Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

I'm not disappointed by it being Fresh Market at all! I think it's great news! Now, I won't have to drive all the way down Providence to get to their Strawberry Hill location for their meats and Peete's coffee! Whole Foods would have been an awful choice for that location IMO.

Anyone been to The Deck yet? I think it's open. I have also been asking around about the replacement for Talleys but have not sniffed it out yet. Heard anything?

I went there over the weekend. It's actually not a bad place, though nothing really makes it stand out either IMO. I only had beer, but my wife had a margarita, a little pricey at $11, but it was pretty strong, and she did like it. I looked at their menu and they seemed to favor things such as fish tacos. I'd be inclined to go back and try their food. I think if they have a DJ or someone playing acoustic on the roof when it's warmer they might do well.

I'm not disappointed by it being Fresh Market at all! I think it's great news! Now, I won't have to drive all the way down Providence to get to their Strawberry Hill location for their meats and Peete's coffee! Whole Foods would have been an awful choice for that location IMO.

I agree - this spot was way too small for a Whole Foods. I'm glad to have a place in the neighborhood that has a better seafood and meat selection - the HT across the street never stacks up to the larger HTs in that department.

Well the Epicurean lot is now overflow parking for 131 Main and their wine bar. At least it's being used for something.

From a City Manager Memo:

According to Code Enforcement staff, this property is being used for parking for 131 Main Restaurant. This is not a permissible use of this site as it does not have the proper zoning permit. A notice of violation was issued on February 25, 2010. The property owner has 30 days to comply.

I guess I've never thought about it before, but can 131 Main be held liable for people parking in other lots (off 131 Main's property) like that?

I know this won't sound like a great idea to most people on this board, but Dilworth is in major need of a parking deck, and this would be a good spot, as long as it had retail and offices and etc.

^although i think its not too difficult to park in dilworth, that site probably NEEDS to be a dense mixed-use project with a deck (i've given up on ever seeing any new multi-faceted storefront/loft type development) to fulfill the potential of that block. any East blvd-facing retail there would symbiotically help the businesses across the street i think. this is one of the few sites in Charlotte that i am confident will be mostly retail-oriented and done reasonably well, when it finally happens.

far more than dilworth though, i think Southend really needs a public deck towards uptown. all those surface lots are being used, so a deck will probably need to precede any big development there.

• Like 1

I still think the Blockbuster site needs to be combined with Epicurean for any sizeable development, be it mixed-use, just retail, and/or a parking deck.

Judging by the financial state of Blockbusters retail stores, they might be interested in selling (assuming they own the building)

Well the rental glut continues unabated here in Dilworth. I am now the last tenant in my quad. Not that it's a novel situation, the For Rent signs are sprouting like kudzu on my stretch of Park, Tremont,Kenilworth etc. And this is the low end of the market. The new luxury complexes in Southend look pretty dead too. Feels a little creepy and glad I am friends with the house next door. On the bright side, for the time being I have all of the trash cans and parking to myself. And free reign over spring planting the front yard.

Edited by Forrest

Well the rental glut continues unabated here in Dilworth. I am now the last tenant in my quad. Not that it's a novel situation, the For Rent signs are sprouting like kudzu on my stretch of Park, Tremont,Kenilworth etc. And this is the low end of the market. The new luxury complexes in Southend look pretty dead too. Feels a little creepy and glad I am friends with the house next door. On the bright side, for the time being I have all of the trash cans and parking to myself. And free reign over spring planting the front yard.

I think the new luxury places in SouthEnd are filling in slowly but surely. I just lost my renter to Ashton and she indicated that it took her almost a week to get access to the elevators to move in there (due to other move-ins). Thanks to the plethora of choices in Dilworth and South End, it's a good time to be a renter.

I think the new luxury places in SouthEnd are filling in slowly but surely. I just lost my renter to Ashton and she indicated that it took her almost a week to get access to the elevators to move in there (due to other move-ins). Thanks to the plethora of choices in Dilworth and South End, it's a good time to be a renter.

It is a good time to be a renter. My partner and I scored a two year lease for a larger apartment at a lower price than what we were paying previously. Plan to purchase at the end of the two years but certainly willing to ride the rental deals right now.

