Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

• 3 weeks later...

The fences are up and East Blvd Bar and Grill is already torn down. That was earlier this week so maybe all four buildings are down along East by now. I wonder what they will do with this land while they wait to get funding for the school?

Its actually going to be a park with a small parking lot (damn it)

Wow, really? That was unexpected.

Should we assume that the park is just a temporary placeholder until building begins?

Thats pretty much the best case scenario. As of now CMC has no plans to build on this site, and they will use it as extra parking, and a small neighborhood park. Let just hope the park is closer to the road than the parking.

• 2 weeks later...

CMC has begun the expansion of Morehead Medical Plaza II (the one story medical office building at Morehead and Harding Pl). They will be taking the existing building to six stories, and it will house the Levine Cancer Institute.

• 1 month later...

There is a sign up at the old Sole saying it will be a pizza place and is now hiring. Also, the Picasso's sign was taken down and now it is Sutton House. I am not sure why that happened.

The business journal had an article on this this week (I have since misplaced it). Its the same guy who started the Moe's, Mamma Fu's, Flying Biscuit chains (he has since sold that holding company). The Pizza place is the second(?) location of his new chain (his other chain in the new holding company is the Penguin).

As a former customer of the original Flying Biscuit I am not super excited about the new Pizza joint (although its certainly better than vacancy).

EDIT: Found the article. The "brand maven" is Martin Sprock (aka the Piguin killer)The Pizza place is The Original Italian Pie which started in New Orleans. It should open "next month."

it also said we have this to look forward to:

Charlotte is Sprock’s new laboratory, with plans to have his entire collection of brands open here. That will allow Sprock to fly in prospective franchisees to sample the various offerings and choose one or more for development in various markets.

Growth on Martin Sprock’s menu {sodEmoji.|} Charlotte Business Journal

Forgive my pessimism, I had to eat at Moes too many times when my kid was small.....

Big surprise about Picasso's. The new name suggests a major change in character.

Edited by kermit

From what I was told by the employees at Picasso's, the last owner that bought the place only bought Picasso's because he had always wanted to own a restaurant. Unfortunately, even though he wanted to own a restaurant he sure as hell didn't know how to run and operate one. The employees did not tell me specifically what lead to the downfall of Picasso's, but I can only assume that it was a bunch of bad decisions with the finances.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone heard any feedback from the city on the East blvd road diet? (in terms of traffic volumes, accident rates etc.). I drive on the street frequently and have not noticed congestion problems but left turns onto East do seem trickier than they have been in the past. That said, as a pedestrian in the area I think the medians are a HUGE improvement and they have significantly expanded my activity space -- so some negative impacts to traffic are (IMO) a fair trade.

Has there been any pushback against other road diet projects around the South? The only problems I have heard were in Carolina beach where summer tourist congestion will cause the local DOT to revert back to four lanes from the current dieted 2 lanes, turn lane and bike path.

http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20110724/ARTICLES/110729832/1004?Title=Carolina-Beach-road-diet-makeover-It-s-not-done-til-it-s-undone-

Has anyone heard any feedback from the city on the East blvd road diet? (in terms of traffic volumes, accident rates etc.). I drive on the street frequently and have not noticed congestion problems but left turns onto East do seem trickier than they have been in the past. That said, as a pedestrian in the area I think the medians are a HUGE improvement and they have significantly expanded my activity space -- so some negative impacts to traffic are (IMO) a fair trade.

I am on East all the time, and I never notice any significant congestion. Also, I thought it was interesting that you mentioned that left turns seem trickier - that was one thing in particular that I thought was easier now! I do think it's a great improvement - no complaints here.

I am on East all the time, and I never notice any significant congestion. Also, I thought it was interesting that you mentioned that left turns seem trickier - that was one thing in particular that I thought was easier now! I do think it's a great improvement - no complaints here.

Ugh, this is something my mom and I argue about every time I'm in Charlotte... I love it, she hates it. I explain how she is wrong to hate it and that it slows down traffic and makes it easier on left turners and bikers. She says its a free for all race between Dilworth Rd. and Scott for people the try to get in front of eachother, and it can be dangerous. I think its great, but I also live couple hundred miles away in Brooklyn... So there are people who dislike the road diet...

My issue with left turns (and also just crossing in a car) is twofold:

First, there are frequently trees and parked cars blocking my view of traffic from my left (particularly on the Latta Park side of Lyndhurst and Springdale)

Second, the medians are not quite big enough to get half way across and wait. Before the diet I could generally sneak into the middle turn lane and wait while making a left.

None of this is a big deal, I think that the changes were a BIG improvement. But I did want to get the thoughts of others on the changes.

Has there been any pushback against other road diet projects around the South? The only problems I have heard were in Carolina beach where summer tourist congestion will cause the local DOT to revert back to four lanes from the current dieted 2 lanes, turn lane and bike path.

http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20110724/ARTICLES/110729832/1004?Title=Carolina-Beach-road-diet-makeover-It-s-not-done-til-it-s-undone-

If definitely is a little more difficult to make a left hand turn onto East (I regularly take Euclid from Morehead St. and have to turn left on East....when there are cars on the opposite side trying to turn left also there is absolutely no room to turn. I guess as long as it doesnt get too busy (which i dont think it will) then we should be fine. For the Greek Festival, i typically try to avoid East Blvd. altogether! :wacko:

The "free for all" between DRE and Scott is really not that bad, and in my opinion not that dangerous. Before the diet, between Park and Euclid, I consistently was passed by cars barreling down the road at 50mph plus. Now, as I drive 5 mph under, those idiots simply ride my bumper. This is probably better for pedestrians. Also the patrol car which was a fixture between Springdale and Park is now able to go out and patrol for something hopefully more productive. Before the diet, between Kings and Scott, the owner of East Blvd Bar and Grill, (which at the time was across the street from Caribou) reported weekly wrecks from cars traveling too fast, and confused drivers making lefts, rights, and who knows what into a myriad of curbcuts, and intersections. After the diet, very few accidents appear to occur in this area.

Oh, and I love the change. My only criticism would be aesthetic. Before, the curb line from DRE to South was as straight as an arrow. This created a nice orderly and symmetric vista. The new changes have destroyed that.

Edited by archiham04

• 2 weeks later...

There was actually a plan for a 8-10 story office building somewhere over there as well at one point, i don't know if this was the site...

With that said, this site is actually being rezoned mixed use(from office), and the plan is for 600,000 sq feet of space to be built which will INCLUDE a 300 aparment building, which would only probably encompass about 1/2-3/4 of the space depending on size of apartments. So we will probably have office and retail uses as well hopefully.

It appears that the Tremont now has commercial tenants in at least two of its ground floor slots. Once is offices, the other is a craft bead shop. The bead shop is a very nice addition to the neighborhood, its on the corner of Tremont and Cleveland so it has good visibility (for that building) and looks attractive.

Filling some of the ground floor space has made a BIG difference in the appearance of this project.

I counted no less than six teardown / rebuild single family residential projects in the Sunset Hills (Winthrop and Dorothy) portion of the neighborhood this morning.

Its curious to see since SFH housing that is for sale in the more established portions of Dilworth is still languishing on the market.

• 3 weeks later...