Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

In a stroke of artistic genius CDOT has rebuilt a section of the uncovered streetcar tracks and placed them in the median at East and Euclid. I don't know if they plan to continue the theme further east.

Its waaayyyyy better than the same old landscaping.

DSCN1642.jpg

That is frickin' awesome! It honestly made me a little sick to see those tracks being ripped up. Just made me think about all those historic photos when all the streetcars connected Dilworth with downtown which was was hopping with activity and retail...

On another note, I went to my barber above the old Dikadee's today to get a haircut, and he said that Dikadee's was actually planning on relocating. He said that he had heard that the rent was extremely high in that spot. I guess the new management guessed paying prime rental prices for a place open from 11-3 wasn't worth it. No confirmation or anything...just hearsay.

There has been a sizeable uptick in ped traffic since Bloom opened down the block from me. The Scary-Lo was avoided like the plague by this part of Dilworth and it's nice to see the area humming again.

and parking in the HT lot has gotten much easier.....

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps it's just me but after 5 years of living in Dilworth I think this neighborhood has only gotten snobbier and less friendly. To me there used to be a discernably less snooty vibe between Dilworth and Myers Park/Eastover. Not so much anymore. Used to say hi to people walking by but the majority just ignore you, look through you or reply with the fakest insincere greeting ever. So I don't bother at all. I only greet people I know. Too many residents here also seem to think driving a fancy car just gives them the right to cut everyone else off on the road and the sidewalk. I am so over it.

• 3 weeks later...

Heard yesterday that Crisp the salad cafe @ 7th and Caswell is opening a second location in Dilworth. They plan to be next to Fresh Market which will be moving into the old Talleys spot after a major overhaul. Makes sense to me. If they are going to be opening in conjunction with the market we are in for a long wait.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Today's business journal (in the table talk section) reported that The Fresh Market has decided not to go into the former Talley's site. I drove by this morning and did see a big available sign in the window.

Serious bummer, I was looking forward to a teeter alternative in the hood. Perhaps they will consider a much desired Southend TOD site for the store? (the old Jillian's perhaps?)

That is a serious letdown. That center is getting blighted. Then you have the ugly epicurean lot, the empty CHC properties. Dilworth's main drag is pretty shabby these days.

A stark contrast to the energetic new subdistrict @ Selwyn&Colony.

Watch out for WBTV to come and announce Dilworth is "in crisis" like they did for NoDa. [url=http://www.wbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13776195#]NoDa Hit Hard By Recession[/url. Maybe they'll even interview people who don't even live in your neighborhood like they did for us.

Watch out for WBTV to come and announce Dilworth is "in crisis" like they did for NoDa. [url=http://www.wbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13776195#]NoDa Hit Hard By Recession[/url. Maybe they'll even interview people who don't even live in your neighborhood like they did for us.

Is there when they interview suburbanites who never venture uptown, yet claim people get robbed and mugged there?

Anyways, it's a shame that the Fresh Market fell through there. The Dilworth/SouthEnd area is so ripe for one that hopefully another location nearby can be worked out.

Southpark Cycles is closing their South Blvd. location and relocating to Dilworth Gardens between the CMC Wellness Center and Poi Poi. Probably a much better location. They will re-open as QueenCity Bicycles on January 10th.

niiice. that's something lacking in dilworth that should do really well. it kind of factors into my decision for my upcoming move too, haha

I've been meaning to mention this for a while, but the amount of pedestrian traffic for the Bloom has been very nice to see. I either walk or bike over there for groceries, and I don't think there's ever been a time where I wasn't the only person arriving by non-car means. The little alley coming off Ideal Way could have definitely been made more pedestrian friendly, but that doesn't seem to have impeded it's use by folks walking in from Dilworth.

Southpark Cycles is closing their South Blvd. location and relocating to Dilworth Gardens between the CMC Wellness Center and Poi Poi. Probably a much better location. They will re-open as QueenCity Bicycles on January 10th.

Great! That center needs a boost now that Fresh Market is a nogo for the anchor vacancy.

Edited by Dilworthy

• 1 month later...

Walked through "lower Dilworth" (Iverson, Ideal, Dorthy etc.) today and discovered some signs of new lot scrape / rebuild. Since this 'refill' activity had largely vanished over the past 18 months I was surprised to see it.

To be specific:

one lot had been scraped on Winthrop, a sign was up suggesting a Saussy Burbank spec house (not sure about the spec part but I would not have expected a big sign with rendering if it was a contract house)

One old house on Ideal Way was in the early stages of the moving process (e.g. steel beams poking through holes in the foundation)

EDIT: Based on the parking situation it appears that the residential portions of the Tremont have finally started to sell. (the office / business space on street level still looks bleak to me)

Edited by kermit