As I said in another thread - I think the discounts while not favorable to developers and landlords will be paying off in the end with what I believe will be an influx of people willing to snatch those rental deals.

my girlfriend is finally moving to Charlotte and we did our apartment hunting this weekend (we like living alone for now). there were SO many great deals in Dilworth, Elizabeth and Southend that were unheard of when I moved here, that I'm considering breaking my lease uptown and moving to one of these quads.

she ended up choosing a place in Myers Park/Selwyn instead which had the nicest interior, but I was floored at the great options around there too.

Anyone been to The Deck yet? I think it's open. I have also been asking around about the replacement for Talleys but have not sniffed it out yet. Heard anything?

Wow! Just found this site after googling FRESH MARKET DILWORTH (had just heard a rumor when I popped into Peek-a-boo Couture, which is moving to Met Midtown)! This is a great resource and I am thrilled at the prospect of The Fresh Market filling the old Talley's spot - Whole Foods would be my 1st choice, but a quick gourmet food store within walking distance of my house will definitely do.

As for the Deck... I stopped in there last night with some friends, granted, it was a Tuesday - but at 8:45pm, we were the ONLY people in there with the exception of maybe 3 guys at the bar. I was very excited to learn that the brains behind Brixx were taking over this spot, but I still felt like there was a bit of an identity crisis going on in there? I'm a believer that "drink specials" should always be in the marketing mix and it bugs me when a brand new place thinks it's not necessary. Especially on East Blvd. If not careful, it won't be long before there will be a giant banner out front saying "DRINK SPECIALS!" which is a sure-fire sign that they'll be on their way out. While the waiter who helped us was GREAT... they did not have any bud light and two of their four taps were empty. So... I am not so sure I'm feeling the vibe or exactly what type of crowd they're hoping to attract.

So anyway... my .02 about The Deck & the Fresh Market. Again... so glad I found this site! What took me so long!?

Welcome to UP Cooper! grin.png

^ I agree although have to preface that I have not been to The Deck yet. From the outside and despite the pedigree of the owners it just seems as halfas## as Plan B and Rock n Lobster were. Not a strong impression, no curb appeal. Maybe it's because of the worn building. But the latest incarnation does not entice me to stop and walk in.

Edited by Forrest

Well, it seems that Dilworth Inn is out. The vacant buildings that were slated to be demoed have an "Available" sign up in front of them. I just noticed it yesterday while walking to Common Market. Not surprising given current conditions.

East Blvd's lipo is moving at a fast clip. The medians went in seemingly overnight in front of Paperskyscraper. And the obstacle course has advanced toward the church blocks.

• 2 weeks later...

Walking back from dinner tonight I noticed that Dikadees Deli is gone. Their food was fine but never better than average. And the service could be uneven. On the bright side Something Classic is opening a cafe in the space and extending service into the evenings with light fare, wine, and cupcakes! Plan to open sometime this spring. Sounds good to me.

Walking back from dinner tonight I noticed that Dikadees Deli is gone. Their food was fine but never better than average. And the service could be uneven. On the bright side Something Classic is opening a cafe in the space and extending service into the evenings with light fare, wine, and cupcakes! Plan to open sometime this spring. Sounds good to me.

What I heard was that a few months ago, new management came in and fired everyone and tried to start anew. Only thing is, they didn't have to - Dikadee's always had a loyal following as far as I saw. I have spoken to several people that live/work within a few blocks and they said it just wasn't the same anymore after the regular staff (that knew the regulars by name) were there anymore, the menu had changed, and basically they just quit going there. I never made it there after the management change, but I guess you shouldn't mess with what works.

What I heard was that a few months ago, new management came in and fired everyone and tried to start anew. Only thing is, they didn't have to - Dikadee's always had a loyal following as far as I saw. I have spoken to several people that live/work within a few blocks and they said it just wasn't the same anymore after the regular staff (that knew the regulars by name) were there anymore, the menu had changed, and basically they just quit going there. I never made it there after the management change, but I guess you shouldn't mess with what works.

I had been going there for years as well. The staff were all very nice. Like most restaurants there was some turnover but the core employees kept me coming back. Something Classic will be a good fit I think. Especially glad that they will be open in the evenings. The activity will help liven up the block later in the day. Thank goodness another bar/grill is not taking over the space. I think we have those covered now on East.

Don't know the particulars on the Fresh Market renovation across the street at DG. The blurb in Dilworth Quarterly mentioned taking over "spaces" but did not identify tenants.