Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

Given that square footage and the site, we're probably talking what, a 4-5 story building? I think the choice of architect is very exciting too. I know I've seen their website before...have they done anything in Charlotte? I'm thinking they might have been the architect for one of the stalled towers.

I'm still a little sad that nothing will replace Frankies though. I feel like that area could support a bit more retail.

Gensler is an excellent firm. Although I'm not super-familiar with their portfolio, I think most of their Charlotte-area work is interiors (at the DEC, among others). What goes up at that site should be very good - hopefully a little more forward looking than most of those very suburban office buildings on Morehead now.

• 1 month later...

And evidently, the days are numbered for the "free for all" section of East (see "conceptual design sketches" PDF on linked web page):

http://charmeck.org/.../East_Blvd.aspx

I am a big fan of the road diet at either end of East but the recently completed restriping of the middle section is (IMO) not an improvement. Cars stack up at the lights at Scott and Kenilworth all the way past Dilworth rd east at peak times, this makes it tough to get into the new turn lanes. I hope it gets better as folks get used to it but at the moment it does not feel like an improvement.

• 2 months later...

One of the many things that is going on around the morehead area, completely under the radar! Its exciting! I think that this Morehead Corridor along with Cherry, Elizabeth and Midtown is the future of development in Charlotte! My wife hates the look of this, but I think its appropriate for the economy, and not all that bad looking.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

^ No idea but the windows are papered up and there is evidence that interior work IS going on. Hey at least it never stays empty for long. I think we just need a more unique concept there...I picture something a little trendier like a Soul or Bistro LaBon, something that might capitalize more on that sweet roof deck as a place to hang out and have drinks.

Good riddance to Boardwalk Billy's. Mediocre food and deplorable service.

Anyone know what is going where Boardwalk Billy's used to be? I really wish that people would quit putting a bar/restaurant concept in that spot. Every year the place is something new!

Today's CBJ reports that the space will be filled by JJ's Red Hots (a hot dog / sandwich / salad joint). Opening is planned for "late spring or early summer" They plan to keep the rooftop patio.

The fact that the Blockbuster and Boardwalk Billy's spaces can re-tenet so quickly just goes to show how much pent-up demand for more businesses this area has. It also speaks volumes about how other sites on East Boulevard used for parking, such as CMC's "linear park" (former East Blvd. Bar & Grill) or The Epicurean lot opposite 131 Main, are truly underutilized.

Today's CBJ reports that the space will be filled by JJ's Red Hots (a hot dog / sandwich / salad joint). Opening is planned for "late spring or early summer" They plan to keep the rooftop patio.

I hope that this new place can work. I remember that there used to be a hot dog place in the shopping center behind Outback several years ago that unfortunately closed up shop. I was disappointed cause it was one of the new cheap to eat places in Dilworth! If this new place can pull off their concept I think they can make it. The last several restaurants that have been in that spot have all been seafood related in some form it seems.

In small project news:

Teardowns are accelerating in the McDonald ave area. Three lot scrape / rebuilds are in currently in progress on McDonald, two others appear to be pending.

There _may_ be a new multi-family project in the works in Dilworth. Demolition is underway on the four remaining single family houses on the west side of Euclid between Tremont and McDonald. These houses have been used for offices for the past decade. This is the last remaining gap between the new multi-family condo structures on the block so the new landuse seems obvious, but I have not heard any project announcements yet.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Euclid+ave+28203&hl=en&ll=35.207422,-80.858286&spn=0.000507,0.000687&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=45.284089,90.087891&hnear=Euclid+Ave,+Charlotte,+Mecklenburg,+North+Carolina+28203&t=h&z=21&layer=c&cbll=35.207354,-80.858361&panoid=4Vgg-bDzHzrCuDWIVz0k4A&cbp=12,1.99,,0,6.41

• 2 weeks later...

Today's CBJ reports that Sweet Loraine's French Bakery will take some space at 200 East -- I believe these are the old houses converted to storefronts at Cleveland ave.

I would really like to see a pedestrian corridor develop between this end of East and Tryon.

Edited by kermit

• 2 weeks later...