I've gone to the Donato's in Gateway Village before. It's ok for what it is. It's not spectacular by any means, but its not bad either. It's better than Fuel.

I have some beef with them because when they first opened in Gateway I had them deliver a pizza to me and they had carried the box vertically so all everything had slopped down to the side of the box. Needless to say I question their integrity.

• 2 weeks later...

And it looks like The Deck in the old Rock n Lobster spot will be another lame random cheesy bar/grill. You would think after the multiple failures a new concept would be tried.

Actually, it's a new restaurant by the owners of Brixx. It's supposed to be a seafood place. I would imagine that with Brixx running it, it will be better than the past few spots that have occupied that place.

Exciting news in the latest Dilworth Quarterly I received in the mail today! A rezoning request by a "national grocery chain" has been put forth for the former Talley's space in Dilworth Gardens to demolish it and rebuild for an anchor tenant. Anyone heard rumors? Perhaps a Whole Foods....or the like?

Harris Teeter moving? Whole Foods would make sense though, as their Elizabeth and South Park stores are dead in the water.

Based on the size, I would say another Trader Joes is on the way... Whole Foods' first store will be 50k sq feet and will have good visibility, neither of these are achievable on this site!

According to this Talleys is 14,295 sq feet. which is hard to believe in my opinion, but whatever, perfect for TJs.

http://www.loopnet.c...East-Boulevard/

I take this allll back.

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Planning/Rezoning/Rezoning+Petitions/2010+Petitions/2010-027.htm

rezoning petition here, its the whole building, GO WHOLE FOODS!

Edited by Guest

I dunno... even for a company with a culture like Whole Foods, that location is really limited in parking capacity.

That's the first thing I thought when I saw people bring this up. I really don't think Whole Foods is a good fit for this location. One because of the parking and two because of the traffic. Given the fact it would be the first Whole Foods in Charlotte, this place would be a mob scene. Traffic can be a pain in that area as it is. Obviously Trader Joe's wouldn't go here. I think a Fresh Market would be a good candidate. Although it's a very popular store (I'm a fan for one) it won't have quite the same ridiculous traffic given that there's multiple locations in Charlotte already.

Edited by dbull75

Does the application for rezoning open up the opportunity to require the developer to abide by the Complete Street guidelines... i.e. wider sidewalks along East Blvd and Scott Ave with a planting strip between the sidewalk and these two very busy streets...? ..and where is the frigging Bicycle Parking ????

Does the application for rezoning open up the opportunity to require the developer to abide by the Complete Street guidelines... i.e. wider sidewalks along East Blvd and Scott Ave with a planting strip between the sidewalk and these two very busy streets...? ..and where is the frigging Bicycle Parking ????

Unfortunately it doesn't seem that they will change anything on scott or eastblvd. However, they are going for a Pedestrian Overlay District, which will allow them to open up the store to floral avenue, and they have included 3 different pedestrian connectors to the store as well, two on floral and one on scott. They are building the store 10 feet closer to floral, and adding probably 5,000 sq feet total accross the back where the loading dock was, which brings the entire building up to 55,000 sq feet. I am actually VERY excited about this redevelopment, I am just confused as to where they are going to put the loading dock...

That's the first thing I thought when I saw people bring this up. I really don't think Whole Foods is a good fit for this location. One because of the parking and two because of the traffic. Given the fact it would be the first Whole Foods in Charlotte, this place would be a mob scene. Traffic can be a pain in that area as it is. Obviously Trader Joe's wouldn't go here. I think a Fresh Market would be a good candidate. Although it's a very popular store (I'm a fan for one) it won't have quite the same ridiculous traffic given that there's multiple locations in Charlotte already.

To me Dilworth Quarterly words it as a NATIONAL CHAIN, that is currently not in our market. I think with onstreet parking available along floral, and the 3 auxiliary pedestrian entrances, it becomes more plausible.

Edited by Guest

I am jonesin for WF but Fresh Market is a strong possibility as well. They were rumored to going onto Liz Ave after WF dropped out so perhaps with that in slow mo they decided to move to Dilworth. Just really not into Fresh Market personally, I hate their store in Strawberry Hill. It's too crammed with stuff and insanely expensive. Not that Whole Paycheck is not laugh.gif but being a single guy who never cooks I just pick up their to go stuff and prepared foods. So it's not pricey for me. And I think WF is higher quality than FM. Food Lion does not make sense since Bloom is an FL brand and they are about to open just down the road over on Park. It's no secret that HT has not been happy about their cramped space at Kenilworth Commons for years. But there has been a long aborning plan to gut and reconfigure KC for them. Unless they just gave up and this allows them to stay open while creating a whole new space. But that seems like a stretch to say the least. TJ's does not make sense, it's too close to Midtown and they would be cannibalizing their own customer base. The Whole Foods in Chapel Hill exists in a medium size strip mall along with the one in Mount Pleasant across the Cooper River from Charleston. The latter grew out of an old Winn Dixie. I am sure the rumor mill will surface with a likely suspect soon.

Specifically the blurb in DQ says the old Talleys spot, the vacant CMC integrative clinic and other spaces that are not named will be combined following a demo needed by the varying levels of all the spaces. The center section will then be rebuilt to house the chain. Parking entrances and activity on Floral will remain as currently configured. The Land Use CMT has asked the developer to modify the current site so as to allow for safer Ped access to the new store from East.

On the CMC land hoarding front, apparently they have asked DCDA for feedback on how best to utilize the vacant commercial space they own. So I guess the med school plans are on indefinite hold. Would be great if they would re lease the old EBG spot and not kick Cantina out.

Edited by Forrest